316 superlite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

316 superlite

Hello everyone. I've got these two cars that may or may not be of interest to some people.

SOLD: 1) 1984 316 2d, the daily driver. Bought it 2010. It's a bit rare in my part of the world, having no big rust issues (or bad rust repairs) :D. 99,9 % stock condition and that's the way I intend to keep it.. And what's more important it was really cheap !
    I took it off the road for the winter.

More pics

2)1984 316 2d, "the one that will never be finished". I've spent a really long time repairing the shell (rust, bad repairs by previous owners, dents.. you name it) and buying parts for it.
    The objective is to make a light-as-possible trackday car that's usable on the road and street legal around here.
    Don't know what pics to show cause it's not pretty :) so I'll just put a link to the pictures.

Parts bought for the project so far
    -"M10B20" from a 1966 BMW 2000 (steel crank, steel flywheel + ofcourse the block is indestructible)
    -2x 121TI-cylinder heads
    -318i cyl head
    -1mm oversize 10:1 comp pistons, new.
    -228mm clutch parts, lightened and balanced with the flywheel
    -2x L-jetronic- parts
    -421 steel header
    -E30 318is radiator
    -246 cc / min injectors
    -M20B25 throttle body
    -Elring (90mm) head gasket
    -Smaller crank pulley (will slow down the alternator and waterpump by 20%)
    -Coolant-oil heat exchanger (helps raise oil temp on warm-up)
    -Sport Getriebe (dogleg pattern and 1:1 V gear)
    -E30 typ 188 diff
    -new 3,46:1 pinion, ring gear & bearings
    -E36 typ 188 diff cover
    -325i brakes
    -VW Golf mk I brake booster (lighter :) ) changed this to an even smaller &lighter VW mkII 1,3CL booster
    -E28 brake master cyl
    14x6" BBS RZ from an MX-5
    -"New" front and rear subframes

-parts for camber & toe correction to rear axle
    -many hoods, many trunk lids..
    -A LOT of steel parts / body parts
    -E28 sport seats
    -3 cars for spare parts (2x 318i M10 and 318iS)
    -14,5mm rear stabiliser x2

-Lots of other stuff I can't remember right now.
    )

Project targets are
    -drivability
    -drivability
    -over 150 hp
    -less than 1000kg with fluids, half a tank & me onboard.
    EDIT: Oh , what the hell, a couple pics of "the other one":

Going for single headlights to save weight :) . I made that "what do you call it" out of 2 engine stands, one on each end of the car so I can rotate it .

The "kinda small but kinda light" wheels. Had to be machined to fit on the E30 hub.
    Last edited by petrolhead; 02-10-2016, 07:20 AM.

louvers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome!!!!

Comment

The things i would do for those louvers

Comment

Originally posted by Tron View Post
        louvers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome!!!!
        Hahaa.. :D
        I had to google that word to find out what you guys meant. Anyway, seems they're kinda rare thing. Not that it looks especially good.. but it's so very '80s.

Here's something: Try to find my car from this picture :P
        Last edited by petrolhead; 11-01-2011, 10:17 AM.

Comment

its far left!!! love the louvers.

Comment

The number two car

About the project.. Welded / glued / sandblasted / fixed so far..

-parts of the floor (front, rear , left, right.)
            -replaced cross member between the rear spring mounting points. (made it my self)
            -replaced the battery tray (new part self made)
            -corner of the A-pillar near wind screen
            -replaced rear spring mounting points
            -rear towing "thing"
            -deleted a lot of misc. mounting points which are for non existent accessories, saved a couple kg :)
            -rear inner ad outer wheel housings.
            -replaced the rear valance
            -replaced the trunk floor with a straight sheet metal (thinner than stock , saved ~4kg)
            -Stronger mounting points for diff & rear sway bar.
            -A lot of other small stuff welded I can't remember.
            -Checked the body dimensions, pretty OK compared to factory numbers.
            -Deleted ALL sound deadening.

Biggest things yet on the "to do list" are replacing the engine supports (part where front subframe is bolted on).

Comment

A few depressing pics I've taken along the way. Sorry for the quality I'm no photographer

Old crossmember/support vs "new" (well the sheet metal I made from..)

Replacing the engine support

Replacing the spring mounting point , and finding more rust underneath once I got it out

New diff support and stronger mounting points for the anti roll bar. Plus the new trunk floor (leaves more room for a diffusor :D )

Cut out the rusted side skirt and found out (surprise!!!) there was more rust underneath. ->More cutting. I fixed the sidemember & painted it (white stuff , epoxy paint)

Inner wheel housing replaced, rear left.

Inner wheel housing , rear right. Old vs new

Old rear valance vs. new one. Don't mind the radio blasting away in the background.
              And BTW, I probably got most of the parts names & technical terms wrong, hopefully the pics speak for them selves. My English is what it is .
              Last edited by petrolhead; 11-05-2011, 05:13 AM.

Comment

the 2 engine stands to rotate the car would be a "rotisserie".

Comment

Couple more of the project...

Modding L-jet manifold to accept larger throttle body from M20B25 (48 vs. 60mm)

Old 'n used exhaust manifold , now almost rust free :)

Modified a M10B18L oilfilter head to accept a heat exchanger (from a VW..)

Comment

Originally posted by Jafxod View Post
                    The things i would do for those louvers
                    Same, now that is #sapphire.
                    Nunzio
                    Creative Director & Professor
                    Twitter

2010 Vespa GTS300 | 2000 323iT Euro | 1991 RRC Hunter | 1987 325is (guten build) | 1983 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas

Comment

Originally posted by nespo_e30is View Post
                      Same, now that is #sapphire.
                      Well , they're up for sale. Whoever pays 1650€ gets them with the rest of the car. :D

Comment

Bit of progress here..

Right side "engine carrier" replaced. Welded + glued on , under 2 layers of epoxy paint and body sealant (or what do you call that stuff that goes in the seams?)

It'll look neater once everything's painted the same color :)

Shifter knob with the right pattern

Bought a smaller (98mm) crank pulley. M10 original pulleys (122mm) on the sides for comparison. Well , officially the 1966 2,0 liter wasn't called M10B20 but M05.. anyways

It's 130grams lighter than stock M10B18 pulley and 300g lighter than that of an old M10.
                        Last edited by petrolhead; 12-19-2011, 08:55 AM.

Comment

2 316s? did you find them walking to the bakery with your dad one day? :)

jokes aside, wow. nice job man. looks like you're putting in a lot of work. keep it up.
                          AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                            2 316s? did you find them walking to the bakery with your dad one day? :)

jokes aside, wow. nice job man. looks like you're putting in a lot of work. keep it up.
                            Well I do have two other E30s , for spares. 1984 318i & 1985 318i..
                            My daily driver is none of these but an E46 touring. Waiting for summer to take that black one on the road..
                            Last edited by petrolhead; 12-19-2011, 10:07 AM.

Comment

You're brave taking on all that rust. Brave in a good way though, keep it up man :up:

Comment

Working...
                              X