Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitchblack Motorsports Rally e30 318i (now with M50) - and some Porsche 924S stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you need to bring it down to an event at VIR, when tarheel has another event there.

Comment

I'm at VIR this weekend. Both saturday and sunday for USDrift.

Not some fancy dirt skidding. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by tzdevill View Post
        you need to bring it down to an event at VIR, when tarheel has another event there.
        yep, schedule permitting I would definitely like to. Maybe do a trackday the same weekend in the car :) I couldn't go to the one this year because I was going to Ohio for GLDivs the next week (IIRC) and I'm not made of money, lol.

Originally posted by shiboujin View Post
        I'm at VIR this weekend. Both saturday and sunday for USDrift.

Not some fancy dirt skidding. ;)
        Ain't that the fancy car-drivin' where there be judges to decide who wins, kind like figure skating? ;)

Yoshi, you see Ana down there? She was doing a trackday in her e30.
        Last edited by irish44j; 10-04-2014, 03:39 PM.
        Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
        Track/street e21 build
        visit Condor Speed Shop
        visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

100k views! I guess I'm doing something right here, lol...
          Track/street e21 build
          visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Eh, Judges smudges.

I didn't see Ana. VIR is freaking HUGE! Hard to find anything in there.

Comment

So RallyCross nationals is going on right now out in bumfuck midwest. Needless to say, I don't have a spare $1k sitting around for fuel for towing, so I didn't bother with it. However, a couple of the fast guys from OVR went (Pete in the RX7 and Evan in the turbo Miata), so following it to see how they do, since we were all pretty evenly matched at Great Lakes Challenge last month.

Anyhow, the early word is that the nationals course is lousy, they had a ton of rain and it's rutting up badly, and two cars have even rolled over (a Golf and a WRX) due to the ruts. Will be interested to hear the takeaway, but it sounds like a lot of people are pretty unhappy with the event overall talking to some people I know who are there. Aside from that though, Pete's car (with another driver) is currently leading MR with Evan right behind him, so I kind of wish I was there anyhow, lol.

Whatever....we have an event next weekend where I need to get going and keep the pressure on Nick (we each have 2 event wins this year and are tied in points). He apparently fixed a few things on his engine (02 sensor) and says the car is much more powerful now. Yay.....

In the meantime, a little project I've been meaning to do for a while: Seat. The old Sparco seat I've been using has two (minor) problems: First, the black center section had totally faded to a dull green color. And you guys know I like my stuff to match, lol...Also, for my "custom" pass-through for the submarine strap on the harness, I fed it through the foam and have basically just been using duct tape to keep the cloth from ripping, etc. But it doesn't last long and gets torn up.

So today I cut up an old canvas bag and made some "flaps" for the slot to get rid of that issue. Used heavy-duty adhesive to attach it (and it runs through the slot and wraps under the seat cushion as well). It won't make the car any faster, but it gets rid of annoying sticky duct tape under my legs at least. And while I was at it I got some fabric spray dye and re-blacked the seat.

Little stuff, but at least I did something productive today...

Track/street e21 build
              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Another event in the books. Here's the cliff notes because I'm way too worn out to do a full recap right now.

1. weather was great, and a lot of standing water. And for once they ran the course through ALL of it, which was a lot of fun.
                2. 18 runs is always good
                3. I started off strong and fast and then had a mental lapse for a few runs in the middle of the day, got off rhythm, and took out way too many cones. Started the afternoon 14 seconds behind first thanks to that. Got focused, and clawed back to within 2 seconds of the win, and also put down the fastest single run of any non-AWD car.
                4. None of that matters, because Nick won. So now it's do or die for the season points. I have to win the next two events.
                5. Car was great as usual, drive home was looooong and cruised nicely at 75 the whole time. Within 3 miles of home out of nowhere got some vibration like a rear wheel was loose. Checked lugs, checked hubs, everything tight. I'm hoping for a loose driveshaft bolt or something at this point. Other possibilities are a shot center support bearing (which would be odd because this one doesn't have a lot of miles on it), and that my diff is going (which wouldn't be surprising seeing as it's the ORIGINAL 3.91 LSD). None of these alternatives makes me happy. Will have some work to do before the next event.
                Last edited by irish44j; 10-13-2014, 08:57 AM.
                Track/street e21 build
                visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

