Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done sir, this is making me want an s54

Comment

did you ever situate your fuel filter and FPR?

Let's get some pics of the engine bay, headers and clearance, radiator and oil cooler! What exhaust are you going to run from the headers back?

Comment

Originally posted by gills View Post
        did you ever situate your fuel filter and FPR?

Let's get some pics of the engine bay, headers and clearance, radiator and oil cooler! What exhaust are you going to run from the headers back?
        Not yet, stupid fuel filter is huge! Probably going to put it somewhere under the brake master on the frame rail, with enough room to run the return to the stock e30 hard line

I've done some little things lately, worked on the adapter harness, made some stainless brackets for oil cooler and coolant resevoir (using stock tank, mounted on the battery tray thing), and started installing engine harness. I also got my AFE intake, which is going to fit nicely. Honestly I haven't worked on the car much, big project finishing up at work, vacation, and slightly angry girl have kept me from it.

This weekend I'm planning on getting a lot done, I'll get some pics and progress up for sure. Going to mount the headers for good tonight, I'm going to run 3.5" single all the way back, getting a Vibrant Y-pipe that I'll mount somewhere near the center of the car and probably just running one spintech muffler for now. Might be loud :)
        - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

I'll have an update for you this afternoon I hope :)
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            I'll have an update for you this afternoon I hope :)
            Awesome, Can't wait!

I got a little bit done today. Mounted the headers for good, they fit really nicely and installation was really easy. Used all new hardware and gaskets, these headers allow you to use stock length studs also, which makes installation a lot easier. Took a few pics to show header clearance

Pic of the ear on the bellhousing I ground off
            bellhousing by jbraswell, on Flickr

header by jbraswell, on Flickr

photo4 by jbraswell, on Flickr

photo5 by jbraswell, on Flickr

Oil Cooler Mounting
            oil cooler by jbraswell, on Flickr

And finished up this little guy to support my coolant resevoir, using the stock snap-in clip thing, which is bolted to the top of this bracket. This will mount to the battery tray
            photo7 by jbraswell, on Flickr

I also decided I'm going to use the stock fuel filter. There just isn't a good place to put the e46 filter, it's too big, especially with the FPR attached. I have a wideband, so if I'm struggling for fuel pressure, I'll know about it. 5 bar really isn't THAT much, we run the same amount of pressure on miata race cars with stock fuel systems, so I don't see it being an issue.
            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
              Not yet, stupid fuel filter is huge! Probably going to put it somewhere under the brake master on the frame rail, with enough room to run the return to the stock e30 hard line

I've done some little things lately, worked on the adapter harness, made some stainless brackets for oil cooler and coolant resevoir (using stock tank, mounted on the battery tray thing), and started installing engine harness. I also got my AFE intake, which is going to fit nicely. Honestly I haven't worked on the car much, big project finishing up at work, vacation, and slightly angry girl have kept me from it.

This weekend I'm planning on getting a lot done, I'll get some pics and progress up for sure. Going to mount the headers for good tonight, I'm going to run 3.5" single all the way back, getting a Vibrant Y-pipe that I'll mount somewhere near the center of the car and probably just running one spintech muffler for now. Might be loud :)
              HAHA guarantee it will be loud, i have a vibrant 2.5" y-pipe, resonator and muffler and its LOUD! but sweet.. Your project seems to move at the same pace as mine looks like in 6 months we might have to have a marietta e30 meet up

Comment

Originally posted by Rdreas View Post
                HAHA guarantee it will be loud, i have a vibrant 2.5" y-pipe, resonator and muffler and its LOUD! but sweet.. Your project seems to move at the same pace as mine looks like in 6 months we might have to have a marietta e30 meet up
                Ha I tend to do to much planning and not enough doing. I'll have the car done before the weekend of May 17 I think, taking it to SoWo for the weekend, mostly just to drive it in the mountains. I really only have a day or two of work left once I get everything here.

Just ordered my oil lines from Summit, got all Aeroquip startlite lines and fittings. AN -10 for the oil cooler and -6 for the valve cover oil return. For people that are using the Arc Asylum stuff, the stock hard line is too long to fit the new port in the modded pan.
                - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

I haven't had any fuel starvation issues with my walbro 255 and stock fuel filter. I have a wideband on as well from my turbo days.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=162444

Comment

Looking real good!

Just curious, how much are you spending on your exhaust setup in total you think? PM me if you prefer that.
                    Last edited by gills; 04-14-2014, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Yeah, didn't feel like messing with it. I've driven the car without power steering before a couple times and it's not bad at all, passes the girlfriend test even. I usually keep the camber around 3.5 or so in the front and I think that helps.
                      Oddly enough, my car with the e36 rack and no p/s is easier to steer than my girlfriends crx which came from the factory without it.

Comment

Originally posted by ahriley91 View Post
                        I haven't had any fuel starvation issues with my walbro 255 and stock fuel filter. I have a wideband on as well from my turbo days.
                        Cool, thats good to hear

Looking real good!

Just curious, how much are you spending on your exhaust setup in total you think? PM me if you prefer that.
                        Thanks!

For the exhaust, I don't plan on spending much:

Vibrant y-pipe- $100
                        short pieces/bends of 2.5"- $40
                        3.5" 10 ft x $5.40/ft- $54
                        Spintech 3.5" muffler- $95
                        3.5" bends- $15/ea
                        I might put a bullet style resonator in there too, so add $100 or so for that

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
                        Oddly enough, my car with the e36 rack and no p/s is easier to steer than my girlfriends crx which came from the factory without it.
                        That's funny you say that, my girlfriend had a 1st gen CRX Si (no p/s of course) when I first met her. The no power steering doesn't bother her but she can't shift my car with the AKG shifter, like at all. It's pretty funny to watch
                        - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Cool, thats good to hear

Thanks!

For the exhaust, I don't plan on spending much:

Vibrant y-pipe- $100
                          short pieces/bends of 2.5"- $40
                          3.5" 10 ft x $5.40/ft- $54
                          Spintech 3.5" muffler- $95
                          3.5" bends- $15/ea
                          I might put a bullet style resonator in there too, so add $100 or so for that

That's funny you say that, my girlfriend had a 1st gen CRX Si (no p/s of course) when I first met her. The no power steering doesn't bother her but she can't shift my car with the AKG shifter, like at all. It's pretty funny to watch
                          And how much did you spend on those headers again?

Comment

And how much did you spend on those headers again?
                            They were $700 through the group buy. I think they are $800 normally
                            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Engine bay 2 by jbraswell, on Flickr

Oil lines by jbraswell, on Flickr

Coolant res mostly mounted, e30 m3 wire covers installed, pass side brake line bent and installed, and oil cooler lines assembled and installed. Love the Aeroquip lines and fittings I got, really nice stuff! I got Summit lines and fittings for the return line on the other side of the motor and the difference in quality is noticeable.
                              - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Six throttle bodies in a row, in an e30 is a truly beautiful thing.
                                -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                                08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                                318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                                '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                                Originally posted by roguetoaster
                                Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Working...
                                X