Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

325ic Calypso Euro Conversion - Houndstooth & dbilas now, MT1 & MM 3.2 stroker coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Andre! can't wait to meet you and the ride!
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post

PERFORMANCE
      Even with the ITBs this car is nothing like chicagolande30's or achtunge30's S52 verts.. I've driven chicagolande30's car - it's much faster than mine by quite a bit. But I'm just not feeling the S52. It's not like my old E46 M3 and it doesn't have the sound and vibe of the M20. I'll get there with the stroker and RD headers, and will retain the M20 sound + feel. Focus is on a fat and flat torque curve rather than raw HP. If I need to add the Vortech SC to get the right performance under those conditions I'll do that.

Ahem m30...

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Less is more

There is something to say about sometimes keeping things simple.

I am really surprise how well the car looks even without the MT1 kit; I would have never guess.

As it sits, it personifies a very classic "high end" appearance not distracting from the traditional lines.

The kit might give it a more sporty updated appearance but may detract from that vibe.

Your idea being able to toggle between both appearances addresses that issue.

Don't be surprise if at the end, you are partial to non-mtech1 appearance. Seriously, the car looks that great. I don't think such a dilemma exist with hardtops. I have yet to see a euro hardtop that has NOT benefited from being kitted.

I am thinking now, there is just something about the lines on a vert that can pull the euro appearance off (without the mt1 kit) contingent on the color etc.

Javier

Ha ebay.de a couple of years ago. I think Barron pointed me to the auction. It mounted up perfectly with one very minor issue - on the 771 db valance, the ends of the narrow strip below the grilles have holes for body clips on both the top and bottom of each end. The repro euro valance only had the holes on the top. easy to drill them, but I didn't realize it before painting so I mounted without the lower body clips because I didn't want to expose bare metal or have to repair the paint job.

Thanks javier!! we're kinda obsessed with this car... our plans:

APPEARANCE
        getting close to where we want it, and we'll get it painted in the next year or two. I thought about going body color on the bumpers.. but I dig the chrome alot so..

I'm also thrilled to find the repro MT1 vert side skirts and surprised at how much my wife and I like the way they look.. Our e30 bud Chad was wondering about leaving them black.. it does look good that way but I can't see leaving them a different color than the MT1 front spoiler, trunk spoiler and apron. Then again the rear trunk spoiler is gonna be calypso and black...

As much as we're digging the MT1 bits, we're very excited about being able to switch between them and the stock euro setup. here's how we're doing it:
        - I will keep the original trunk unmodified for collector reasons (though man I hate that 3rd brake light / trunk wart).
        - I scored a rust free used e30 coupe deck lid with the IS spoiler holes pre-drilled. will paint that and use it as my MT1 trunk lid
        - Also have a new OEM trunk lid which I will paint and have available to install unmodified
        - since I have the front euro valance I can just unmount the euro fogs, remove the front frames on them and attach them to the MT1 front spoiler.
        - I remove both bumpers, pull the trim and reassemble them on the MT1 front spoiler and rear apron, then remount.
        - Still need to figure out how to make the vert side skirts cleanly removable - drilling holes for mounting clips isn't too exciting. Truth is though these repro vert skirts are hard fiberglass anyway not urethane like the originals... so maybe I can skip some of the drilling - we'll see.

PERFORMANCE
        Even with the ITBs this car is nothing like chicagolande30's or achtunge30's S52 verts.. I've driven chicagolande30's car - it's much faster than mine by quite a bit. But I'm just not feeling the S52. It's not like my old E46 M3 and it doesn't have the sound and vibe of the M20. I'll get there with the stroker and RD headers, and will retain the M20 sound + feel. Focus is on a fat and flat torque curve rather than raw HP. If I need to add the Vortech SC to get the right performance under those conditions I'll do that.
        Last edited by Javier h; 05-22-2016, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
          Ahem m30...
          lol. touché. lots of terrific M30 swap examples including yours.. Love CorvalisBMWs M30+M106 turbo. Two things stopping me:

-- front end weight of an M30 swap
          -- seeing if I'll be happy with a stroked M20.

I've put about 1k miles on the car now since I got the dbilas ITBs dialed in. She's definitely down on midrange torque, and below 3k there isn't much there either. But the top end seems to be stronger, and the last 200 miles or so seem to have worked some tuning kinks out - she's feeling faster across the board compared to last week.

Some pics of the car from the last few days including The Vintage yesterday. It was great to finally meet jeffnhiscars, n2mye30 and rapide30ic! missed 318aye's delphin unfortunately.

she rolled 200k on the way down - might as well be hauling @ss while turning the odo right?

nice cruising shot on the way to Hot Springs NC.. wife and I enjoyed our first Vintage immensely

Couple of evenings before in downtown Asheville - yes I really did bring the hardtop down from Chicago..
          Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 02:56 PM.

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by Javier h View Post
            There is something to say about sometimes keeping things simple.

I am really surprise how well the car looks even without the MT1 kit; I would have never guess.

As it sits, it personifies a very classic "high end" appearance not distracting from the traditional lines.

The kit might give it a more sporty updated appearance but may detract from that vibe.

Your idea being able to toggle between both appearances addresses that issue.
            I could not agree more! So well stated Javier. In fact if you read earlier in the thread you will see that I sold my previous mtech1 kit because I just wasn't sure I would like the front spoiler. Once I figured out that I could have a real way to swap the setups I picked up a new mtech1 setup.