*OFF TOPIC* Did you used to own and autox a maxima? maxima.org?
                  2.7i Stroker Turbo Build Thread

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

Originally posted by cleanasse30 View Post
                    I did....I used to be a moderator on that site :)

Track/street e21 build
                    visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Dammit! That event in Hebron was like 35 min from me...well assuming I hadn't moved across country. Awesome pictures as usual!
                      91 318is M50 swapped
                      05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
                        I did....I used to be a moderator on that site :)

Nice! We've both had similar car interests since this is the 3rd forum I've found you on. I had a '90 3rd gen and a '94 VE 3rd gen w. nitrous back in the maxima days, then moved on to a 02 WRX that I had making 330whp when I sold it last year. Now I have an '90 e30 that I'm building a stroker turbo setup for. Keep up the racing! Looks like a great time!
                        2.7i Stroker Turbo Build Thread

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
                          Another event in the books. Here's the cliff notes because I'm way too worn out to do a full recap right now.

1. weather was great, and a lot of standing water. And for once they ran the course through ALL of it, which was a lot of fun.
                          2. 18 runs is always good
                          3. I started off strong and fast and then had a mental lapse for a few runs in the middle of the day, got off rhythm, and took out way too many cones. Started the afternoon 14 seconds behind first thanks to that. Got focused, and clawed back to within 2 seconds of the win, and also put down the fastest single run of any non-AWD car.
                          4. None of that matters, because Nick won. So now it's do or die for the season points. I have to win the next two events.
                          5. Car was great as usual, drive home was looooong and cruised nicely at 75 the whole time. Within 3 miles of home out of nowhere got some vibration like a rear wheel was loose. Checked lugs, checked hubs, everything tight. I'm hoping for a loose driveshaft bolt or something at this point. Other possibilities are a shot center support bearing (which would be odd because this one doesn't have a lot of miles on it), and that my diff is going (which wouldn't be surprising seeing as it's the ORIGINAL 3.91 LSD). None of these alternatives makes me happy. Will have some work to do before the next event.
                          That's super weird. I'm trying to think of what other random things it might be, but nothing is coming to mind. Pick up some debris in a tire that unbalanced them?

Here's some vids from this weekends wet-n-wild course. The first is the morning and the second is the afternoon. The morning run had a nice "pucker" moment ;) The afternoon was one of the first runs and pretty crappy. Frustrating that it didn't record the faster runs from the middle of that session.

Comment

Originally posted by cleanasse30 View Post
                            The org is strongly represented on this site...
                            Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

So, been racking my brain about the vibrations. I took the right rear apart and found that the inner cap of the outer CV joint had popped off. It's press-fit and I don't think I could make it hold easily. Plus crap might already be in there....who knows how long it's been off. So first I ordered a cheap rebuilt from Rockauto. It was crap, the joints were not assembled well so I sent that back. Managed to find a couple OEM axles in a e30 chop-shop locally for cheap so picked them up.

btw, here's the old axle with the cap off:

Installed, checked bearings and they were good. Also checked the driveshaft, CSB, and guibo. Everything looked good and felt tight.

Should be good to go. Test drive. NOPE. Same problem, no change. So while I did fix something that needed attention, it wasn't what needed fixing apparently.

Racking my brain, several more test drives, I'm pretty convinced my diff is shot somehow. Not sure why it would happen so fast. Start looking around for a replacement.

I get to thinking that my diff was fine for the last 3 years, and before Ohio I replaced the fluid with some Amsoil severe gear with some LSD additive, which worked fine for 500 miles. But what the hell, last-ditch I'll replace that and see what happens. Drained the fluid (no metal shavings or anything). Put in some Royal Purple.

What do you know.....it's smooth again. I guess the Amsoil and additive were keeping the LSD from unlocking and/or causing the chatter and rear end "step-out" on deceleration. Once replaced, it works like it should again.

This is what I get for trying to do pre-emptive maintenance, lol.

Anyhow, mystery solved for $20. yay.

Next event next weekend. Gotta beat Nick these last two events if I'm going to win the season. Tall order, we'll see how it goes.

Also, dropped the drivetrain into my e21 late last night (yeah, I have no social life....)

Track/street e21 build
                              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Yoshi likes

Comment

Working...
                                X