Back in Black (now with s50 and bags)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by White325is View Post
    To clear the front bags. You're going to need close to a 25mm adapter.
    Really? The bag sticks out that much further than the stock strut?
    Instagram: @dillonmakar

Build thread HERE

Comment

Finally home for spring break which means a lot is going to get done, especially next week. Came home to the lovely sight of new parts with even more coming.

First up is the new hood emblem.

Also ordered some extended lug bolts for the front since I'm running 5mm spacers. Not sure what spacer I'm going to run on the rear yet.

Also got some trunk carpet since mine was missing. Ignore the incorrect battery just had that one laying around. Still working on getting the drivers side to fit, doesn't seem to want to sit in there correctly so I'll fix that soon.

Build thread HERE

Comment

Originally posted by White325is View Post
        To clear the front bags. You're going to need close to a 25mm adapter.
        What style of front bag are you talking about?

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
          What style of front bag are you talking about?
          airlift front rolling sleeve kit

Build thread HERE

Comment

^ Do they really need that much clearance when fully aired out? I don't I think I've ever seen a picture of them in their fully aired out state.

You're talking about this style, right? (obviously not this exact model)

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Compared to this style

Comment

^ Do they really need that much clearance when fully aired out? I don't I think I've ever seen a picture of them in their fully aired out state.

You're talking about this style, right? (obviously not this exact model)

Correct, I'm really not sure how much clearance I need, pretty new to this. Everybody I've talked to has told me differently so I guess I'll find out.

Build thread HERE

Comment

Originally posted by dillon7 View Post
                  Correct, I'm really not sure how much clearance I need, pretty new to this. Everybody I've talked to has told me differently so I guess I'll find out.
                  I'm at the same point lol. I haven't put too much research into it because I'm still a ways away from bags.

I guess you'll be my guinea pig hahaha!

Comment

I'm at the same point lol. I haven't put too much research into it because I'm still a ways away from bags.

I guess you'll be my guinea pig hahaha!
                    It's kind of hard to find any info, just have to ask around from people that have done it. I've talked to white325is (he sold me my set up, buy yours from him great deal) and NickL and a couple of friends that have bags, not on e30s though, to try and figure it all out. I'll be sure to take plenty of pics and stuff for you haha.

Build thread HERE

Comment

Originally posted by dillon7 View Post
                      I'll be sure to take plenty of pics and stuff for you haha.

Comment

Made some progress today.

Finished welding the exhaust up. I can't TIG weld very well so I had my Dad do that while I took some pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dad welding (1 of 1).jpg
Views:	85
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	10088433

Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust  (1 of 1).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	10088432

I also picked up a late model front valence the other day. It is nice and straight so should work well. I did a quick test fit and it looks really close but I might have to do some tweaking. It will be sanded down, prepped, and painting tomorrow.

Also, some big parts came in today and hopefully the rest come in tomorrow. This build is about to get interesting again
                        Last edited by dillon7; 03-21-2023, 03:31 PM.

Build thread HERE

Comment

Today was basically christmas when this showed up to my house

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bags in box (1 of 1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	210.4 KB ID:	10088434

So the parts list includes:

Air Lift Sleeve-over strut kit

Air House 2 rear bag

5 gallon tank

dual 444 compressors

3/8 lines

water traps

325is front lip

Click image for larger version  Name:	front lip (1 of 1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	287.4 KB ID:	10088435

Pretty stoked about all the parts. I'll be installing everything over the next couple days so I'll have plenty of updates. Hopefully everything goes along smoothly and I should learn a lot along the way.

Besides opening boxes I sanded down and primed the late model front valence. Going to wait for the weather to be perfect before I paint it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	valence primed (1 of 1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	271.5 KB ID:	10088436

Say goodbye to static

Last edited by dillon7; 03-21-2023, 03:36 PM.

Build thread HERE

Comment

You're a fucker.

Comment

Originally posted by JCarp90 View Post
                              You're a fucker.

Build thread HERE

Comment

I've been working on the car a ton so sorry for no updates but it is now time.

I'm 85% complete with the whole bag set up. All of the difficult fabricating is finished so now it's time to touch everything up before it all goes in for the final time. I now see why not a lot of people bag these things...takes a lot of work.

Enough talking time for pictures and stuff.

I started on the rears first. Got the spring out and this is what I was presented with.

Time to play with air tools. ;D Anyways, cut it off and was left with this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_MG_0617.jpg Views:	0 Size:	207.9 KB ID:	10088438

I cut it a little too high so I had a crap ton of grinding to do on this side. Learned from that for the other side which went a lot quicker. Here is what they all ended up looking like after grinding them down flat.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_MG_0626.jpg Views:	0 Size:	304.4 KB ID:	10088439

After that I decided to move to the front and start making measurements for all the cuts that needed to be made. It was a little confusing but luckily after some trial and error I got it right. Gathered up all of my parts and headed to my Dad's shop to do a little fabrication.​

Making the cut on strut tube.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_MG_0648.jpg Views:	0 Size:	263.0 KB ID:	10088440

tacked in. A little too long still so I cut another 1/4" off.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_MG_0651.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.4 KB ID:	10088441

The top hat that comes with the kit is huge and I had the shorten the diameter.

Drilling the holes

Picture of the room I was working in.

Also decided to make some 3/16" spacers since the 5mm ones were a little aggressive. Just used the 5mm ones as a template and used this awesome machine to punch the holes out instead of having to drill them out.

Final product

KYB Camaro shocks also showed up for the rear.

Back to the rear. Drilled a hole through the control arm for the bolt to mount the bag.

While I was doing the rear my Dad started welding up the front.

Had to do a lot of cutting and some welding on the rear top hat for the bag. Didn't take too many pictures but this is how it came out.

Dad finished up welding the front struts and they came out fantastic.

I forgot to take pictures but built some brackets for the tank as well. Nothing fancy just some simple bends but it gets the job done. Also plugged all the holes in the tank.

For some reason I jump around a lot but I got out the new shocks and assembled the top mount. The diameter for the lower bolt is too big so I have to find something to press in to fit better.

Started wiring everything together. Ran the ignition wire to the front to the fuse box, wired the compressors and the power and ground to the battery. For some reason wiring the ignition to the ignition fuse didn't work but running it to the radio/speedo did, oh well. It's all a mess right now but the compressors work so I just need to clean it all up.

While I was doing all this I painted my late model front valence and is lip using duplicolor universal black. It matches pretty well and I was happy with it. I'll get a better idea of how I like it once I get everything on the car.

All in all it's been a busy past couple of days. I had no idea there was so much involved. Just looking at pictures and reading this thread probably doesn't seem like a lot but it is. I can't wait to come home and finish it so I can see all the work paid off. A little tease.

Last edited by dillon7; 03-21-2023, 04:17 PM.

Build thread HERE

Comment

Working...
                                X