Seeking Sage Wisdom for 325e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking Sage Wisdom for 325e

So, I have haters who will invariably find me and tell me I'm stupid... but I'm ok with that.

I seek the wisdom of the collective community on what to undertake with my e30.

A little background for those who care (history major in school, can't get away from it!)

1984 325e with a shade over 113500 miles. It's my DD.

Polaris Metallic over Cherry (?) Red Interior. Interior is 8/10, honestly. The drivers' left side sport seat bolster is showing wear, but I've seen 5 year old cars with worse. Options include a BBS front air dam (that I'm not sure if I love), the little rubber spoiler on the back (Mother's Back-to-Black has helped me keep that from cracking.). It's got auto sunroof, windows, yadda yadda and a manual 'box, thank god.

I picked it up for $6k north of Atlanta, and it came with a Bentley and ALL the service records.

First owner had it for right around a year, sold it in late 84, second owner had it from 84 to 2005, during which time it was driven off and on by both husband and wife.

Third owner traded TWO 2002s for two e30s, a late 80s 325is (zinno or brilliant, can't remember), and this car, the Eta. He performed maintenance religiously. Ha, I can tell what he has and hasn't worked on by the smudges in the Bentley Manual.

So I looked for an unmolested, (relatively) low mileage e30 for awhile. While living in Germany I'd had a e34 euro spec 525 (RIP, that's another story), and an e39 528i M sport with Manual. Loved that car. I decided on e30 because I knew I wanted a 3 series coupe, knew I didn't want to incur another car payment, and hell, it's an e30, it's goddam legend. After a few shady dealings on CL (never again, I swear) I found this guy in GA on CCA website, went up, test drove, he went over the good, the bad (there's really no ugly) with me. He was so incredibly honest about every issue he'd had with the car, I knew I'd found a good one. Anywho, a 3 hour trip back home and I was beyond smitten.

To start maintenance, I went for full fluidwechseln, brakes, tranny, diff, oil, coolant, all red-line or OEM stuff, several bottles of fuel injector cleaner from BMW Group (aka Chevron), and plugs.

Just got it out of the shop from getting timing belt, tensioner, radiator fan, hoses, water pump, thermostat (standard 180 degree, PO had low-temp, and if anyone's still reading, do you think the standard is ok in a car this old? or should I switch back to low-temp?)

My number 1 fear in life is losing this car to an unforeseen malfunction, which is why I'm willing to shell out cash for maintenance done right, if I'm not capable of it.

So anyway, I feel that i'm now at a point where I can "start" doing things to the car.

Issues- check panel lights are all bogus. The washer fluid light's been on for days, the level's fine. The "brake lights' warning is on. they work just fine. Oil, coolant do the same, everything seems to be just fine. I kinda want to rip that thing out (?), but in a non-destructive way. Maybe just bypass the sensors on the stuff I can manually look at and verify there's no issue. Any thoughts?

The tranny is a little sloppy, but not emergency bad.

The steering is a little vague at times, and the brake pedal is not the most confidence-inspiring pedal I've met, but it works (hit lockup with my wife in the car one day, asshole cut me off).

Otherwise, the car's a dream.

PO put Alpine headunit in.
    I put in a UUC Big Boy clutch stop
    I bought rubber all-weather floor mats. (need to get a stock set for when I'm wearin my dancin' shoes, and not my shitkickers)
    Beyond that, this car is bone stock.

As for upgrades:
    i'm familiar with the "e" to "i" conversion. no interest in doing it, I like the Eta.
    I'm thinking about a chip?
    I'm thinking springs, just springs, for now.
    I'm thinking UUC Evo 3 SSK (or one of the Z3 shifters)
    I'm thinking new brake pads and SSL, on top of a caliper rebuild.
    I'm thinking a bumper tuck, and maybe M-tech II all the way around, with a respray.

My question is- where do I start? I guess, I want to start small-ish. 3-500 bucks. And I would like to do some of it myself, but I'm at about a level 2 proficiency. I'm honest about my capabilities, (or lack thereof) I want to learn it (I spend hours on the project forum, jealous of all the talent in this community), but there's noone in this town to look over my shoulder, so the unfortunate thing is I end up having to shell out cash for things I know I could do under the right supervision.

So let's say you have a bone stock e30 325e, 113k miles, everything runs, works, and it's a damn decent ride... it's just not... R3Vlimited standard yet.

What's your first move?

So I got motivated right around sunrise this morning and took my car on a photo tour (cellphone camera, no apologies).

And this was the last thing I did before I came back. Haters gon hate on my ghetto launch control, but it gives you an idea what the eta sounds like no cat. Ansa cat-back exhaust, straight pipe mid.

Last edited by DaButt; 02-26-2012, 09:18 AM.
    /______\_o_/______\
    l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
    \ #___======___# /
    |__/-------------\__|

"Took me an hour to do this..."

took me like three seconds to copy/paste it- FOR SCIENCE!!

Barney Fucking Rubble

bumper tuck(s)
    maintanence
    2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
    (Daily Driver)
    Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
    KW V2 Coilovers
    VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

You paid $6000 for an e? And an '84? I do like the color combination, but unless that car was in showroom condition you overpaid. That being said, enjoy it.

Max

Comment

Yea, now that I've seen a lot of e's and their prices I feel a little bit slighted, but it didn't break the bank and was happy that it seemed to be a reliable DD.

interior pics up!

