S54 E30 build

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Erik
    replied
    I would go with an S2.73 with the ZF. Especially with that much power.

    Leave a comment:


  • Asbradley21
    replied
    Originally posted by CarsSuck
    What concerns did you have?
    Mostly heat related and that they seem "flashy" more than functional. They use (iirc) phenolic piston caps that can become brittle, crack and disintegrate, but really only in circumstances where the titanium backing plate is not used or when incorrect pads are installed. For myself to be comfortable using them, I would have to have the calipers rebuilt with standard pistons (there's a kit from RacingBrakes) and that just costs more money. Along with that they use a 28mm rotor, which in my opinion is way too thin for adequate cooling.

    So I'm opting for something that wouldn't offer such issues.

    Leave a comment:


  • CarsSuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Asbradley21
    . 135i Brembo Calipers on 330mm rotors. Due to concerns about using these on track full time, I decided on the Porsche calipers.


    What concerns did you have?

    Leave a comment:


  • JCarp90
    replied
    add to cart

    Leave a comment:


  • Link
    replied
    Sub'd

    Leave a comment:


  • deutschman
    replied
    Ill subscribe

    Leave a comment:


  • mr2peak
    replied
    Originally posted by Asbradley21
    So I've been planning and gathering parts.
    Always fun :)

    Leave a comment:


  • pilotskillse30
    replied
    looking forward to it being finished

    Leave a comment:


  • Asbradley21
    replied
    And because everyone loves pictures, here is the previous plan on brakes. 135i Brembo Calipers on 330mm rotors. Due to concerns about using these on track full time, I decided on the Porsche calipers.


    This is just a random ebay ad pic of the Porsche calipers

    Leave a comment:


  • Asbradley21
    replied
    Just a bit of an update. I know, it's been three months already. I've come to realize just how long this might take, but I want it to be done right so the time doesn't bother me. I'm also still looking for garage space to do it all in. So I've been planning and gathering parts.

    I've been focusing more on the suspension and braking aspects of the car. I really want to have that done for when the motor goes in the car.

    However, the engine wiring is being done by Andrew325is and should be finished pretty soon. I still haven't found a transmission, driveshaft or differential, but those can be relatively easily found.

    The current plan for brakes I've been scheming up with Ron Lee, is Porsche/Brembo yellow PCCB calipers on 2-peice 350mm (non-ceramic)rotors, along with his 5-lug conversion. Ground Control Coilovers with Koni's.
    Brakes that large will force me to 18in wheels so I'll be purchasing a set of Apex EC-7 18x9 18x9.5

    Leave a comment:


  • 240zs30
    replied
    No reason for it to take 2yrs. There are quite a few options now that make it much more doable in less time. Can't wait to see this put to use.

    Leave a comment:


  • catuned
    replied
    looking to do this as well it's not if it's a matter of when. What EWS delete system and wiring you planning to do?

    Leave a comment:


  • Asbradley21
    replied
    Originally posted by Lof8
    Massive Brakes makes several nice brake kits for 4 lug. There's no need to do 5 lug. Subscribed for progress. I very much wanted to grab that engine package, it seemed like a steal. Good luck!
    Originally posted by acolella76
    The only real benefits to 5 lug are slightly larger brakes and more wheel selection. IMO I wouldn't go five lug on your car unless you find an E30 M3 setup. The E36 mix n' match setup I've heard causes weird alignment issues and it's not something I would want on a track car. If I were you I would just buy a BBK and call it a day. It'll probably save you some money, too.

    I can't wait to see more progress on this build. Did you buy that S54 from the guy on here?
    Thanks for the info on the weird alignment issues, anything more specific on that? I've currently got the Massive Street BBK but I know that I'll need more stopping power than that. 5 lug or not, I'm getting a BBK, front and rear. With the 318ti rear, massive has a kit that would easily move the current front dynapro calipers to the rear. Another motivating factor is that I need to remove all of the suspension anyway because I need new bearings and bushings for almost everywhere.

    And yep, I picked up this s54 from 240zs30.



    Originally posted by Kershaw
    in for pics in 2 years when the swap is complete!

    jk. :)

    no, but seriously... good luck.
    I'm hoping on no more than 6 months.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kershaw
    replied
    in for pics in 2 years when the swap is complete!

    jk. :)

    no, but seriously... good luck.

    Leave a comment:


  • Lof8
    replied
    Massive Brakes makes several nice brake kits for 4 lug. There's no need to do 5 lug. Subscribed for progress. I very much wanted to grab that engine package, it seemed like a steal. Good luck!

    Leave a comment:

Working...