Project Daily Driver Eta: Slow and Meticulous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Daily Driver Eta: Slow and Meticulous

I have had this car for quite some time now but neglected to put up a thread about it because I had always thought we would sell it. Well, we have put so much money into it now that it wouldn't make sense to sell it. As a result I am pushing her into daily duty to give my turbo car a rest and to allow me to do some things to it that would require it to be down for a month or so.

This thread is a timeline for my own records and something that might help someone looking to literally rescue one of these cars from the crusher. This car had been neglected severely. Emphasis on the severely.

We bought this car for $800 in the middle of January 2010. We overpaid... it had issues. Everything from a popped freeze plug to a broken head bolt. So we've had it for almost 2 years now and it has come a long way.

January 21, 2010 (The day after we bought the car)

As with any e30 purchase... first step is a thorough cleaning/degreasing to see what you are actually working with. My wife does interiors like no other on the planet... I'm glad she enjoys it, because I hate cleaning interiors.

MONEY!!! Sweet.

After cleaning shots.

We also swapped out parts of the interior from my project car... seats and carpet included.

January 23-26, 2010

Repainted the plastic diving board bumper surrounds and some other trim pieces. Also tackled the rust hole behind the right tail light. Just patched it with some fiberglass and spraypaint, but it has held up for 2 years and still looks like it did when I finished it. The car is getting resprayed early next year though so this will be re-fixed with new metal at that time.

February 1-12, 2010

This is where the ol' girl really got her new lease on life. The cooling system was so full of shit from sitting open to the elements for so long it took me about 5 hours to clean out as much of it as possible. I couldn't clean it all of course... but I cleaned and cleaned until I could run water through it and have the water still come out nice and clean from the block drain and radiator drain.

That's not good!!!

New parts!

Timing belt kit, water pump, cam seal, crank seal, intermediate seal, gaskets, etc.

While I was doing all of the above I rehab'd the appearance of the intake manifold and the valve cover. Couldn't just put them back on in the gross condition they came off in.

February 12, 2010

Here she is running again after all the work mentioned above. She is still LOUD as hell. I think it needs a head rebuild. Hell I know it has something like 300,000+ miles on it so I am not too surprised.

"A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
    -----------------------------------------
    91 318is Turbo Sold
    87 325 Daily driver Sold
    06 4.8is X5
    06 Mtec X3
    05 4.4i X5 Sold
    92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
    90 325i Sold
    97 328is Sold
    01 323ci Sold
    92 325i Sold
    83 528e Totaled
    98 328i Sold
    93 325i Sold

[B][B]February 25, 2010

Suspension time. The old one was shot and I wanted it a tad lower so we went with some Tokico's. I know most people here swear they suck, but ours have worked out great on here for almost 2 years under normal driving. For the price you pay for springs and shocks... that's not too shabby. I recently had a look at them and they still look great as well. Hopefully they last another 2 years.

The old mismatched blown pieces of garbage.

The new, pretty stuff. I also did control arms, m3 bushings, tie rod ends, rotors, pads, and a few other things at this point.

The new stance above. She settled a tiny bit but is still up there. This is what we were going for. My turbo car is lower and we wanted this thing to clear any speed bumps or steep driveways without worry.

March 2010

This month saw the addition of a Kenwood receiver, Luke box, RE Audio 12, Sony amp, and keyless entry system.

The wife then drove the car daily to work and back. Bless her for doing it too without AC in the south Texas summer! Passenger side window motor was non-op too. :( We did get it tinted though... 25% all the way around.

December 2010

Here is what the car looked like at the end of the year. Not much else had been done to it with the exception of minor aesthetic things.

November 2011

Haven't done anything really to the car until this month. We've just been driving her. Poor thing has been the family's bitch. We've lent it to friends and family. Come in real handy.

This month I installed a replacement window motor on the pass. side. Refinished all the bottle caps (why? because I don't want to buy wheels for it yet). They came out really nicely. I topped it off by buying new wheel emblems.

For anyone who wants to know... I used Duplicolor's wheel paint and clear coat. It works well and if done right lasts a pretty good amount of time. I did a set of weaves that lasted a year before selling them and they still looked good.