They're not great but it's cellphone camera snapped during lunch.
        Last edited by DaButt; 02-23-2012, 11:45 AM.
        /______\_o_/______\
        l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
        \ #___======___# /
        |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

Please don't tuck the bumpers, looks so tacky.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            Ha! Wow, I think that's the first time i've read that on this forum! (relative, I'm a noob)

But yeah, I don't really like the process of tucking/almost dying by inhaling poison, so I was thinking I wouldn't fuck with the bumpers until I a spring for a complete M-Tech kit and a paint job... which is a pretty large sum.
            /______\_o_/______\
            l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
            \ #___======___# /
            |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

Anyone have constructive ideas bump?
              /______\_o_/______\
              l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
              \ #___======___# /
              |__/-------------\__|

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

I think you can start improving small stuff besides of maintanence(leather e-brake boot/lever, gear knob, steering wheel, repaint/repair any plastic trims that are faded and cracked, repaint trims, moldings with trim paint, euro grilles/smileys, etc).
                Then if budget is allowed I would change rim as well.
                Also that seats looks very nice but I think there's room for improvement. I've seen people got their seats restored at the shop (not reupholster). I'm not entirely sure which technique that they use but they can remove small creases/cracks and virtually make them looking new.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                  I'm with this guy. And while we're on the topic of sage advice, I'd suggest trying out an HPDE (ask me how I know) or two to keep your e30 lovin' on the street in check. I hear that chips will really wake up the etas without sacrificing MPG (+24tq/+28hp or something like that).

As for the thermostat, I can see no reason to use a low temp thermostat if the car is functioning properly. if it's not, fix it! If you're worried about old hoses, blunt can hook you up.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
                  Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

start with real floormats, those are stupid.
                    Next, mudflaps.

then, this:

Originally posted by jasonbk View Post
                    I think you can start improving small stuff besides of maintanence(leather e-brake boot/lever, gear knob, steering wheel, repaint/repair any plastic trims that are faded and cracked, repaint trims, moldings with trim paint, euro grilles/smileys, etc).
                    Then if budget is allowed I would change rim as well.
                    Also that seats looks very nice but I think there's room for improvement. I've seen people got their seats restored at the shop (not reupholster). I'm not entirely sure which technique that they use but they can remove small creases/cracks and virtually make them looking new.
                    then it won't just be r3v approved, and if you find some way to fit an iS lip to the early valence it'll be a halo car for all of r3v to fap over.

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

Originally posted by u3b3rg33k View Post
                      I'm with this guy. And while we're on the topic of sage advice, I'd suggest trying out an HPDE (ask me how I know) or two to keep your e30 lovin' on the street in check. I hear that chips will really wake up the etas without sacrificing MPG (+24tq/+28hp or something like that).
                      yes, but more importantly it lets you use the full tach instead of hitting fuel cut so low

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

1).
                        Bilstein sport struts/shocks and H&R race springs with drop hats. (perfect daily drop/ride) my mother loves hers.

2).
                        If you're against tucking the bumpers I would suggest HONESTLY getting a set of euro bumpers. They make the ETAs look so classy!

If not euro get a front spoiler, really completes the front end. Also euro grills make them look meaner!

3).
                        BBS classic wheels, something correct to the era. Like some BBS RZ(15x7)

4).
                        I know you said you did not want to do the e to i conversion. Don't know if you feel you cannot get it done or something. But it IS worth it, breaths new life into a suffocating ETA. So search a bit and see if you feel you're at a spot to make it happen. Not hard really...maybe a 6 out of a 10? Just unbolting and hooking up the harness =)

The UUC evo is amazing, call up Rob and get one! Installing one this week on my buddies E46 M3

And remember this is YOUR CAR, that YOU paid 6k for. Don't do something someone else says or makes fun of something that you like. If you love those floor mats keep them! I think BMW mats are nice but to be honest they don't keep the floor dry like a nice set of rubber mats. Alot of r3v people have this "idea" of the perfect e30. FUCK THEM! I am all go and fuck show ;) creature comforts are for bitches xD

So in the end it should make YOU smile, forums get it backwards and people listen to 17yo kids with ideas. There is nothing wrong with spending 6k on a clean ass eta! I wish you the very best and hope you enjoy your stay @r3v.
                        Last edited by F34R; 02-23-2012, 06:41 PM.
                        ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                        ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                        ~ '87 535
                        ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                        ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

I would advise against a chip without replacing the valve springs. Tore down an eta that had a chip and 3.73lsd for some time, every piston made valve contact.

Oh, and what's wrong with big bumpers? Just shine them up or go Euro, tucked bumpers always have the weird gap on the side trim, they LOOK tucked.

Get an 86-87 is/es air dam, makes the bumpers look a lot better, rear valance REALLY cleans it up (sorry need to take post-paint pics).

Increase your gear ratio, it will wake the car up, but don't go as numerically high as a 3.73.

The head swap isn't hard, but will increase the power dramatically for short money without sacrificing economy. My car went from 95whp to 134whp (Dynojet).
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:

Comment

Tucking bumpers doesnt leave a huge gap if you do it right. I would personally tuck them and get a stock early model valance. IMO that bbs valance look hideous.

Comment

Originally posted by CW325 View Post
                              Tucking bumpers doesnt leave a huge gap if you do it right. I would personally tuck them and get a stock early model valance. IMO that bbs valance look hideous.
                              No sir, don't like it, sorry.

If you want short bumpers, put short bumpers on, or use the 'vert bumper shocks that don't quite tuck them that much, no gap with them.
                              john@m20guru.com
                              Links:

Comment

Working...
                              X