Diamantschwarz 318is resto/rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diamantschwarz 318is resto/rebuild

Hey guys, after poking around these E30 sites for a while I finally managed to pick one up for myself. It's a 1990 318is with what was a suspected blown head gasket - it turns out it is much worse than that as you will see in the pictures later on. Other than that it is in reasonable condition, straight body, reasonable paint, I'm still yet to find any rust which is nice.

My plans are just to get it working and reliable in the near future and slowly build it up into a fast street/occasional track car. On to the pics!

The M badge has already been removed. Seriously every second BMW around here has one on it!

It came with a boot full of spare parts.

I started pulling out the interior to give it a good clean as it is a bit grubby, I hired a wet vac to help out.

I have no idea what these screws are for, they do absolutely nothing!

I got the interior all out, carpet was removed to clean it easier. No rust anywhere which is a nice change to all the floor pans that I see you Americans have!

I had a little helper to clean the seats.

Fixed some of the cracks with some plastic backings until I can get around to finding some new parts.

Here is my tiny work space, it's not much but with the car in the driveway there is enough space in the garage to work on stuff. I just can't work on the car when it rains!

I started pulling the engine apart to check how bad it is, it looks like I am going to have to place a big order from pelican parts to replace all the perished items.

Drained the coolant to find this milkshake shit. Not a promising start...

With the head off I was confronted with this! Some of the insides have surface rust on them. The car had been sitting for six months after blowing the head gasket and I guess the whole engine was full of coolant and water. 5 minutes of discussions later and it was decided to pull the engine and do a proper rebuild - not really what I was hoping to do but at least I will end up with a fresh engine!

Bought an engine stand so that I can work on it.

So that is where I am up to so far, this build will probably take a while as I slowly get the money together to fix the engine. But I will get there in the end!
    Last edited by MkII; 04-14-2013, 05:17 AM. Reason: Change title

Why are m42s always abused?

If you need any parts let me know. I have almost everything needed to do an m42 swap. Full motor, tranny, harness, ecu, etc.

Comment

Thats some serious oxidisation on the cams and chain, i guess a rebuild was your only option.
      sigpic
      Delphin '87 325i Vert

Comment

of course your car comes w/ all euro shit you bastard

Comment

What euro stuff have I got that you didn't get in the states? I'm just a bit devo that I don't have the sports seats. Oh well I got it pretty cheap and I'm sure I will find them at some stage.

Comment

umm.. I see euro grille/smileys/headlamp adjuster/euro bumper trims.
            sigpic

Comment

It's taken me a little while to get anything done with this, but things will start to speed up from now on. It would be nice to get the car on the road soon as my girlfriend and I are sharing one at the moment.

I almost bought an M50B25 to put into it instead of rebuilding the M42 but that fell through so I am going to continue with the M42, however may consider a 6 cylinder build next year.

I took it around to my mates place to work on it as he has a much better work space and heaps of tools. I put it outside to clean it a bit before we disassembled it as it was covered in shit.

After an evenings work we managed to get it completely disassembled and ready to be cleaned up - the insides actually aren't too bad which is a nice relief. It sure does take up a lot of space on the bench though!

Once you remove all the bits the block is actually really small.

I will have some more updates once all the new parts arrive - hopefully they wont take too long to get here.

Comment

ha - yeah, it's weird how small the block looks..

props mate.
                -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Pics of 3.0!!

Looks like a good project mate!
                  Tim.

Comment

Diddo
                    NASA
                    BMWCCA member
                    PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                    1997 M3 sedan
                    2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

Haha yeah that is my mates e9 3.0cs that he is very slowly working on, it's in fantastic original condition though. I'll see if I can get some pics up later.

Comment

Look what arrived in the mail yesterday! The first batch of parts.

I have been cleaning up all of the engine components, however it is taking a bit longer than I had hoped due to work and I have started uni again.. I'll get some pics of the progress later in the week.

Here are a couple of pics of the e9 as requested

Comment

Originally posted by MkII
                          pics of the e9 as requested
                          sweet jesus !!
                          -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Hey bud, nice car! My first car was a 318is and wish i didnt part it out :( ever since then i want to buy one with a blown engine and stroke a m42 to 2.1l. Cars like this are so hard to find in australia. Keep up the great work!

Glenn

Track car

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=2214204

Street car

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=307890

Comment

Diamantschwarz 318is Resto/Rebuild

Here is a before and after picture of the pistons, the clean one was actually the worst one - it was in the cylinder where the head gasket blew through, it took a lot of elbow grease but I managed to get it looking pretty good. We have started putting the bottom end of the engine together too but there isn't too much to show there yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X