ROUND 4! 88 Lachsilber / Cardinal IX coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delivery pics

My bud Chad and I flew out to Newark via Laguardia and Uber this past Saturday (thanks American for the cancelled flight).. Made it back to Chicago that same evening.

Seller was Nunzio, long time friend of Levent's at GPS. Car was serviced there last 7 years. Following pics are mostly his.

Nunzio's sister was the principal driver. bro, mom, sis and her beau all came out for the sale. what a terrific family - they really love this car! hugs all around too :-) You can see the glare in the windshield - lots of pitting. All the window glass is original. Front windshield will probably be swapped out if I can find original glass. Note also the projector headlights - GPS retrofitted them. Most likely will be going bosch euro smiley with mishimoto xenons. Have that setup on our vert and absolutely love it.

Absolutely amazed at how clean the car is, especially the wheels. LF wheel is bent unfortunately but that's an easy replacement.

Detail on the driver fender rust. it's definitely a goner. Damage on pass side too though not as severe. Fenders were also rusted near the front of both wheel wells.

unmolested engine bay. unbelievable smooth and quiet idle!! very pleased about that. rust on the TB brackets is depressing though lol. gonna swap the TB out when I do the 5 speed swap.

Rust spot on the narrow strip above the bumper is surface only thank goodness. front panel is nice and straight. Just needs localized de-rust and an IS lip. Front of hood is pretty much a goner though - back side of front edge is rusted thoroughly, and there are some big rust bubbles on the top front edge as well.

interior showing heated front seats and dash. everything works except the temp gauge which stays low. will try swapping the sender first. leather is just perfect with no cracks - amazing. dash pad is cracked of course. I have a spare. Definitely putting in sport seats and swapping out that butt hole ugly airbag wheel.

Here's the ACS rear apron. If you reach behind the rear apron above the muffler your fingers go right through the lower tail panel lol. Deck lid was swapped out because original owner wanted to keep the ACS rear spoiler. Back edge of replacement lid is a bit bent / rough and color doesn't match rest of car (older AW probably, more of a creamy white). Note the license plate filler - not my favorite to be honest (I like the black ones a lot). Muffler looks ORIGINAL, unfortunately it's toast. I have a new cat back on the lachs IX which will be moving over.

old pic from the GPS garage showing the rear subframe removal. everything in back is refreshed. she rides a bit soft though - the billies may be starting to go. gonna swap the billie HDs and HR sports off the lachs IX since they have less than 2K miles on them.
    Last edited by bradnic; 04-06-2015, 07:01 PM.
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

new OEM bits sittin in the garage waiting. need to order fenders, hood and deck lid. ironically I think these parts are in worse shape on the white car lol. no comparison on the floor pans and rockers though. ugh.

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

ahhh shes beautiful! should've hit me up while u were here. I'm 15mins (right over the bridge) from Newark!
        www.instagram.com/snwmble
        #snwmble

Current:
        '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
        '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
        '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
        '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
        '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
        '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
        '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
        '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Beyond happy this car is in Brad's hands now to be cared for. All weekend my family has been morning the loss and it will be like that for a bit. Happy to follow this thread/build.

Brad let me know, I was cleaning out the garage and found the black filler for the late-model E30. I only have an early model now ;) - as you know!
          Nunzio
          Creative Director & Professor
          Twitter

2010 Vespa GTS300 | 2000 323iT Euro | 1991 RRC Hunter | 1987 325is (guten build) | 1983 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas

Comment

Originally posted by audiquattrot View Post
            ahhh shes beautiful! should've hit me up while u were here. I'm 15mins (right over the bridge) from Newark!
            ha I thought about PMing you but the trip was a real whirlwind.. only had time for a GPS visit and a slice before heading out of town. Pretty sure I'll be back in the next few months though. definitely want to connect in person!