Don't be surprise if at the end, you are partial to non-mtech1 appearance.
            My wife and I agree. She is putting up with the "mtech1 experiment" for now because she knows I can switch between them :-) she was also surprised how much she likes the vert side skirts... so we will see. It will be fun that's for sure.

Seriously, the car looks that great. I don't think such a dilemma exist with hardtops. I have yet to see a euro hardtop that has NOT benefited from being kitted.

I am thinking now, there is just something about the lines on a vert that can pull the euro appearance off (without the mt1 kit) contingent on the color etc.

Javier
            Again I agree with your thinking here. euro coupes look great but they also look "better" kitted. Verts just don't look the same way kitted.

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

lol. touché. lots of terrific M30 swap examples including yours.. Love CorvalisBMWs M30+M106 turbo. Two things stopping me:

-- front end weight of an M30 swap
              -- seeing if I'll be happy with a stroked M20.
              See idk why people say that. The weight difference is so minimal unless your in an all out track prepped car you will never notice the difference.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                See idk why people say that. The weight difference is so minimal unless your in an all out track prepped car you will never notice the difference.
                well then I clearly have research to do. gonna need a ride in your whip lol. Torque is king.

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

well then I clearly have research to do. gonna need a ride in your whip lol. Torque is king.

Sometime! The torque is incredible its comes on instantly and never stops. I squawked the tires going from 1st to 2nd on two bad cylinders lmao.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Did you get your euro parts?
                    Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Not yet.. Steve's probably still recovering from all the beer he drank/gave away at The Vintage this past weekend..

Levent was there as well. He had a BMW fire extinguisher waiting for me which looks great. After what CorvalisBMW went through recently I didn't want to take any chances. 2200 miles on it in the past week and we're not home yet!

Car has been just about flawless except for the new hardtop seal. Just ran out of time to prep the hardtop properly, but no damage or anything... Pass side of the seal keeps coming off forcing me to tape it up.. using some cloth tape so it doesn't leave residue. On the plus side the seal works amazingly well on the highway! Very little wind noise at speed. Headliner itself hasn't sagged at all either so total win there!

Only other issues, all minor
                      - Pass side window is also starting to slip down a bit. Will have to refurbish the window regulators soon
                      - light oil seepage in a couple of spots. I had to add about 1/3 of a quart after 2k miles. The oil seepage is so slight that it doesnt drip. Quick wipe and it's gone
                      - brake light check light is coming on when I hit the turn signals. All lights work correctly though. Only thing I can think of are the front and rear side marker lights which don't have bulbs in them.
                      Last edited by bradnic; 05-26-2016, 08:47 AM.

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

One more thing has happened.. The right rear wheel bearing is finally starting to go. We used to get the occasional squeak over the last couple of years, but it would always disappear after a minute or so. I've done the rear bearings on a couple of my previous E30s, but just haven't re-done this car's rear setup get. Finally caught up to me I guess..

Anyway, car is squeaking almost continually at low speed now, so time to get bearing swapped out. If it freezes up on the trip home I'll let you all know lol

HOWTOs:
                        DB vert plastic bumpers
                        OEM Keys
                        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                        91 ic Calypso 3.1
                        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

How much more of a trip did you and the Mrs take?

Harbor Freight bearing tool......return for refund when done!

Comment

car looks great. Nice to have finally met you!
                            '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

One more thing has happened.. The right rear wheel bearing is finally starting to go. We used to get the occasional squeak over the last couple of years, but it would always disappear after a minute or so. I've done the rear bearings on a couple of my previous E30s, but just haven't re-done this car's rear setup get. Finally caught up to me I guess..

Anyway, car is squeaking almost continually at low speed now, so time to get bearing swapped out. If it freezes up on the trip home I'll let you all know lol
                              If it melts anywhere near me I have a spare bearing and the pullers :)
                              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                              Alice the Time Capsule
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by e30rapidic View Post
                                car looks great. Nice to have finally met you!
                                Likewise! hope to see you again soon Andre

Originally posted by doorman View Post
                                How much more of a trip did you and the Mrs take?

Harbor Freight bearing tool......return for refund when done!
                                Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                                If it melts anywhere near me I have a spare bearing and the pullers :)
                                ha thanks gents. I actually have the harbor freight bearing tools so I'm set.. made it home fine after 2500 miles in a week - even did a Tail of the Dragon stint (click on the pics for hi-res versions - can see all the defects and bugs on the car lol)

The pass side headlamp wipers are stuck in the wrong position, and the driver's low beam isn't on. I did have a check panel low beam light but the situation resolved itself later.

you can also see the back of the headliner hanging low, and some cloth tape I had to put on the hardtop seal to keep it in place.. lolol.

anyway man what a great trip. verified, consistent 23 mpg on the highway too, with the ITBs!! The throttle response on the twisties was just tremendous.

next step - cam change and installing the RD headers plus a 'stage 2' SSSsquid tune. haven't decided on a 272 schrick or bimmerheads. will likely do IE rockers and beehive springs too.
                                Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 03:01 PM.

HOWTOs:
                                DB vert plastic bumpers
                                OEM Keys
                                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Working...
                                X