• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet
    1989 US E30 Cammed S52
    Under Construction: 1983 Euro E28 Cammed LQ9/LS3 Heads/Jakeb E28 LSx Kit

Comment

I forgot to mention the oil cooler install. My car came with what is called a "trombone" oil cooler. It basically the same brass oil lines in a couple loops in front of the passenger side front tire.

It is not a very effective cooler and with the 3.2 engine i wanted more so i got a used oil cooler out of a late 930 turbo. It fits in the same place but the mounting brackets are different. The lower bracket is pretty cheap from porsche so i bought that and fabbed my own upper mount. The lower bracket gets welded to the chassis.

You can see it here with the cooler mounted. The upper bracket is hidden and i still need to relocate the horns.

View from the wheel side.

Rebuilt halfshafts installed.

Here you can see the CV bolts safety wired, i did them in pairs.

While i was waiting for parts to show up installed stainless flex lines at all four corners...

and rebuilt all the booster linkage, replaced all the vacuum hoses and installed a new master cylinder. I had the housing that holds the booster anodized black.

I decided to mess with the muffler i thought had a flange welded on crooked. Turns out it was tweaked in shipping and very easy to bend back into shape. I installed it.

It's a bit louder than the other muffler, i like them both.

There is a fair bit a wiring i don't approve of and a lot of wiring i will no longer need since this car will be bare bones.

The way porsche wired these cars is pretty handy for what i am doing. There is a main basic harness and all the options are separate sub harnesses. So i removed the power mirror harness, the sunroof harness, etc.

Some don't work the same and here is the brake light circuit (on the left and which i need) separated from the warning system harness it was part of.

Looking at the messy wiring under the hood and in the interior has been killing me so today i went at it and got it to an acceptable level of tidyness.
      Here is what i removed today.

Much better!

Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Amaizing! Nice work! Porsches are so nice!
        E30 now S52
        2008 Suburban LTZ (Family and TT hauler)
        325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

Pulled out of my driveway on my second test drive and as i was accelerating up the road i heard a flapping from my left rear wheel. I looked in the mirror and saw this hanging off the tire.

Tire looks like this, has 2 miles on it.

It doesn't seem to have compromised the tire but pretty disappointing none the less. Fender lip is razor sharp for some reason, i'll roll them and see if i can put my spacers back on after.
          Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Well how did she drive?
            Are Three Vee

Dad Spec

Comment

The engine sounded ok when i started it but the timing didn't adjust and change like i thought it should. It did not like running where i thought the timing should be and timing mark jumped around a lot. I was beginning to question my homemade distributor. A test drive confirmed the problem, it wouldn't take any load below 3-4 k and was backfiring and carrying on.

I compared it my old 3 liter dist (again) i didn't see why it would be acting odd so i did this.

I have a paint mark on the center of the tip of the rotor so with a timing light i can check how well the rotor lines up with the terminal when it fires.

Well, i couldn't even see the rotor in the hole, it was so out of phase! I am thinking that this is not possible, WTF?

Lots of head scratching and inspection reveal no flaws. I wired the MSD box to the bosch magnetic pickup via a description of the way to achieve the most stable spark output, it works both ways. Before i went into the dist to try and fix something i didn't think was wrong i decided to switch the wires on the MSD box.

Perfection! The rotor lined up just like it should and the whole dist acted like it should. If you wire a magnetic pickup one way it triggers off the leading edge and if you wire it the other way it triggers of the trailing edge. Learned something new!
              Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Sweet Jesus man! More videos and stuff
                I Say... that is some awesome shit!

'86 325e- (parts car)
                '89 325i- DD and project aka "Shirley"

Progress thread for Shirley

Comment

How's this coming along? I can only live a Porsche dream vicariously through you as actually owning one isn't in my budget currently haha.
                  sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Love the wire pulling on your car, too! LOL! I LOVE seeing progress on this thread:)
                    Originally posted by LJ851
                    kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
                    ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
                    #teamross
                    Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Not a lot to report, my girl and i have trying to buy a house/farm and i have been pretty busy jumping through all the hoops.
                      Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

We closed on the new property and I have been working on it like a rented mule since then. I won't really have much happening on the 911 until my shop is moved over to the new place.
                        Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post

Have you seen the new piece that's on this wall? It's totem as well but he does the 'paint on telephone pole so when you look at it head on it dissapears' thing wayyy more intricately it's rad.
                          sigpic

Comment

what an amazing thread! super good work. makes me want to buy the one that is sitting in my dads shop parking lot. its an 87 911 with 76k on it. hasnt been on the road or even moved in about 10 years. its very very very clean for just sitting. i will get a picture of it and post and it up.
                            Originally Posted by scaraveos
                            Are saying about welding the head to the block? and if yes how is it seperated if required?

(possibly a stupid post)

Comment

Update

Comment

Fuckin Rain every day.

Still working on getting my shop put together in between customer jobs and everything else. Haven't driven much but i think i will prob end up doing a top end rebuild on the 3.2 engine.

Waiting.

I will say that seeing my 1600 back on the ground for the move has gotten me all hot and bothered.

Real updates soon i hope !
                                Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Working...
                                X