S54 E30 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S54 E30 build

Alright. Back in May of last year, the peppy old m42 with nearly 300,000 miles finally kicked the bucket, breathing out it's final breath at WOT as the bottom end bashed itself to pieces at Barber Motorsports Park. It died as it lived, couldn't think of a better way to go out.

Anyway, from then I began contemplating my swap options. M50 at first, but too slow, then s50, but still, eh, just not doing it for me yet. Euro S50? Maybe. S54? Now we're talking. So I found an S54 on here with a ton of extras and scooped it up, delivered yesterday. This will be my weekend warrior for track duty, and will see relatively little time on the street.

So now the fun part begins.

The motor came with the modified subframe/oil pan from Tyler at ArcAsylum so that's covered.

Ecu flash will most likely be done by Evolve.

I need to acquire:
    ZF 5 speed
    s3.25
    Driveshaft
    Wiring harness modifications
    Clutch & Flywheel
    ECU flash

Things that may play out:
    CSL Airbox
    5 lug (benefits?)
    Bigger BBK for front, move my current willwood dynapro calipers to the rear.
    Ground Control Coilovers w/ Koni SAs (currently on Bilstein Sport/Turner J-stock setup)
    AKG front control arms
    Rear camber correction
    Serious rubber

Various other odds and ends too.

S54B32 swap in progress. Status: Getting There

cant wait to see more! and im jelly.

Comment

this is going to be awesome

Patrick - IG:niicknac
      RIP 1987 BMW 325is - S50'd ZF 6-speed, flared, bagged

Comment

The 5 lug from what i understand is the ability to go to a larger breaking system. A friend of mine is making a 5 lug conversion but its quite costly. But for a track day car you do need damn good brakes so there si a benefit.

Disadvantage is cost but you are doing a S54 swap so go for it.
        Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

Comment

This guy is selling a ZF 5 Speed;

SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!
          IG: ohthejosh

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
          BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

The only real benefits to 5 lug are slightly larger brakes and more wheel selection. IMO I wouldn't go five lug on your car unless you find an E30 M3 setup. The E36 mix n' match setup I've heard causes weird alignment issues and it's not something I would want on a track car. If I were you I would just buy a BBK and call it a day. It'll probably save you some money, too.

I can't wait to see more progress on this build. Did you buy that S54 from the guy on here?
            -Alex

Comment

Massive Brakes makes several nice brake kits for 4 lug. There's no need to do 5 lug. Subscribed for progress. I very much wanted to grab that engine package, it seemed like a steal. Good luck!
              S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
              What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
              Originally posted by slammin.e28
              I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Comment

in for pics in 2 years when the swap is complete!

jk. :)

no, but seriously... good luck.
                AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Lof8 View Post
                  Massive Brakes makes several nice brake kits for 4 lug. There's no need to do 5 lug. Subscribed for progress. I very much wanted to grab that engine package, it seemed like a steal. Good luck!
                  Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
                  The only real benefits to 5 lug are slightly larger brakes and more wheel selection. IMO I wouldn't go five lug on your car unless you find an E30 M3 setup. The E36 mix n' match setup I've heard causes weird alignment issues and it's not something I would want on a track car. If I were you I would just buy a BBK and call it a day. It'll probably save you some money, too.

I can't wait to see more progress on this build. Did you buy that S54 from the guy on here?
                  Thanks for the info on the weird alignment issues, anything more specific on that? I've currently got the Massive Street BBK but I know that I'll need more stopping power than that. 5 lug or not, I'm getting a BBK, front and rear. With the 318ti rear, massive has a kit that would easily move the current front dynapro calipers to the rear. Another motivating factor is that I need to remove all of the suspension anyway because I need new bearings and bushings for almost everywhere.

And yep, I picked up this s54 from 240zs30.

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                  in for pics in 2 years when the swap is complete!

jk. :)

no, but seriously... good luck.
                  I'm hoping on no more than 6 months.

Comment

looking to do this as well it's not if it's a matter of when. What EWS delete system and wiring you planning to do?
                    Work We Do
                    CAtuned Feedback Page|FB CAtuned Page
                    http://www.catuned.com

Comment

No reason for it to take 2yrs. There are quite a few options now that make it much more doable in less time. Can't wait to see this put to use.
                      sigpic

Comment

Just a bit of an update. I know, it's been three months already. I've come to realize just how long this might take, but I want it to be done right so the time doesn't bother me. I'm also still looking for garage space to do it all in. So I've been planning and gathering parts.

I've been focusing more on the suspension and braking aspects of the car. I really want to have that done for when the motor goes in the car.

However, the engine wiring is being done by Andrew325is and should be finished pretty soon. I still haven't found a transmission, driveshaft or differential, but those can be relatively easily found.

The current plan for brakes I've been scheming up with Ron Lee, is Porsche/Brembo yellow PCCB calipers on 2-peice 350mm (non-ceramic)rotors, along with his 5-lug conversion. Ground Control Coilovers with Koni's.
                        Brakes that large will force me to 18in wheels so I'll be purchasing a set of Apex EC-7 18x9 18x9.5

Comment

And because everyone loves pictures, here is the previous plan on brakes. 135i Brembo Calipers on 330mm rotors. Due to concerns about using these on track full time, I decided on the Porsche calipers.

This is just a random ebay ad pic of the Porsche calipers

Comment

looking forward to it being finished
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Asbradley21 View Post
                              So I've been planning and gathering parts.
                              Always fun :)
                              Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                              A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Working...
                              X