Porsche 911 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porsche 911 Project

I saw that MAXELHOFF has his own build thread now so i've got to step my game up a bit.

I thought i was over 911s when my first one met an untimely demise. It had some strong points and some weak points and was not a "nice" example. However, i was left with a 85,000 mile 3.2 Carrera engine in my garage that i had purchased to replace the very worn original but had not yet installed. It kept taunting me.

This is the OLD car, RIP.

3.2 i picked up in Raleigh NC:

I started passively looking for another car that was maybe not so great mechanically and found an '82 911 SC in Tampa. Called up my friend Bender and we hopped in the E30 for a road trip from ATL to Tampa and back in one shot. This is it in sellers driveway.

Here we are refueling in southern GA in the middle of the night. Oh, and then the 911 refused to start (megasquirt)

We made it home with no other issues which is a miracle in itself but i'll go into that later. This is a few days later with my 9" fuchs on the rear and 7's on the front.

At this point the entire AC system is gone, but it has a pretty bad exhaust leak so i parked it for a couple weeks getting ready to swap my 3.2 engine in.

So then i was trolling craigslist for more things i don't need and found an ad for "porsche carburetors". One crazy story later i have these:

The snowball had begun to roll.
    Last edited by LJ851; 02-28-2015, 11:50 AM.
    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
    The M30 is God's engine.

Oh god yes

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
      Oh god yes

Comment

.........AHHHHH i await!

Comment

After a couple weeks i decided since the engine ran pretty well besides the exhaust leak, i would fix the leak and drive it until my 3.2 (now on carbs!!) was ready.

I found a missing ex stud so i dropped the headers and found this:

In case you can't tell, that is a broken off tap and some drill work done by a blind,one armed third grader. I lost the desire to repair that upside down in the drive way so it was officially parked awaiting 3.2.

This handiwork was a foreshadowing of the other "work" the PO did on the car.

Some people should not be allowed to own tools.
          Last edited by LJ851; 01-28-2013, 11:43 PM.
          Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

The PO should be in jail.
            sigpic
            Originally posted by JinormusJ
            Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
            1989 325is Raged on then sold.
            1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
            1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
            1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

OHHHH NOICE!

I'd make a trip to GA to hold your hand while you drove me down some twisties.
              1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

subbed i love 80s 911s
                88 325is Five Speed
                Lachssilber

Comment

Yes yes yes. Please, do go on.

Comment

oh Shit! sooooo clean
                    grain of salt:p

http://https://youtu.be/H8gOAzYchAE:ot:

Comment

This is the 3.0 in the car with a megasquirt kit (originally CIS) on it.

Check out that wiring. Every single clamp on the fuel injection system was less than hand tight, you could spin them on the hoses.:shock:

The bottom fitting on the (no longer used) large fuel filter right above the MSD box was T'd into the return fuel line but was open on top, amazingly the fuel stayed in it.:shock:

Once i decided to not repair the head on the car i started selling parts starting with the megasquirt kit.

Local guy i used to work for needed a 3.0 engine to build into a race motor for his IROC tribute 911. Didn't care about the heads. Sounds perfect, right?

There is one catch, he wants to disassemble the engine before payment. It seemed worth the risk so i did this.

Before disassembly we agreed on 3 things that had to be there to get payment: Standard/Standard crank, undamaged rods, undamaged cases.

I was slightly nervous as we took it apart and found pistons in backwards, broken head studs, circlips on 5 pistons folded into ovals and absolutely destroying the pistons. We both agreed the engine would have exploded in the very near future if i had kept driving it.

Results: perfect crank, perfect rods, perfect cases and not much else!

3.0 and megasquirt paid for my low mile 3.2, suhweeet!

Original tranny is ready to be sold cause i bought another trans...

Last edited by LJ851; 01-28-2013, 11:41 PM.
                      Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
                        OHHHH NOICE!

I'd make a trip to GA to hold your hand while you drove me down some twisties.
                        My hands are pretty busy in a 911 driven in anger, maybe you could hold on to something else? :giggle:

Originally posted by MAXELHOFF View Post
                        oh Shit! sooooo clean

Thanks!
                        Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

How does someone put pistons in backwards!? Do you think the PO was shady or just didn't know better?
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by JinormusJ
                          Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
                          1989 325is Raged on then sold.
                          1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
                          1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
                          1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

Originally posted by frankenbeemer View Post
                            How does someone put pistons in backwards!? Do you think the PO was shady or just didn't know better?
                            More power. The wrist pin is slightly over to one side of center, to compensate for the piston being driven towards one side of the bore. Dirt track trick. Wouldn't be surprised if the rings were upside down so you can put methanol in the oil and get a boost during the race. Sure, you'll smoke the engine, but you'll win.
                            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

To be fair, i'm pretty sure the PO did not know about the internal engine issues except possibly the head studs.

The pistons on an SC are very asymmetrical but there are no valve pockets machined into them. The intake valves on several cylinders had made contact with the pistons.

I picked up a '83 gearbox with 90k on it. It's a factory LSD unit with 40% lockup and came from Ohio so it was a little crusty. Here it is all cleaned up with all new seals and clutch actuation parts installed. I added 930 turbo output flanges which are larger and allow me to run later model G50 axles that are much stronger.

Here is the original very worn clutch fork.

Last edited by LJ851; 01-28-2013, 11:38 PM.
                              Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X