The complete repair, rebuild, repaint, and v8 swap of my early model sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're an inspiration Justin.
    Best car, best thread on R3V hands down.
    I'm definitely betting the exhaust leaks are your problem.
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

IT'S ALIVE!!! (again)

I think I may say screw the exhaust and just run open headers :twisted:
      85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
      e30 restoration and V8 swap
      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Pfff yah I would leave that straight pipe son

MY BUILD THREAD
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=235231

INSTAGRAM : @luchcolaneri

Comment

Got the front end back together, and took the car out for a short test drive today. I do not think the neighbors appreciated it. Need to make an exhaust system ASAP.

Comment

drool bro. take your time and do those pipes right. looks like you've got great help nearby too.

started looking for an M60 and trans today.. gonna take a while. you guys have turned the whole community over to bmw V8s
            I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
            TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
            e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
              While the engine is out, I'm going over some little things that I knew needed attention. But, there are some things I didn't even know about that need attention, such as this...

The oil pan must have been resting on the steering rack. Not sure if this was from before or after I installed the urethane mounts. I'm going to put a small spacer on the mounts just to be safe.

I noticed mine is sitting on the rack also. I'm going to make some spacers and shim it up a few MM's. Noticed you got that oil cooler in there too! A buddy of mine said a thin rubber buffer is necessary between the mount and a cooler like those. Even some rubber washers would suffice. He said high frequency chassis vibrations can make those things blow out like ours did.

Comment

Originally posted by dirty30 View Post
                I noticed mine is sitting on the rack also. I'm going to make some spacers and shim it up a few MM's. Noticed you got that oil cooler in there too! A buddy of mine said a thin rubber buffer is necessary between the mount and a cooler like those. Even some rubber washers would suffice. He said high frequency chassis vibrations can make those things blow out like ours did.
                Thanks for the info! I'll rig something up soon. I saw that Earls makes a nice mounting bracket for them too. I tried to bolt it down using the upper mounts and it just bent the hell out of those ears. It's a weird design.

I checked my rack clearance, I've got probably 5mm now, with Garey's mount arms, revshift red urethane mounts, and an extra washer on the mounts. Probably don't need the washer but better safe then sorry. I think the factory rubber mounts just sag too much for this application.

Comment

Do you guys have finished pictures of the removable core? Like painted and such?

Comment

Originally posted by Vtec?lol View Post
                    Do you guys have finished pictures of the removable core? Like painted and such?
                    Just whatever is in this thread. Looks the same as it does in those pics... just painted...

Comment

Hey man didn't have time to search the thread but what are the specs on the rims?

Cheers :)

Great car by the way! Very jelly!!
                      1989 Australian Delivered 325iS Mtech 2.
                      Fully worked M20B31 stroker. 143kw atw/285ntq atw.

Comment

Originally posted by AussieTemplar View Post
                        Hey man didn't have time to search the thread but what are the specs on the rims?

Cheers :)

Great car by the way! Very jelly!!
                        ESM-004, 17x8 et25 front with 215/40/17 and 17x9 et20 rear with 235/40/17.

Comment

Really awesome work, and thread.

I'm only ~60 miles from you if you ever need parts from the Wilmington/Philly area, or need a hand trouble shooting. I'd love to lay eyes on this car.

I'm stumped why your DME(s) never seemed to get into closed loop. Hope it gets worked out. Cheers!

Comment

damn, this car and the thread! nice work man!

Patrick - IG:niicknac
                            RIP 1987 BMW 325is - S50'd ZF 6-speed, flared, bagged

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                              ESM-004, 17x8 et25 front with 215/40/17 and 17x9 et20 rear with 235/40/17.
                              Thanks man, I'm looking at going the same setup but with ESM 002's. Cheers.
                              1989 Australian Delivered 325iS Mtech 2.
                              Fully worked M20B31 stroker. 143kw atw/285ntq atw.

Comment

Brown car high five

Comment

Working...
                                X