the Aluminum Monster. a 318 with a special 24v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by staysideways View Post
    Hydrocarbons are gases such as oil,gasoline and other liquid substances that go into an engine.

From experience anytime I have seen high levels of hydrocarbons it been the cats. If the cat can't do its job of capturing the hydrocarbons and converting them to h20 in this case vapor that comes out the exhaust the gases will glow right through it.

My car had the same problem with hydrocarbons but it was in the 1000s. So I took my friends e30 to the smog shop and I smoged "my car".

My money is on the cats try talking to someone you know and borrow their cats for a day with some beers and labor on your end. Best of luck Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Also leftover hydrocarbons can be from the engine running too rich for the cats to manage no matter their condition.

Check Us out on Facebook
    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
    Full Product Line Tuning
    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
      Also leftover hydrocarbons can be from the engine running too rich for the cats to manage no matter their condition.

+1 didn't mention that because it had been mentioned by Simon

Comment

Are yours one complete piece? Or you have flanges welded before and after?
        Bolted to the manifolds, OEM style. Removing them also requires lowering the subframe to maneuver them out. On the other end they are welded to the M20B25 dual outlet exhaust pipes. I wouldve preferred a bolt-on, OEM style also, but it was a lot more work and I needed it done ASAP

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
        Im hoping the tune will help with this. TRM has been very helpful and they sent a new chip. Hopefully I will have that this week, though my bachelor party is this weekend and I wont be doing anything until the following weekend which should include a "pre-test" to see how the new chip has changed the emissions, if anything
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Any updates?
            Not much, occasional canyon driving. Still havent installed the other TRM chip yet. I am installing the StopTech Street Performance pads all the way around tomorrow. Im getting married in like 2 weeks so I havent had much free time to deal with the BAR.

I'll probably get another round with the referee in mid July
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              Not much, occasional canyon driving. Still havent installed the other TRM chip yet. I am installing the StopTech Street Performance pads all the way around tomorrow. Im getting married in like 2 weeks so I havent had much free time to deal with the BAR.

I'll probably get another round with the referee in mid July

Congrats on getting married!!!
              That's more important than bar but let us know how the stoppers go. (Haha unintended pun) it time for brakes again -__-

Comment

Congrats on getting married!!!
                That's more important than bar but let us know how the stoppers go. (Haha unintended pun) it time for brakes again -__-
                Thanks, she likes that I play with cars even though she doesnt understand anything that I do ... which can be a good thing at times.

Went out and changed the front brake pads today with the StopTech Street Performance pads. Pretty straight forward, no surprises except that I havent done a brake job in a few years so I was a little rusty on some details. Didnt know if I had ATE or Girling calipers so I snapped a pic of the ATE that mine has. Checked in with a few friends who advised me on how to properly bed the pads in. I didnt really push it but it feels like an overall improvement. I wont know for sure until I got hit the canyons...

ATE calipers

ate_calipers by 2mAn

and the new hardware next to the old hardware
                new_brake_pads by 2mAn
                Last edited by 2mAn; 07-22-2017, 10:04 AM. Reason: fuck photobucket
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Thanks, she likes that I play with cars even though she doesnt understand anything that I do ... which can be a good thing at times.

Went out and changed the front brake pads today with the StopTech Street Performance pads. Pretty straight forward, no surprises except that I havent done a brake job in a few years so I was a little rusty on some details. Didnt know if I had ATE or Girling calipers so I snapped a pic of the ATE that mine has. Checked in with a few friends who advised me on how to properly bed the pads in. I didnt really push it but it feels like an overall improvement. I wont know for sure until I got hit the canyons...

ATE calipers

and the new hardware next to the old hardware

Goals right there man.

Other than that I am stuck between stoptecs and hawk hps pads. My akibonos are gone and j replaced them in July 2015.

I am suspicious of my calipers. I gotta check them out they might be sticky.

Comment

Did you get a discount on those or did you just buy them straight up?

Comment

Got all 4 corners for pretty cheap
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Well... Let's hope this next round of changes make a difference. Won't know for sure for a few weeks though...
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Did you know I wanted to move to CA until your thread. Now I'm looking for places with um... less emissions.
                          My Garage
                          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                            Did you know I wanted to move to CA until your thread. Now I'm looking for places with um... less emissions.

Just about any state except Cali

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                              Theres other ways to legalize these swaps and remember Im using a M52 with S52 cams, 21.5 injectors, M50 manifold and trying to pass it off as a regular ass M50. I know others who used a very similar setup and passed it as a S50 and didnt have as much trouble... plus I usually have to do things the hard way.

That said, I went and took her for a drive in the canyons to let the ECU learn my driving style. Still hauls ass.
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Theres other ways to legalize these swaps and remember Im using a M52 with S52 cams, 21.5 injectors, M50 manifold and trying to pass it off as a regular ass M50. I know others who used a very similar setup and passed it as a S50 and didnt have as much trouble... plus I usually have to do things the hard way.

That said, I went and took her for a drive in the canyons to let the ECU learn my driving style. Still hauls ass.
                                I know a better way for the ECU to learn a more appropriate driving style.............autoxautoxautox
                                '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                                Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                                X