Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

325ic Calypso Euro Conversion - Houndstooth & dbilas now, MT1 & MM 3.2 stroker coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ITB sync?

Adjusted idle rev screws and idle's back below 1k most of the time. Does creep up to 1k after driving.

Definitely not feeling more power here. Sounds are great especially at 5k+, including a rapid off throttle gurgle from the exhaust.. Seems like there's some rapid pulsing from the ITBs.. Sounds and feels a little like a miss, but I'm not feeling any power loss. There's also a bit of vibration at idle, feel it mostly but you can also see the top of the hood shake a bit side to side when it's vertical.

my guess is I need to tune/sync the ITBs. I've heard there's a way to tune using a vacuum gauge but I honestly don't know much about it yet.
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

what are you using for the ECU and load sensing?

this is the simplest way but if you use an AFM or MAF you cant use it as the engine wont idle properly without the intake assembly

What's the dbilas procedure? They should have a spec to use a feeler gauge as a first step then vacuum tubes for each runner which is a pita
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

hi digger thanks for the post. running an M30 AFM, 19# injectors and stock ECU with an sssquid tune for now so yeah that tool won't work. as to dbilas ITB tuning procedure that's the key question.. need to find out. Also I do have an LC1 wideband and an Ostrich but I haven't installed or messed with them on this car yet.

only quote I've found so far is from the original owner of my dbilas setup in 2008
        Originally posted by gforce
        I believe dbilas has a chip for motronic designed for their itb system but if you decide to go with a standalone system then be prepared to tune it for some time until you get it right, itb's are heaven to the enthusiastic driver once tuned correctly, the throttle response is incredible.
        he's got another quote in there as well.

no specifics unfortunately. I've also tried emailing dbilas a couple of times now with no response. will keep digging.
        Last edited by bradnic; 04-17-2016, 08:39 PM.

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Another dbilas supercharger build - looks like an E36/M50

just found this on bfc while researching dbilas tuning
          Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Last edited by bradnic; 04-17-2016, 08:52 PM.

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

door jamb seal part number?

this sits at the top of the door jamb on my 91 vert, just in front of the quarter window. anyone know the part number for this thing? having a bear of a time finding any info on it.

there's a partial number molded on the part, but it doesn't look like a BMW part number: 5 / 0983 / L1

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Left 51361933773
              Right 51361933774
              Rivet 51161881149

thanks to Kyle McGary for finding them. he was looking for the exact same parts yesterday lol. they were in the "Front Window Guide" drawing on realoem. makes no sense whatsoever.

my part is broken. supposed to look like this
              Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 02:22 PM.

HOWTOs:
              DB vert plastic bumpers
              OEM Keys
              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
              91 ic Calypso 3.1
              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Lies!!!!
                Originally posted by 318aye View Post
                i'll be there. N2mye30 is a dick though.
                The sound of ITBs are intoxicating!

COTM

Comment

Well I finally got in touch with dbilas. They do have a vacuum adjuster tool for the ITBs.

"Vacuum measure instrument for throttlebody adjusting" 60EUR

Unfortunately I could not checkout from their website due to tech issues, so I hope to get things ordered by phone.

Took a 30 mile drive yesterday. My exhaust sounds very different now on throttle, and the power is no better than stock - maybe worse. It feels like the cylinders are fighting each other so there's definitely a tuning issue. Off throttle above about 2500 rpm it feels like the exhaust is out of sync and it drones quite a bit. Below 2500 it sounds like before.

Vacuum is very low since I'm only connected to a single ITB. Going to move the FPR hose back to a vacuum tap under the ITBs on the hose assembly I made. Kinda funny to see the OBC reporting 36MPG at 80 mph lol.

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Guess Kameron has also faced this issue with RHD ITBs.. time to get a carb sync tool.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rJONPcohZs

just ordered the same sync tool he used

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0411-Syncpro-Carburetor/dp/B000K7JHWA
                    Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 02:27 PM.

HOWTOs:
                    DB vert plastic bumpers
                    OEM Keys
                    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                    91 ic Calypso 3.1
                    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Just got this from dbilas. this is for a different ITB they sell which has ports right on the TBs housings for the fuel injectors, but it should work here too.

Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 02:28 PM.

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Did you offer to send them $$ like we talked about?

Let me know if you need an extra set of hands to sync the carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
                          ahh, that makes sense

Man I spent waaay too much time on all that 8^)

Probably not, it's not boost friendly so looking to use this one

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                          More details please Keith. Always looking for FI friendly plenum info :-)
                          Thought we shouldn't continue this in his thread, not thinking he is going boosted 8^)

This is an old Active Autowerke S54 plenum I picked up long time ago that I was going to use on a set of RB26 ITBs I was putting together. It looks like it should work well on these, biggest issue is the brake booster gets in the way.

I would really like to find one of these with aftercooler built in but can't justify the price yet

I think your plenum should work ok, the inlet is a bit on the big side but if you can find a silicone coupler to fit it you should be good to go?
                          My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                          4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Speaking of out of sync, I thought you might get a kick out of this 8^)

This is from when I first started up after installing them and they were out of sync and it happened to be dark and thought it looked kinda cool

My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                            4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

I'd heard of backfiring through the intake but can't see it since the plenum is mounted... Wow that's quite the light show Keith :-)

HOWTOs:
                              DB vert plastic bumpers
                              OEM Keys
                              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                              91 ic Calypso 3.1
                              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

ITBs are sync'd!

Here's what I was dealing with before syncing the ITBs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_F8Qux_PIM

Here's where I ended up after fiddling with adjustments for 30 minutes. Both the adjustment screws and the throttle linkage needed adjustment to get things balanced. What worked best for me was to just disconnect the linkage from the ITBs first, then fit the linkage on.

more info at http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?p=4622245#post4622245dbilas M20 ITBs after idle sync. some additional tweaking still needed as I...

It wasn't as simple as syncing at idle, as they tended to go out of sync under throttle. So I spent another 30 minutes or so trying to balance everything out. Best part throttle balance required the rear ITBs to run at a lower vacuum level at idle.

Now my idle is at 1400 again.. need to make sure my ICV isn't sticking..
                                Also unfortunately weather sucks so a long drive will have to wait. After that drive in I'll look at adjusting again to get the idle back down where it should be.
                                Last edited by bradnic; 09-03-2017, 02:31 PM.

HOWTOs:
                                DB vert plastic bumpers
                                OEM Keys
                                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Working...
                                X