No announcement yet.

1991 318is resto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting ready for the subframe cleanup! First had to crack-free the four bolts holding the trailing arms to the rear beam... It was an EPIC battle, worthy of a Beowulf-like epic poem for sure, but I did manage to get them loose!! I now firmly believe restoring a car is all about forearm strength... atleast 95% of it anyways....

Dirty rotten bast*rds out and bagged:

Whats left:

Also got to work on the rear sway bar...

Removal, with the subframe out, was easy for a change... The bolts gave easily, probably scared by the beating those subframe bolts got!!

Not too shabby but a little rusty...

New kit, including bushings and brackets, links and bolts..

Took her out and cleaned her up... lots of fun...

With the cleanup complete, a few coats of anti-rust paint applied and the bushings as well. I used KY jelly, uh, cause it works...

Fuel tank is next!!!!!

Comment

Well fuel tank is next... With the subframe out of the way this isnt a huge job - but throw in 24 years of rain/road salt/snow/sand/dirt and it gets interesting...

Thinking ahead, I started WD40ing the bolts a few weeks back..

Here you can see the state of my brake lines ( a wee bit of rust..) and the rusted seam of the fuel tank:

To get started first I disconnected the fuel filler hose here on the right:

Here was the result of my first bolt removal attempt:

I took a moment and thought "This is going to be fun..."

Undetered I continued on.. The tank has 3 attachment points facing forward, two bolts far left, and center and one nut which attaches to a stud on the far right - that's good to know cause I didn't...

Luckily I took it easier and got the 2nd one off.. Here is the stud:

On my car the far left forward bolt has the fuel filter
      in the way..While a small pain in the *ss it came out...

Out:

Being optimistic about my chances of actually getting this thing out I disconnected the fuel lines to the filter and put a support underneath the tank...

Oddly enough the rear facing bolts came out no problem - go figure... and I was able to drop the tank:

However there are a few lines to disconnect: Electrical supply to the pump (previously removed)

Fuel line to the filter:

Vent lines:

This line, at the top of the pic below is a vent line to the charcoal filter. Its completely useless and will be completely removed. I will also not be reinstalling the charcoal filter. The vent line from the venting system (black part of it on right) will be rolled up with a small fuel line filter attached and vented to the atmosphere...

with something like this..

The frame of the car with the tank out: Brake line and fuel line replacement is a breeze now...

Almost out:

Out and uh, in the way... :)

[/i]

Comment

I was tooling in my new neighbour's garage while he was out at work and came across this:

WOW! Amazing the things one can find..

Figuring he wouldn't miss it, I dragged it over to my place...

Now I stated before I have never welded but like all things in this project to date IGNORANCE is not an obstacle!

I went to the local welder and bought this:

I figured since my welding experience totals ZERO I would start where it wouldn't show "if" I messed up... Logical place being the footwells...

So out with the grinder nice and early next morning.... zip zip cut cut...

Like a fat girl in a tight shirt: not pretty...

That left hand corner was really bad. I have to be honest and say I was pretty scared.

Now how do I turn this welder on......

Comment

Working...
        X