Dirty Baja E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dirty Baja E30

Hello everyone. You may remember seeing this video: http://vimeo.com/20817334

I bought that car from him a little while ago. I haven't had much time to do anything with it until recently. I'm still learning about this car, but everything you see here is how it came when I bought it.

Some info:

e36 transmission. 4.10 locked diff. e46 arms. Soon to be rear e39 shocks. Not sure what the front shocks are. Custom exhaust used to go out the sides, but he said it was getting caught on the ground so switched to regular. Masson strut bar up front. I added a cat so it would pass smog (it did! street legal-ish!), crazy bright dust lights up front. There's some kind of aftermarket fuel line system as well. Momo steering wheel.

I did the crappy paint job of the face myself

Heres a bunch of photos to start off:

It was a slicktop. Now it's more of a rough-top:

There's a few giant holes in the trunk, I'm thinking a reinforcement of some kind might be useful back here:

And this definitely needs to be tied down better, haha:

Tire size:

Interior:

In case you're wondering, that's a floor jack handle that is now the shiftknob...bar... thing. Also there is indeed a radio/cd player inside the glove compartment.

Suspension uses e46 control arms. Much beefier than stock. Also notice the custom tie rods:

Gonna need to put in some limit straps to keep the suspension from pushing out too far. It seems like he started the process of doing so. Not really sure where I should weld the top mounts for the limit straps:

Exhaust, and cat:

The skid bars are welded directly onto the frame:

Some custom wiring going on. Notice the switch on the inside, it's to turn on the brightest fuckin' lights I've ever seen.

This shock was completely destroyed, so I'm gonna be putting in some much beefier e39 Bilstein HD's in the rear:

Not sure what the next mod is.... maybe a cage and some extra reinforcements in the rear.

By the way it drives really well on the road, minus the locked diff which causes some serious hopping and squealing while turning . You might think the m42 is under-powered, but with the e36 transmission and 4.10 diff, it feels twice as torquey as my other stock 318i. Top speed is low, but I won't be driving this thing over 55mph!
    sigpic

Looks rough but you seem to know your stuff :up:

Glad this turned up on r3v!!
    Bronzit 4-door Swap Drifting somewhere
    Cammed B25 Swap Daily Driver
    Updated 10/1

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
    Maybe 300 CANADIAN HP, thats like 225 US HP.

Comment

are there front turn signals?

Comment

I love this car. I will worship you

Comment

Originally posted by CW325 View Post
          are there front turn signals?
          There aren't ANY turn signals... I have been forced to use the old hand signal method when i drive it on the street :rofl:

Maybe I'll get some 20 dollar flashing led's to tape to the car for those rare times its on the street
          sigpic

Comment

I've been seeing things about this car for a while, and much of it is inspiration for my (admittedly way less hardcore) e30 rallycross build. Keep it up!
            Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
            Track/street e21 build
            visit Condor Speed Shop
            visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

and seriously.....solid battery tiedown PRONTO! That bungee holding a battery scares the crap out of me from here....
              Track/street e21 build
              visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
                and seriously.....solid battery tiedown PRONTO! That bungee holding a battery scares the crap out of me from here....
                That's number one on the list. Not really sure how I'm gonna do it... maybe something like this (but with some cloth to cover the metal!)http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/a...y_Tie_Down.jpg
                sigpic

Comment

Who and how much? :D
                  sigpic

Comment

This thing is so bad ass!

Comment

easiest way to go for a tiedown is go to home depot, buy some threaded rod and a piece of angle iron (or angle aluminum). position the battery, drill two holes in the floor, run the rod through. Put a nut on the lower end and one on the inside (essentially sandwiching the floor) with washers. put battery between them, put angle iron across top of battery, drill 2 holes in it, and put nuts (I like wingnuts) and washers on top. Instant hold-down

like so

(e30 engine bay mount)

(my new trunk mount in the stock 325 location)
                      Track/street e21 build
                      visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

alternately, you can do it with a box as well (this is my trunk-mount in my wrx)

Track/street e21 build
                        visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Originally posted by epiphy View Post
                          Who and how much? :D
                          Dudes a welding genius, I can testify haha
                          Bronzit 4-door Swap Drifting somewhere
                          Cammed B25 Swap Daily Driver
                          Updated 10/1

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
                          Maybe 300 CANADIAN HP, thats like 225 US HP.

Comment

looks fun. I love the function>form on this project!
                            95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
                            Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE
                            LIKE my Facebook Page! CLICK HERE

Comment

Working...
                            X