No announcement yet.

1991 318is resto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a solid base you have, I'm rebuilding a 318is & I honestly know the feeling where the car seems happy to be in the garage(well shed in my case)

Keep up the good work

Comment

Also about to start restoring my 318. Waiting to pick up a daily so I can really start working on it. GL and I will be interested to see how yours turns out

Comment

Chugging along...

Time to get that hood out of the way...

Step 1: Open hood...

See bracket on right under all that grease..

Bracket on left under same grease...

Both at once... BEAUTIFUL...

Identify tubing for wiper spray nozzles... Remove...

Remove rusty roller guides and set aside for deep cleaning

Take note of grounding strap and then loosen all those bolts...

Call a thirsty friend and tell him you have beer.. Once he's at your
        place...well... now you know how I got help removing my hood..
        No time to waste remove that ugly washer reservoir..Im thinking relocating
        it to the trunk...

Feeling good I then worked on the lights, removing the plastic grills..

Grills out, loosen bolts that hold light bracket in place then...

Pray to God you can remember how to put it all back a year from now....

Ta-daaaa...

Now I have to build a second shed to start putting ALL THIS STUFF in it...

Comment

thats certainly jumping into the deep end, keep up the great work restoring that beauty!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony B View Post
              Looks like a solid base you have, I'm rebuilding a 318is & I honestly know the feeling where the car seems happy to be in the garage(well shed in my case)

Keep up the good work
              Thanks!

Originally posted by TroyShark View Post
              Also about to start restoring my 318. Waiting to pick up a daily so I can really start working on it. GL and I will be interested to see how yours turns out
              Originally posted by E30stan View Post
              thats certainly jumping into the deep end, keep up the great work restoring that beauty!
              Stay tuned...

Comment

Shed just about finished.... Moving parts in today....

Comment

Well, new shed built to accommodate all this stuff, not very exciting pics but for a 2 day job Im happy with it...

Work continues on the car too...

Got all the screws out for the front valence without breaking any...

Dropped the valance, pretty good shape I think...

Looks awesome like this...

Rads good but Im gonna get a new one, this one will never clean up
                  proper...

Gonna loose that ABS unit..anyone with a guide on an ABS delete feel free
                  to link it!

Lots of grease to clean out... and that damn rust...

Finished the day by cleaning off the ww container. That's going in the trunk
                  for sure...

Comment

Short Post... Doors are off and those with keen eyesight will see the trunk lid is off too... 8) Removing the pins is the EASY way of removing the doors... I left the brackets in place... RH door will have to be replaced though..Bottom is rusted out... :(

Written notes on pics are for my reference...

No clue what that blue wire is for...

I like the look of her, all stripped down... sexy...

Next up is getting some of the accessories off the engine...

Comment

Moving along, Ive started to tackle the engine bay. Between work, wife and kids this has become my second full-time job. I literally get up on my days off, have breakfast and go to the garage till the kids come home. It's awesome actually.

So, first things first was to get the starter out. A lot of these pics have labels
                      on them, I did that for a bunch to keep track of what goes where - never thought about saving a copy of the pics without the labelling..sorry about that..

The starter was quite a bitch to get out. Lotsa stuff in the way and the bolts were rusty and and didnt really want to give. Swearing alot really helps though...

Ive become good friends with WD40...

All the coolant lines were soft and old. Its all scrap...

The fuel lines too..

I am planning to simplify the coolant lines by deleting the throttle body heater plate as this will be a summer car (well Canadian summer car...)

I labelled as much as I could.. Funny thing is the flash from the camera removed all traces of what I'd written on the labels!! Aaah the irony...

The coolant hose connector kinda broke off in the engine...Its a rubber ring thats pressed fit in. It basically disintegrated.I searched on realoem for the part but its part number is not listed.. Gonna need replacing..Like everything else!

Starter FINALLY out!!!... Felt like Id just ran a marathon....

The car is looking AWESOME....

Removed the radiator (no pics of that) which was as easy as things get and continued on...

Next up, accessories...

First the alternator, which funny enough Im planning the refurbish over the winter along with the starter... No idea how to but it will be fun...

Getting the alternator out is pretty straight forward. Remove the belt by loosening the tensioner and then loosen up the bolts. The only sticky part was prying it off the bushings from the housing that the bolts slide thru. Mine were REALLY tight. You just have to wiggle it left to right for a while and they'll finally give...

Out and on the workbench...

Next up, the power steering pump and lines...Pretty straight forward... Just be ready with a bucket of some sort underneath... duh...

Pretty messy but done! All this will be binned and bought new...

Out with the charcoal filter...

I think this bracket is NLA so Im gonna clean it up...

Charcoal canister out and binned.. These things arent cheap...

Soaking the rusty brackets in Evaporust...Works great...

Enough posting...Gotta get in the garage and do some work!! :)

Comment

Great thread. Seems like you have the same experience with cars/repairing stuff as I do. Have the same car and currently in the starting stages of restoring it.

Looking forward to your progress/updates!

:up:
                        E30: '91 318is - M52/ZF320 | Azev A 16X7.5 | H&R Race/Bilstein | Completely refreshed suspension/brakes/drivetrain

An Associate/Bachelors degree is America's most overrated product

Comment

Nice build, it would be nice with my RS's. :up:
                          E30S54 - Scale Suspension / Unix Performance Coilovers - 17x8 and 17x9 BBS E50

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Lepage View Post
                            Nice build, it would be nice with my RS's. :up:
                            AH!! LMAO....I don't know, what do you guys on here think??

I think he wants like, 500$ bucks for them... ;D

Comment

Originally posted by AllydNYC View Post
                              Great thread. Seems like you have the same experience with cars/repairing stuff as I do. Have the same car and currently in the starting stages of restoring it.

Looking forward to your progress/updates!

:up:
                              Hey best of luck..Im loving it but patience is definitely a virtue!!

Comment

While doing all this nonsense I also found the courage to disconnect the throttle cable...

Bracket is overtop the charcoal canister bracket:

Pic of throttle assembly but what I like in this pic is my completely SEIZED blower in the background.. Can't wait to tackle that biatch....

Joining the starter and other orphaned components on my workbench:

Mr Power himself:

and his amigo, El bomba...

Soaked this stuff in Evaporust:

Before:

After:

Apparently water and molasses does the same thing, which is probably what this Evaporust stuff is... works great either way...

While I was waiting on that my wife brought me this:

and the mailman brought me this:

Which led to MORE stuff on my workbench.....

Im very happy right now..... :D

Comment

Working...
                                X