No announcement yet.

Blunttech / Classic Daily S85 V10 E30 M3 Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

didn't realize you guys were building this in Michigan until I saw the post over the weekend on the Michigan bmw facebook page!

what part of michigan? I'd love to see this beast in person sometime.
    -Brad
    My E30: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...50#post3916850

Comment

My shop is in Bay City.
      www.classicdaily.net
      1970 m42 swapped 2002
      1985 LS1/T56 Swapped e28 (557e)

www.blunttech.com - For all your parts needs

Follow me on Instagram for constant build updates @classicdaily
      https://www.facebook.com/ClassicDailyLLC

Comment

Amazing work on that subframe! Sucks that the header prevented the use of the Z3 rack. I've been looking for a fast ratio rack with a pinion angle close to the stock e30 rack, for header clearance. Not sure if that exists.

Why is the plate under the pan so close? I'm not familiar with the depth of the s85 pan, so I assume it's for maximum ground clearance. I'd just be worried about contact there, depending on the engine mounts used. My m60 settled probably 1/4" within a few thousand miles on stock m60 mounts, which allowed contact between the rack and oil pan. Didn't take long to do damage after that...
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
          Amazing work on that subframe! Sucks that the header prevented the use of the Z3 rack. I've been looking for a fast ratio rack with a pinion angle close to the stock e30 rack, for header clearance. Not sure if that exists.

Why is the plate under the pan so close? I'm not familiar with the depth of the s85 pan, so I assume it's for maximum ground clearance. I'd just be worried about contact there, depending on the engine mounts used. My m60 settled probably 1/4" within a few thousand miles on stock m60 mounts, which allowed contact between the rack and oil pan. Didn't take long to do damage after that...
          thanks! Yes it is a bummer that we couldn't use the z3 rack. The difference of the pinion angle is just slightly different from the e30 to e36 racks but just enough that it caused issues for us here.

The s85 is a really tall engine. When I make the mounts the engine will go up just a tad. But the main reason is to give more ground clearance. As the subframe is already coming down lower than stock.

Like this

So there won't be much movement.
          www.classicdaily.net
          1970 m42 swapped 2002

Comment

WOW....I need a ride on this once its done... Not on you Steve settle down...on the car...
            sigpic
            1986 "C2 2.7 Alpina" Sedan
            1987 325ic Black Vert
            1986 327i Red Track Car RIP 10/10/10
            1989 325is Henna S50 track car SOLD

Transaction feedback here please!!
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170548

Comment

Originally posted by jakeb View Post
              thanks! Yes it is a bummer that we couldn't use the z3 rack. The difference of the pinion angle is just slightly different from the e30 to e36 racks but just enough that it caused issues for us here.

The s85 is a really tall engine. When I make the mounts the engine will go up just a tad. But the main reason is to give more ground clearance. As the subframe is already coming down lower than stock.

Like this

So there won't be much movement.

Oh nice, yeah those mounts should keep her in place! Do you have enough room for the steering lines on the rack, since the e30 rack has the ports facing the engine? Parker makes 90* metric to AN fittings that could save some space if needed.

Might want to throw a bit of Loctite on the set screws that hold the u-joint bearing in place on those flaming river joints, I had one back out on me. Not fun to get to with the car fully assembled haha.

Comment

Oh nice, yeah those mounts should keep her in place! Do you have enough room for the steering lines on the rack, since the e30 rack has the ports facing the engine? Parker makes 90* metric to AN fittings that could save some space if needed.

Might want to throw a bit of Loctite on the set screws that hold the u-joint bearing in place on those flaming river joints, I had one back out on me. Not fun to get to with the car fully assembled haha.

Yeah there is actually a good amount of room for lines. By good amount I mean enough room for the lines. They will need to be something custom I am sure but I made sure there was enough room.

Good tip on the lock tight on the flaming river set screws. The one up by the firewall will be VERY hard to get to.
                www.classicdaily.net
                1970 m42 swapped 2002

Comment

This update is from a few weeks ago but just finally getting around to uploading all the pics and posting.

Welding the new subframe up.

Starting on mounts
                  drivers side

These will be fully boxed and also a new set of plates will be drawn and then water jetted. These are the mock ups.

Subframe with mounts welded on

And with both mounts connected. All this will be powder coated

Steering clearance

Adding another joint

And a locator

This is JUST a MOCK up. We needed to have the car movable to take to a show so this locator mount was just tacked on so the car can steer. There will be a stronger more elegant solution once the engine comes back out.

Rebuilt rear axles

A quick shot from the front.

The coilovers are turned all the way down here and there is about 3-3.5" here. Yes it is close but the air boxes are about a 1/4" from the hood.

Here it is at the vintage in NC a couple weeks ago.

Also it is looking VERY good that we will be using the stock DME. nando has been working on cracking it and it's looking like it's gonna happen.
                  www.classicdaily.net
                  1970 m42 swapped 2002

Comment

This update is from a few weeks ago but just finally getting around to uploading all the pics and posting.

Welding the new subframe up.

Great penetration on the weld. I love a good looking weld even if it's not a challenging one. Awesome progress on the build! I can't wait to see this monster done.

Comment

thanks...I will say I am far from great on the tig but getting better and better with more and more practice. And they are plenty strong.

www.classicdaily.net
                      1970 m42 swapped 2002

Comment

loving this!

i have no idea what i am doing with my life

Comment

Thanks for all of the pics and info in your updates. I learn a lot from builds like these that are so well documented. I had no idea you could use multiple u-joints in a steering shaft (I assume that's what the locating bearing is for).

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                            Great penetration
                            world renown Harry Potter expert
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all of the pics and info in your updates. I learn a lot from builds like these that are so well documented. I had no idea you could use multiple u-joints in a steering shaft (I assume that's what the locating bearing is for).
                              Yes the locator is to keep them all in place. The way I learned was from reading lots of build threads so I like to post lots of pictures and explain things as well.
                              www.classicdaily.net
                              1970 m42 swapped 2002

Comment

Also it is looking VERY good that we will be using the stock DME. nando has been working on cracking it and it's looking like it's gonna happen.
                                Crazy how uncluttered that circuit board is compared to our 80's DME's!
                                My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Working...
                                X