• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loving this build thoroughly.
    keep it up
    Subbd

Comment

so many unanswered questions....

I dont see a BAR sticker in that engine bay ;)
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        so many unanswered questions....

I dont see a BAR sticker in that engine bay ;)
        Post Edited...
        Last edited by pandaboo911; 10-11-2014, 12:40 AM.

Comment

well, there you go. Thanks :up:
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I'd love to get some more details on that front 5 lug conversion please!

Comment

Originally posted by M3PO View Post
              I'd love to get some more details on that front 5 lug conversion please!
              PM Max399
              He distributes them. Cost is $200

Comment

Small update: following the advice of David at FourB Auto (builds 1000+whp S52's) I'm gonna skip o-ringing. Stock gasket and water inj. should hold 14 psi easy.
                The head is getting a valve job and a resurface, I should have it back next week.

Also in regards to the BAR examination. It will still happen at some point, just down the road. I'm looking into options, I've already installed a fake fuel filler neck, and will make some modifications to hide my fuel cell. I've also ripped the speedo out of my old cluster so I have a working odometer hidden under the dash. I also pulled out the CEL light and installed it in the center console. Apart from a charcoal canister the car should pass visual. Provided they don't see the missing fuel tank :)
                Last edited by pandaboo911; 09-20-2014, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Nice! keep the updates coming. If you mind I ask, where did you get your barrier hoses for the A/C?

Comment

Originally posted by E30NJ View Post
                    Nice! keep the updates coming. If you mind I ask, where did you get your barrier hoses for the A/C?
                    What are barrier hoses?

Comment

Pew pew updates. Thanks Eric (Cabriolet) for coming out and helping me lift the head onto the block. And for letting me borrow your torque wrench :)

Here's some pics Eric took

A random picture of some brake fluid in a plastic box. Dem photography skillz Eric.

Last edited by pandaboo911; 02-06-2015, 01:04 AM.

Comment

One

Two

Three

And the remaining parts waiting in a box.

Last edited by pandaboo911; 09-30-2014, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Spool has been located. It's a V1 S-Trim. I picked it up for $650. It's gonna scream.

So upon starting up the engine again it has a very lumpy idle. I suspect I made a mistake when I did the Vanos timing. I didn't recheck my timing and it's probably off by a small margin. Gonna have to retime it.
                          Last edited by pandaboo911; 09-30-2014, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Parked next to this car, when suddenly.

Fap Fap motherfucker
                            Last edited by pandaboo911; 10-05-2014, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Nice! you got her running. did you re do the cam timing?
                              Much wow
                              I hate 4 doors

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
                                Nice! you got her running. did you re do the cam timing?
                                Actually no, I think the valves hadn't seated and a cylinder was not sealing. The car had an abnormal rhythm while cranking, like 1 cylinder was down on compression.

I also noticed the timing chain was rattling really loudly. I took off the VC and did a visual inspection and found the timing was spot on perfect. I took out the primary chain tensioner and put a few washers in it to increase the chain tension. Also found that I forgot to unlock the secondary tensioner, hence the chain rattle. I started it up and took it for a short drive and there was an instant noticeable difference in the mid range. Runs wayyy better now. I'll do another compression test and compare results.

Also I did an oil flush after the headgasket swap using some oil detergent stuff (basically diesel fuel) to get rid of any scotch brite material or dirt. I swapped the oil with some thinner 10w30, I was running 5w40 before. I had an oil leak spring up in the oil pressure sensor line. I bet it's due to the oil flush. I'm gonna run the 10w30 for a few thousand miles, but it's too thin, only have 9psi oil pressure at idle vs. 11-12 before. The 10w30 also runs 10 degrees colder on the highway, which is weird.
                                Last edited by pandaboo911; 01-25-2015, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X