No announcement yet.

Dirty Baja E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you going to do for a fuel tank?

Comment

Originally posted by 10Toes View Post
      What are you going to do for a fuel tank?
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Probably going to get a small fuel cell to sit in the trunk somewhere.

The exhaust is going to be routed to the side where the fuel tank used to be, so can't use the old one
      sigpic

Comment

Found out about these today... they excite me.

sigpic

Comment

I sat in this car at Oceanside Motorsports before you bought it. The car was just so in your face awesome I loved it! Im surprised you haven't mentioned the custom fuzzy dash it pairs well with the ridiculous shifer handle!

Im stoked to see you taking this car to the next level and really re-engineering the car to be rock solid reliable for its intended purpose, Love the WWII style shark graphic not the fender. Im down in mission beach we totally need to swap rides in each others cars sometime. PM me.

If I was moving back to Hawaii anytime soon I would have to buy this from you and take it with me. All the locals care about around there is trucks and this is the best of both worlds.
          Last edited by Wild Ride; 03-02-2013, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Ride View Post
            Im down in mission beach we totally need to swap rides in each others cars sometime
            Sure why not, in in UTC so real close. The real question will be whether I can get it back on the road within the next 50 years :)
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by epiphy View Post
              Sure why not, in in UTC so real close. The real question will be whether I can get it back on the road within the next 50 years :)
              Haha take your time don't cut any corners

Comment

just read the entire thread so far...this build is amazing to say the least. glad to see it's in san diego so i have a chance of oggling at it sometime when i'm in the area, lol.
                NRG Quick Release/MOMO Hubs|NRG Limited Edition Deep Dish Wheels|NRG Wood Wheels|Nardi|
                9five Eyewear|Day of the Dead Tees|
                WORK Wheels|Lug Nuts|
                STÄTUS|
                Got Juice?|

Comment

Does anyone know of an easy way to get rid of this crap surrounding the shock tower? It's driving me up the wall

sigpic

Comment

chisel...pneumatic chisel...
                    NRG Quick Release/MOMO Hubs|NRG Limited Edition Deep Dish Wheels|NRG Wood Wheels|Nardi|
                    9five Eyewear|Day of the Dead Tees|
                    WORK Wheels|Lug Nuts|
                    STÄTUS|
                    Got Juice?|

Comment

I will do this one day! excellent work!
                      My previous build (currently E30-less)
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by epiphy View Post
                        Does anyone know of an easy way to get rid of this crap surrounding the shock tower? It's driving me up the wall

Grinder or drill with a wire wheel works well, you'd have to repaint over it though obviously. If you remove it all you should probably still seal the seams again and just do a nicer job

Comment

Originally posted by cormier View Post
                          Grinder or drill with a wire wheel works well, you'd have to repaint over it though obviously. If you remove it all you should probably still seal the seams again and just do a nicer job
                          We are fitting up the reinforced shock towers today. That's why we had to get rid of that rubbery nonsense, so we could properly fit it up before welding.
                          sigpic

Comment

I use a chisel and hammer to get the bulk off and wire wheel to help clean it. For the bits trapped between the layers a mapp gas torch and pick work well. It is a major PIA but worth the extra time. If any sealer is left over it will "explode" when it gets into the weld pool leaving holes and shity looking welds. Careful of gas vapor return tube just under the right shock tower.

JH
                            HIK Fab

Comment

Originally posted by JGee View Post
                              I use a chisel and hammer to get the bulk off and wire wheel to help clean it. For the bits trapped between the layers a mapp gas torch and pick work well. It is a major PIA but worth the extra time. If any sealer is left over it will "explode" when it gets into the weld pool leaving holes and shity looking welds. Careful of gas vapor return tube just under the right shock tower.

JH
                              Thanks a lot man. Yes, it really has taken me this long to get to it!

By the way everyone, that guy made the roll bar hoop, shock towers and connecting tubes for me. Did a real good job for a great price.

HIK fabrication
                              sigpic

Comment

I think I just about finished up the subframe and trailing arms. Keep in mind these design decisions were based entirely on what scrap I had laying around

The only thing that is left to do is to weld a bar on the back of the trailing arm, so that the rear shock bolt is supported from both sides of the shock. I may tap the 12mm hole to 5/8" because the shocks I'm going to use are designed for standard. Depends on what we can fit back there I guess.

Looks like a ekranoplan

I figure if I tie in the diff bolts, the center area of the subframe will be less prone to flexing. I added some extra metal between both sides anyway

Not the prettiest welds, but they'll do

I figured while I'm at it, add some metal to the cups. Again, pretty horrible welds...

These welds aren't so bad

And now all together (minus the bar that replaces the bolts)...

Here's the 12mm chromoly bar which inserts into where the bolts used to go

I bought these 12mm shaft collars at ace hardware

This is why I left that side open on the subframe, so I could fit this shaft collar over the end, to keep it from moving around while driving
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X