Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitchblack Motorsports Rally e30 318i (now with M50) - and some Porsche 924S stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol....

I actually got it in without taking out the front seats (yay 4-door!) so that was good, though did scrape up my rocker panel on one side manhandling it in (like I care).

Even with the curved plates, though, they don't really sit very flush. I have almost a finger gap at the bottom of the right side one (left side is much closer)

Also, what did you do on the floor since it overhangs the floor "contour" there? I'm thinking I'll just get some 3/8" aluminum sheet pieces and use them to "fill the gap" on the lower side.....or did you just bolt them up and crank em down until it flattened the floor ridge?

The other issue, of course, is that I'm going to have to change my cargo carrying methods. The only way to get the wheels into the backseat now is to mahandle them past the driver's seat tilted forward, which will suck when they're all muddy... :P I can still get them in as you can see in the pic, but may not be worth the effort.

I can put the tires in the trunk, but then my two "field boxes" of stuff that are usually there can't fit in the backseat either. In the end, I may just get some smaller field boxes, lol.....nothing I can't work around, but I was *kind of* hoping the wheels/tires could fit through the side opening on the bar....oh well :)
    Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
    Track/street e21 build
    visit Condor Speed Shop
    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

I'd add washers in that gap.
      Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

you best bet would be to have it welded in. jus sayin

Comment

yeah, but I want the option to pull it out easily and put it in another car if need be. The *slight* increase in supposed safety isn't a worthwhile tradeoff in hassle for rally-x.
          I plan to use oversized sandwiched baseplates anyhow, so punch-through isn't a concern.

That and it's still far better than no roll bar.
          Track/street e21 build
          visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Weird with that contour/ridge there, my car does not have that, the Kirk bar in my car was flush with the floor. Can you move the roll bar forward so it's flush with the lower part of the floor and see if it still will connect at the wheel wells?

As for hauling stuff, yea it's hard. At least you have te rear doors, my rear seat area is judt show now with the roll bar and fixed back seats. Get a roof rack and mount stuff up there? I'm planning a roof rack tire hauler. When I am on an actual computer I will post some examples.

Comment

Originally posted by kts View Post
              Weird with that contour/ridge there, my car does not have that, the Kirk bar in my car was flush with the floor. Can you move the roll bar forward so it's flush with the lower part of the floor and see if it still will connect at the wheel wells?

As for hauling stuff, yea it's hard. At least you have te rear doors, my rear seat area is judt show now with the roll bar and fixed back seats. Get a roof rack and mount stuff up there? I'm planning a roof rack tire hauler. When I am on an actual computer I will post some examples.
              that photo is looking toward the rear of the car - that contour/ridge runs front to back on the floorpan on mine so yeah it's kind of wierd. But my car is an early model so maybe later cars got a flatter floorpan. The contour is the same on the underside of the floorpan as well, obviously. I may just build it up flat with fiberglass, really. It's not as pronounced in reality as it looks in the ultra-closeup photo. Else I'll just use some aluminum plate to level it. Not really an issue, just didn't know that it's not the same in other cars.
              Track/street e21 build
              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Because 4 door?

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

I was also disappointed when my roll bar ruined my ability to carry a set of wheels/tires in the back seat :( I used some washers to fill up the mounting plate gaps.

S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
                  What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
                  Originally posted by slammin.e28
                  I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Comment

^^ nice setup.

Thankfully, the rally tires are narrow enough that they can stack 2-high in the trunk (can fit all four in there + a full size spare if needed), so I luckily won't need a cart. I just have to find new gear boxes that will fit in the back.

If I ever do a track setup, then I will have to take a look into a trailer or tire tail.......since the bigger tires will definitely not fit.

Aside from not knowing if my little M10 could actually PULL a small trailer up any significant hill, lol.......
                    Track/street e21 build
                    visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
                      speaking of sponsorship stickars....a bit of new representin'

Don't fall out your window.
                      E30 buildy things
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
                        that photo is looking toward the rear of the car - that contour/ridge runs front to back on the floorpan on mine so yeah it's kind of wierd. But my car is an early model so maybe later cars got a flatter floorpan. The contour is the same on the underside of the floorpan as well, obviously. I may just build it up flat with fiberglass, really. It's not as pronounced in reality as it looks in the ultra-closeup photo. Else I'll just use some aluminum plate to level it. Not really an issue, just didn't know that it's not the same in other cars.

Weird. Not sure if that's a 2 door vs 4 door thing or an early model vs later model thing or what. I think you could either just hammer it down where the roll bar will mount or use some steel or aluminum stock/plate to level it. If you want to get really fancy I do have a welder and we can weld stuff to the body of the car to make it level. You'd need to drive up to my place though.

But yea very weird.

As for the "semi-flush-ish" backing plates that looks better than mine were even with banging mine into shape a bit. When you bolt the backing plate together it will be flush and you'll be good to go.

Since you'll be getting the car really dirty I would hit the backing plate and nuts with a coating of rubberized undercoating when you're finished to keep water/mud/yuck out of there. I did it for my set up just because. The previous owner of my setup did the same and it was easy to remove the coating from the nuts/bolts should you ever need to remove it from the car.

Comment

Before running out this afternoon/evening for a wedding, went ahead and installed the bar. Pretty straightforward, nothing real exciting other than getting it where I wanted it. I drilled and loose-bolted the main hoop feet first, then did the backstays.

though the foot plates on the backstay are curved to contour to the wheel wells, the backing plates are not, so I did some pre-bending with a propane torch and a vise..

Did a pretty good job at getting the contour I think. The bolt threads sticking out so far make me a bit nervous with the soft springs on this car, though don't *think* that the tire could possibly contact them. But I may flip them and put the nut on the inside of the car. Not like I care about the cosmetic aspect there...

Once tightened down it did deform the wheel well curvature a bit, but not too much, and not that I care

I used a few washers to level the floor plates, but didn't really need to. Once tightened down, as expected, it just flattened out the little ridge in the floor pan.

Unlike the autopower bar, which sits on the raised section of the floorpan and causes interference with the fuel/brake lines underneath, the Kirk bar mounts a bit farther inboard so no issues at all - just clean (well, muddy actually) floor pan to deal with

will hit everything up with undercoating once I do a final torquing tomorrow. The "inside" face of the backing plates I already painted with POR-15 to keep any rusting away.
                          Track/street e21 build
                          visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Awesome looks good. Now time for harnesses and fixed back seats!

Comment

perhaps for next season, once I replenish the car fund with my winter part-time job :)

I already have a Sparco 5-point harness. And I really don't want a fixed-back seat, especially since the only way to get wheels in the back now is to tilt the driver's seat forward.........and also because I don't want to drive several hours to the track in "race poisition" lol.
                              Track/street e21 build
                              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Finished up the rollbar stuff today. Well, except I still need to go pick up some SFI-rated padding next weekend out at OG Racing, which thankfully is local and a great place to get race gear.

Fully installed:

one reason I went with the Kirk over the Autopower (among others) is that I wanted to make sure there was clearance for my hand-crank rear windows. I don't think they autopower would clear, since its legs mount farther outward and they don't kink in like the Kirk.

wheel well backing plates undercoated and all the gaps filled to keep rust out. I also flipped the bolts so as not to have 1" of thread sticking down into the wheel well to hold mud (and possibly contact the tire on a hard impact?).

and mocked up a mount for the GoPro, using regular GoPro components. This is a work in progress :)

Track/street e21 build
                                visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Working...
                                X