Originally posted by nespo_e30is View Post
            Beyond happy this car is in Brad's hands now to be cared for. All weekend my family has been morning the loss and it will be like that for a bit. Happy to follow this thread/build.
            glad you're following the progress Nunzio! thanks for such an amazing transaction. it was great to meet your family, and I know you'll be happy with the direction I'm taking here.

Originally posted by nespo_e30is View Post
            Brad let me know, I was cleaning out the garage and found the black filler for the late-model E30. I only have an early model now ;) - as you know!
            Def interested in that plate filler yes - and the records binder we talked about.... And don't be stingy with your coupe pics dude. that is one gorgeous car.

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Brad no doubt man! My mom just emailed me all the docs so I will forward over shortly. The plate filler is black OEM unit, but it isn't the euro, its the US-spec version. If you want no problem, pm me address and it will go out this weekend.
              Nunzio
              Creative Director & Professor
              Twitter

2010 Vespa GTS300 | 2000 323iT Euro | 1991 RRC Hunter | 1987 325is (guten build) | 1983 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas

Comment

Just ordered the following new parts (all OEM of course..)

- hood
                - L&R front fenders
                - trunk
                - front windshield (still need to order seal and hardware for it)
                - sunroof gasket
                - IS lip

Black sport seats are here. I have a replacement for the driver's top bolster but not the bottom which has tape on it.

Spent the morning going over the entire underbody. Will post pics shortly. I have a lot of work to do, but fortunately I have an excellent parts car.
                Last edited by bradnic; 04-30-2015, 09:03 AM.

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Had to reorder everything via local dealer as shipping via my usual online oem bmw sources was too expensive. Everything's arrived - now to get it back to the garage and get the white car off the road so I can start the rust repair.

My sons absolutely love the car so that's gonna be a challenge. The lachs IX is getting no love at all anymore LOL.

I have 150+ pics detailing the current condition of the car. Just need to make the time to post them up.

Car's gonna be COMPLETELY rust free soon :-)

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

some of the new parts

took 2 cars, hatches full, hood on the roof

I have a completely rust free IX deck lid from Levent which I'm gonna move to this car.

one of the new fenders - no holes for the IX flares

new front windhsield - pilkington glass

HOWTOs:
                    DB vert plastic bumpers
                    OEM Keys
                    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                    91 ic Calypso 3.1
                    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

rear diff is leaking. pretty sure it was replaced, but clearly needs seals

some rear suspension pics. new soft lines back there

some rust near brake/fuel line fitting. been that way a while

front lines def need work.

some weld repair on the rear frame rail

rust spot on one of the rear spring perches

clean right rear wheel arch. everything's in place

that's definitely the original muffler. already ground the rust off and resealed. pretty sure I can save it.

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Ahh it looks all like superficial rust. I have similar spots surfacing the worst being that same area on the pass strut tower base, below the ac lines. Mine is starting to rot there, and the edges of the front wheel well like urs. How are the edges of the doors? I can see mine starting to rust ever so slightly. Have POR-15 on tap and will treat those areas sometime over the summer
                        www.instagram.com/snwmble
                        #snwmble

Current:
                        '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                        '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                        '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                        '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                        '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                        '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                        '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                        '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

The doors are in great shape actually. That seal bead that runs alone the inside door edge is healthy, not bubbled up from rust underneath like the hood. Door bottoms are clean too.

Funny thing is other than floor pan and doors the lachs car is in similar condition.. Hood and trunk lid are in better shape than the white car actually. Worse is it looks damn good at twilight . Must... Resist..

I can probably use that as an argument to get the white car off the road lol. Both my boys drive it constantly

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Back to Lachsilber - AW going up for sale

Found a 101k mile Lachs / Cardinal IX coupe. Too perfect a car to pass up.

Details to follow

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Noo those pics not working in google chrome
                              https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
                              https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

which ones Sade? I'm using chrome and pics are fine

HOWTOs:
                                DB vert plastic bumpers
                                OEM Keys
                                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Working...
                                X