Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My euro 320i/B6 3.5 Alpina Tribute ( Now with turbo power)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.5 cans of brake cleaner later and my steering rack looks spotless

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

These are sweet!

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Originally posted by DIIRTY-30 View Post

These are sweet!

Thanks.

Just put first coat of paint on valve cover. Will give it one more coat and let it dry over night and then go back over it with a brush and highlight the bmw logo and lines with black. I will do same on intake. This is a ceramic paint so it should darken once it goes through first heat cycles. Color is supposed to be burnt copper

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Finished valve cover. Got kinda messy with the black paint. Owell im not an artist and it works and doesnt look that bad

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
            Finished valve cover. Got kinda messy with the black paint. Owell im not an artist and it works and doesnt look that bad

Smooth!

Sent from my payphone using Tapatalk
            1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
            1998 e36 328ic/5 -
            Roundie alpina pig cheek’d (1969)
            1967 2002 parts car
            1994 318iS junked.

Comment

I like the copper! Too bad about the black lines though. FYI for next time, paint it all black, then mask off the lines, then paint with copper. Remove mask = perfect black lines.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                I like the copper! Too bad about the black lines though. FYI for next time, paint it all black, then mask off the lines, then paint with copper. Remove mask = perfect black lines.

Fuck... Why didnt i think of that... And tbh when i put the cover to the angle the motor sits in the bay. The black lines don't look as bad. When i do intake i will be doing it all black then copper. Will probably need a primer though cause this copper is weird its like a powder coat but in form of a spray paint.

Spent the day cleaning my bay

It was caked with oil and ps fluid on both sides now its pretty much spotless. I also tried to remove my old steering rack what a fucking joke... Its stuck to the steering knuckle and nothing ive done with separate them and yes the bolts are out. I actually broke my steering rack...

Buddy is gonna be here in a bit to see if he can finagle it out. He don't believe me its this stuck so i told him to give it a shot haha

Steering rack is out. My buddy turned into a believer we ended up having to undo it at the flex disc I'm gonna have to find a way to pry the bottom half off the rack.
                Last edited by ThatOneEuroE30; 04-26-2016, 06:16 PM.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Progress.

Engine bay has been cleaned and painted and 95 m3 rack has been installed.

Chose flat black. Its chemical, oil, gas resistant and can hold temps to 2000 degrees. So it should hold up in the bay. My head will be here Thursday. I will finish motor assembly and get ready for the heart transplant.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Drive a wedge or cheap screw driver in the slot that the bolt holds tight, on the steering rack. It's not coming loose because the metal didn't deform. So you just need to open it up a bit.
                    AWD > RWD

Comment

The engine bay turned out great, what did you paint it with?
                      How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                        Drive a wedge or cheap screw driver in the slot that the bolt holds tight, on the steering rack. It's not coming loose because the metal didn't deform. So you just need to open it up a bit.
                        I got it off. It appears someone pulled the rack and didn't put the intermediate shaft on all the way tightened it up drove car and pushed it rest way on when the hit a bump or something. splines on the rack work destroyed.

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                        The engine bay turned out great, what did you paint it with?
                        this stuff

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Ugh, you are going to rant and rave about how great the steering is and then I will once again need to reconsider this part of my build... should I, or shouldn't I?

Just not looking to spend $450 on a rebuilt rack and.. need to remind myself it is a build trying to keep true to the things available then.

Things are looking good. Is that the final state of the engine bay? Good looking body work and freshly painted kit.. and then the engine bay will be matte and not as sexy?
                          ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                            Ugh, you are going to rant and rave about how great the steering is and then I will once again need to reconsider this part of my build... should I, or shouldn't I?

Just not looking to spend $450 on a rebuilt rack and.. need to remind myself it is a build trying to keep true to the things available then.

Things are looking good. Is that the final state of the engine bay? Good looking body work and freshly painted kit.. and then the engine bay will be matte and not as sexy?

Hahaha you can alway look for a good used one. People sell them all the time for around 1-200. Yes that is final stage of the bay I wanted to keep it simple. Trying to offset the rest of the car. It looks a lot better in person imo.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Eek, I noticed now no ABS. Why so?

And it looks aight. Just wondering what the plans were. I think you will be on the road before I. Need to finish up my laundry list for the dealer to order up.. and then get to work! Driveline is in though.. I got that on you.

Which motor mount bushing did you use? Have a metallic look from the one photo..
                              ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                                Eek, I noticed now no ABS. Why so?

And it looks aight. Just wondering what the plans were. I think you will be on the road before I. Need to finish up my laundry list for the dealer to order up.. and then get to work! Driveline is in though.. I got that on you.

Which motor mount bushing did you use? Have a metallic look from the one photo..
                                This car is 84 euro 320i the only options it ever came with was power steering. Over in Europe these cars were like our ford focus we buy them base model super cheap just to go to a from.

Once I get motor in i feel it will come together. I have a vision It hasn't failed me so far lmao. I used rev shift motor mounts could just be angle or lighting also pics were taken with a potato...

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Working...
                                X