COKGBLR goes under the knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COKGBLR goes under the knife

Car is a 01/90 build. This thread will document the transition. Probably slow going.

First up is a ground control kit. Pics are as in process, posted in real time.

Got the car up on stands and the wheels off. Sprayed almost a can of PB on all the bolts so far.

- Josh
    1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
    Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Good luck, any un-fixable rust being an IL car, killed mine in the three years I had it there.
    Continuous For Sale Thread
    323i s50

Comment

Nothing too bad, most of the car is rust free.

Got the left side strut and control arm out before stopping for the night.
      - Josh
      1990 325is

Need a shift boot?

Comment

Left side goodies are out, we ended up having to cut the inner ball joint because the nut got stuck and we couldn't get the shaft to stop spinning.

The gland nuts are rusted solid, had to stand on a 36" pipe wrench.

About 90% there on the right side, hoping to get it out today.
        - Josh
        1990 325is

Need a shift boot?

Comment

Fronts are out, going to the machine shop tomorrow.

The machinist is a friend of my dad's, he wants to cut it off and thread the inside because he feels it'll be a stronger piece. We'll see what happens.

Edit: no go on the threading, it'll be a cut and weld job.

- Josh
          1990 325is

Need a shift boot?

Comment

Perches are off the front housings, only the subframe bolts holding everything in now. Should be out later tonight/tomorrow.
            - Josh
            1990 325is

Need a shift boot?

Comment

So one of the bolts thru the guibo is pretty stuck. I may or may not have rounded one of the surfaces. Any tips on getting this out? I think I may be able to get a die grinder in there to cut the nut. Any tips?

Which way do I need to turn the nut on the driveshaft? It doesn't seem to want to move at all.
              - Josh
              1990 325is

Need a shift boot?

Comment

Used a die grinder and cut that nut off, and pulled the driveshaft out. Looks like I need a CSB, the rubber is torn.

What's up with my fuel tank? The car is a late model, and there's no transfer tube. The pump is on the deep side and there's a sending unit for the level on the shallow side. It has two access holes in the top of the tank.

- Josh
                1990 325is

Need a shift boot?

Comment

The car as it sits now:

I have a newfound admiration for you guys who do this in parking lots.
                  - Josh
                  1990 325is

Need a shift boot?

Comment

Got all the old bushings/ball joints pressed out and new ball joints and cabs pressed in.

I used this giant 50 ton press; it took 30 tons of force before the ball joints popped.

This 10 pound dead blow was amazing.

We used a 2 3/8" socket to press the diff bushing; it ripped the rubber and got stuck. We had to press the socket out and then cut the bushing sleeve to pull it out of the diff cover.

- Josh
                    1990 325is

Need a shift boot?

Comment

Got most of the painting done.

I'll be back at it next weekend, I'm ordering the extras this week so we can do shifter bushings and brake lines and then start reassembly.
                      - Josh
                      1990 325is

Need a shift boot?

Comment

Looking good, you will love the handling. Handling>power I would take a proper coilovers eta over any swapped e30 on H&R type springs.
                        ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                        ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                        ~ '87 535
                        ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                        ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

I wanna take a ride in it when you get done.
                          I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
                          Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

Originally posted by F34R View Post
                            Looking good, you will love the handling. Handling>power I would take a proper coilovers eta over any swapped e30 on H&R type springs.
                            I'm really excited to drive it once it's back together.
                            Originally posted by CrusherCurtis View Post
                            I wanna take a ride in it when you get done.
                            Sure man, I'll pm you when it's all done.
                            - Josh
                            1990 325is

Need a shift boot?

Comment

Spent all weekend and managed to get the fuel tank out, replace the ebrake cables, and touch up the paint on the under car bits. All of the main assemblies are most of the way put together, hoping to be able to just get the floor jack out and lift everything in place this coming weekend.

Gonna hit up BMW this week for the last of the bolts and little pieces I need.
                              - Josh
                              1990 325is

Need a shift boot?

Comment

Working...
                              X