That's where the car is at currently. I have a ton of future plans for it including a cheap (relatively) paint job, fogs, floor mats, 13 button OBC, cruise retrofit, etc. I will keep this updated.
    "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
    91 318is Turbo Sold
    87 325 Daily driver Sold
    06 4.8is X5
    06 Mtec X3
    05 4.4i X5 Sold
    90 325i Sold
    97 328is Sold
    01 323ci Sold
    92 325i Sold
    83 528e Totaled
    98 328i Sold
    93 325i Sold

Comment

How much wheel paint did you need? You're putting this car to perfect use for a stock e30.
      The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
      Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
      2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
      2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Meticulous is right. Way to keep another e30 alive!

Comment

I love builds... nice ETA!
          GRIPPY'S*GARAGE

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
            How much wheel paint did you need? You're putting this car to perfect use for a stock e30.
            I used 2 cans of color and 1 can of clear. A little bit goes along way. I did 3 color coats and 1 clear coat. First color coat is lightish and then do medium coats. Clear coat was also a medium coat. Comes out yellowish/cloudy when it hits the wheel but dries clear.

Originally posted by NotColtonOrr View Post
            Meticulous is right. Way to keep another e30 alive!
            I'll drink to that! :drink:

Originally posted by grippymonkey View Post
            I love builds... nice ETA!
            Thanks, she is coming along slowly but surely. I really enjoy driving this car but I have no idea why. It's slow and early bumpered, but I still love it. Weird.

BTW... anyone have any suggestions for the rear antenna unit? Ours works but won't retract all the way. With my OCD it bothers the hell out of me.
            91 318is Turbo Sold
            87 325 Daily driver Sold
            06 4.8is X5
            06 Mtec X3
            05 4.4i X5 Sold
            90 325i Sold
            97 328is Sold
            01 323ci Sold
            92 325i Sold
            83 528e Totaled
            98 328i Sold
            93 325i Sold

Comment

wow, nice work dude. quite a turnaround.
              8380 Laboratories
              M3 Champs Poster

Comment

Holy crap! I never remembered her being that bad. She's in awesome "daily duty" condition. She has pulled many out of a bind.(Including me)

Great work Joe.
                ------------------------------------------------------
                1982 528e - Sold
                1987 325e - Totalled
                1990 325is - Sold
                1997 540i6 - Sold
                1991 325ic - Sold
                2013 335i - Sold
                2005 X5 - Daily
                1991 318is - *work in progress*

Comment

I like your attention to detail
                  95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
                  Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE
                  LIKE my Facebook Page! CLICK HERE

Comment

lot of man crush action going on right now, great work, done well and done right!. Keep it up.
                    sigpic
                    New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
                    %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Major props man, I saw that first pic and was sure it couldn't possibly be saved or even come out looking presentable.
                      sigpic

Comment

Holy fuck

Comment

What a great transformation! Subscribed.

Project log -- DIRTY 30

2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

Comment

Originally posted by LedJetta View Post
                            wow, nice work dude. quite a turnaround.
                            Originally posted by kalib0y View Post
                            I like your attention to detail
                            Originally posted by pureaudio View Post
                            Major props man, I saw that first pic and was sure it couldn't possibly be saved or even come out looking presentable.
                            Originally posted by Cronopoulos View Post
                            What a great transformation! Subscribed.
                            Thank you gentleman... I'm just the type of person who wants everything to work as good or better than factory when I am in a car. For better or worse really, just means I spend a lot of time in the garage. I am glad I have a really understanding and helpful wife.

Originally posted by ZM Blue Devil View Post
                            lot of man crush action going on right now, great work, done well and done right!. Keep it up.
                            ;) Little bromance never hurt anyone. Thanks for the compliment. I know i am on the right track hearing from you in a thread.

Originally posted by Mouse View Post
                            Holy crap! I never remembered her being that bad. She's in awesome "daily duty" condition. She has pulled many out of a bind.(Including me)

Great work Joe.
                            You helped all day with it that first day... guess you blocked it from your memory banks. She's coming along. One day and one mod/repair at a time. I can't wait for the paint job honestly.
                            91 318is Turbo Sold
                            87 325 Daily driver Sold
                            06 4.8is X5
                            06 Mtec X3
                            05 4.4i X5 Sold
                            90 325i Sold
                            97 328is Sold
                            01 323ci Sold
                            92 325i Sold
                            83 528e Totaled
                            98 328i Sold
                            93 325i Sold

Comment

full approval from this boat !
                              -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Working...
                              X