Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turbo Inka 4 Door: Stripped & street legal rotisserie build + Powdercoating Pr0n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
    Definitely Celeste Green, because racecar.
    I know rite?!

Classic & Vintage - Celeste Green and the story behind it! - Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knew the story behind the Bianchi Celeste color. I've ridden a Bianchi Brava for the past 4 years and i've heard numerous stories/fables/myths about the color being the shade of the milan sky, the former queen's eye
    Turbo M50 4 Door Build thread here 4 Sale thread

Comment

Very cool build. Loving all the DIY redneck tools and stuff and seeing the awesome results from the blasting and coating. So jealous. Now you make me hate rattle cans.

Stoked to see some serious progress on the car!

sub'ed
      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
      Shadetree30

Comment

Alrighty then. Small update. My stuff, has become my brother's stuff. He decided to leave the P-Car world and sold his '87 Guards Red, 5-speed 911, to enter the cheap world of FI e30 speed. We picked him up an '87 325is with awful rod knock. He is the stoke.

Stroke

Nom

Anyway, he needs to start a build thread. He's completely new to the e30 world so he just dumps money in my account and I spend it. It's a great relationship except everything goes to him...wait...His plans are FI M50tub25 and he's already amassed an Otis Manifold, 98k mile m50, 330i 6-speed trans, PT6262, tial bov, turbosmart 45mm wg, Garagistic reinforcement set, Condor bushings, adjustable rear suspension tabs, and 525/700 GC coils with SA Konis. Should be a great start.

Meanwhile, as a wedding gift I wanted to hook him up with all the subframe goodies. He's going to buy my GCs from me for now so we're going to knock those out this weekend as well. He's headed down from Idaho today to pick up his car and trailer it home, and I'm taking off work Friday to have an e30 bromance all weekend long.

I got the last weld done on his front subframe. Not amazing, but I'm getting a bit better.
        Untitled by Brad Buccambuso, on Flickr

I work at a technical college creating curriculum and welding is in my portfolio, and I'm enrolled a a student...which means I have access to everything Lincoln makes and the new Stronghand table:

The table wasn't even level so I wanted to figure out how to make the diff mount square with the table. I build up to about the level of the upper diff mounting holes with a horizontal reference plane, then laid a straight edge across from the subframe to see if they were parallel:

Then, to keep the adjustable tabs in plane with the table (toe) or perpendicular to it (toe), I used another fixture to hold against the tabs while the eccentric e39 bolts kept the tabs in the right spot.

Finally, after cleaning up the tabs, I put on a clamp or two and did a quick fusion weld with the TIG. My bro has never really welded before so we're going to hang out at my "work" tomorrow and have him do some practice before welding up his own subframe.

Then home to the blasting cabinet to do a final clean, epoxy powder prime and put on the celeste green powder he picked out. Shiny!

More pics as we go...

Also a sneak peak at the 1/2" stainless flange I'm drawing up for a future piece crucial to make the engine a bit more pressurized. I'm going to do a final check on the exhaust port radii on the actual head before I finish up the drawing. I don't like drawing in Torchmate CAD because I'm a friggin noob and will probably finish it up in Illustrator before sending it into the Torchmate app.

Comment

Well, long time no update. Hard to get motivated sometimes with so many projects going on.

In the name of learning and science, my new-to-e30s brother came by for a post-holiday visit to pickup some shiny things I've been working on for him...

Working on a little bit of a business plan, making a web page, etc to fund the build and a fully adjustable voltage coating gun. Need to set up a fold out powder booth with filters and fans next to catch the overspray. I'm on pretty limited space so everything happens in an enclosed car port.

in addition to getting his help throwing the subframe, block, head, and turbo bits in my shell to do some exhaust fitup for him, out the hood, and for me (Idaho emissions, what emissions???), out the back of the car (Utah emissions).

After fiddling with the Condor mounts for a minute, we threw the head on with a couple of studs, the Good 'n Tight manifold and the PT6262. Not sure if the centered studs are supposed to be up top and the off-center studs on bottom into the subframe, but that seemed right to move the block around in the bay by twisting them before snugging them up. There isn't much room on a stock subframe let alone a boxed in, reinforced one to get a wrench in there so I'm going to try flipping them.

So nice to have another enthusiast around to help and get stooooked. OMG we need to get on Insta...

In other, unrelated Datsun news, been playing with CAD to plasma cut flanges with hops of turboing the stock engine after converting to EFI, which I got right on the second try.

Only to pickup a KA24E (singe cam, ew!) with tons of machine shop work done to it out of a '90 240sx, with trans, stage 3 clutch, harness, and ecu for dirt. Going to work on a CanAm box, external HPFP, and swapping out the tired old L18 with 90 or so HP for the fresh KA and scare myself on the drum brakes again a bit.

Comment

Anymore updates??

Mr. Wolfe
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X