Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Touring M52B28 (another one from Ireland)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

surprised I hadn't seen this yet. inspiring.
    cars beep boop

Comment

Awesome work! Looking great! :up:
      Just noticed this build since you posted on FB. Subscribing for sure! :D

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

I don't plan on posting to much on fb, to many idiot begrudgers around here, but I couldnt help myself posting it on R3V FB

----------------------------------------------------------

Only got a chance earlier to have a proper look in day light, after lastnight there wasn't much light left by the time I made my way outside.

The paint looks class, so smooth and shiny, very happy with it and the colour.

Other than the first pic the others are straight from the camera.

I couldn't help myself, had to fit a arch flare and a wheel. Thats as low as she goes without any weight in the back.

Comment

THis is going to be blue balls to the 10th till you are done! Cant wait.
          sigpic
          New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
          %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

It's only nearly been 3 years I'm sure I can't wait a bit longer (I'm gonna have to I guess).

Comment

After a few afternoons spent labelling the loom and all plugs I finally got the whole loom pulled from the car!

It's a bit all over the place and I'm not sure if its right but it's out now with some of it rolled up so it doesn't tangle up to much.

Also met this little fella when I removed the speaker grill
              Last edited by Jozi; 01-02-2014, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Just labeling an engine harness was bad enough for me. Nice work, that color looks fantastic.
                91 318is M50 swapped
                05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Hey Jozi - you're Touring looks amazing! I've just started restoring my own and am in the rust removal process. I've just started a thread on here.

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Thanks Klasse. Just had a look for your thread, she looks pretty clean! Enjoy the build!

--- edit ---

Nick, I badly labelled the engine loom and spent ages trying to work it out :p I couldn't have just pulled the main loom without labelling it all, I'd have burned the lot down before figuring out where it's all mean to go!

Comment

Originally posted by Jozi View Post
                      Also met this little fella when I removed the speaker grill
                      European Wasp? Kill it with fire.

Comment

Not a clue, Irish maybe? He was either really sleepy or half dead when I took care of him

Comment

Not much of an update really (being far lazier than I should be) but I do have some work in progress things.

I wanted to get the doors built up but I couldn't let myself use the old grubby catches that go on the door shuts. So I came up with a plan:

Plan was to take the old catches and pretty much ever nut or bolt that will be visible and zinc plate them myself. Couple of nuts, a bolt and a door catch to try it out on after bit of a going over with a wirewheel:

I started with the lock catch thing:

But I got my current a little high and burned the part. Second attempt but with another spare catch went much better, I still managed to burn it a little (user error) but up until that point it looked to be going real well! No pics of it but I do have this after yellow passivating it

I also tried it on a bolts, as expected zinc won't coat the rust but it still came out quite well:

And here's both compared to an original catch from one of the shells (it was actually in pretty good condition considering)

A little more testing to do before I plate the parts that will go back on the car but so far I'm pretty happy with it!

Progress-wise, it's been slow having to do one thing before I do another etc...

So far I've pretty much got everything cavity waxed, sills will be done a 3rd time and I also have to do the subframes and some other parts.
                          The loom is in the car but hasn't been routed around because I needed the holes for the cavity waxing.

Comment

Did these yesterday, mostly a trial run again, brake res bracket will be used as is though, I might possibly to all brackets and bolts in the bay gold passivated.

Cleaned up as well as I could do them:

Zinc plated

And passivated

Comment

Been awhile since I did an update. I was getting the hang of the zinc plating and then it went to shit and just couldnt get a nice plate. I cooked up a new batch of electrolite and it's pretty much been working 100% since. For anyone thinking of doing it, you need patience and it's prob less hassle to let the pro's do it :p

This is more or less what I've done so far

Most of the bolts for the door lock, the lock brackets and bit are plated and a few other bolts from around the door also. Have started on doing the subframe nuts/bolts also, eccentric washers and nuts below for the rear arms. They were new but I decided to strip the coating from them and make them more shiny and maybe? more resistant to rust than what ever bmw had on them.

I also gave the rack a good clean, new inner track rods (don't have or can't find outer ones) and new rubber boots, hardlines got some surface rust removed and a coat of paint, likewise with the spline and the two banjo bolts were zinc plated.

Comment

awesome build! those zinc plated bits are a great idea. it seems like a complicated process.

i need to figure out a way to get a set of those Recaros.

Comment

Working...
                                X