Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turbo Inka 4 Door: Stripped & street legal rotisserie build + Powdercoating Pr0n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set up the blasting tent tonight. I opened the garage door enough to fit a box fan underneath and I didn't have any dust inside the tent whatsoever.

Always wear protection kiddos

Started blasting. Probably got through 15-20lbs of coal slag (80 grit) before getting one side of the front cross member done. Compressor kept up a little worse than I thougt @ 7.5cfm @ 90psi. I'm using the biggest nozzle though.
    Before

After

Vacuumed all that stuff up and it's ready to go again tonight.
    Turbo M50 4 Door Build thread here 4 Sale thread

Comment

Wow, love this build, can't wait to see more!!!!
      My Garage
      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
        Wow, love this build, can't wait to see more!!!!
        Thanks. There will be more!

Comment

Right before the family packed up and went to St. George, UT for some sweet mtn biking, I finished blasting Mitchlikesbikes' subframe. He's got a press, I've got a blasting & coating setup now. Was a lil B to figure out the blasting but after hooking up dos compressors (BILs (brothers in law) are awesome for the extra compressor and 3-to-1 coupler & fittings!) the pressure came back up super fast. Blasted between 50 & 90 psi with 80 grit silica blasting media.

After blasting I had to touch up some areas with a DA sander and dremel because of all the little details and shapes on these things. You can see where the metal looks different from this.

Test piece from the M50 that was super dirty. Degreased, wire wheeled, & outgassed at 500 for 45 minutes. Wish I would have blasted this with walnut but blasting is a srs PITA.

After blasting I wiped it down with wax & grease remover, did a once over with a dry towel, preheated to 400 for a while then when it came back down to 100 I hung it outside and coated it. Carrying a 40#ish subframe 30 feet to the oven and hanging it in there was pretty frightening. Came out fantastic. After I get my reinforcements welded in I'm stoked to do a ton of my parts.

Comment

Just read through your entire build so far. Impressive work. The rotisserie looks awesome, and I'm super jealous of the "fridge". I'm excited to watch this car come together.

90 M3 brilliantrot/schwarz
            90 M5 brilliantrot/schwarz
            87 325 alpinweiss/houndstooth (building)
            90 735i/5 islandgrün-metallic/schwarz (daily)
            87 Foxbody Notch 5.0 5spd SSP (other daily)
            71 F-250 4x4 390 4spd

Comment

Goodies in the mail Euro cluster with vacuum/boost gauge. Not sure what's up with the "fully electronic vehicle" blank on the fuel level gauge.

Tried to coat an oil pan for my brother in law's '56 Fairlane, 1st coat was a little thin, heat was a bit too hot. Green scrubbied down and tried to paint again but it was really humid and just when the dew comes out or something, the powder was acting crazy with little moisture dots. I thought it was from preheating then going out in 35 degree weather but I tried shooting powder several times and it was weird moisture/static. I'll have to try again today after work when it's warmer & dryer.

Wife is getting into it. She wants these done and said she's headed to the thrift store to find some cool old stuff to coat. Whatever.

Comment

I'm jealous of the 'fridge' as well. I'm getting a shop down here in Provo soon (I've over stayed my welcome with my 'garage' being an extra bedroom in the house, plus the wife wants to turn it into a nursery) and hope to make one as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sweet man. Going to rent a space? Have you looked into the S5X ITB adapter at all? I found a guy locally with CNC table and an engineer in my neighborhood that's interested...buy you are both of those amirite?! Some duder on Bimmerforums (Not RobertK?) advertised a run of them he did a while back. I emailed him and he said they're still in the works.

Comment

I am both of those. Just got a 3D printer as well (work bonus) that I was planning on using for prototyping some m20 ITBs. I could use them for s5X stuff as well.

Comment

^3D Printers are the shit!!!! I love mine
                      My Garage
                      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

They are, I've had it for a few months but school has kept me from doing as much as I'd like with it... Had a lot of with it over the holiday break

Comment

Not too much in the way of updates. I don't have a ton of time but I'm giddy when I get out in the garage. My wife loves how much info I feel the need to share with her about the smallest of details...I can see it in her eyes...that look is fascination and wonder right honey? Right? Honey? Oh, your show, yes, carry on.

Got these trailing arms done for Mitchlikesbikes. He's tearing mine down with his press at the moment so I get to do this again myself.

Blasting has gotten a lot easier now. The first arm took maybe 90 minutes, the second, about 30 without ever dipping below 75psi on the media hopper.

After blasting, I ran alcohol through a Harbor Freight siphon-feed gun at high pressure. Then I baked them for 30 minutes or so. Bit of flash rust after they got out of the oven..wonder if that was from the rainy day's humidity or the alcohol having some water vapor in it. Wire-wheeled that off, alcohol again, masked, and shot powder.

The first arm came out awful, I think because I had it hanging from some saw horses so low off the ground I couldn't see well. I could have sworn I double checked every inch of this. DAMN YOU FARADAY! (<--1337 science joke, but srsly, Faraday Cages suck on trailing arms).

Went to the hardware store and bought some 20c/ft wire, and some crimps and hooks and rotating clip that makes it easy to move the piece around while coating. This should fix that! Scuffed up the problem area, cleaned, and shot a second coat on some areas after re-masking and it faded in beautifully after coating while the arm was at 180-220 degrees. Came out of the oven clean!

Used a wet q tip to remove the powder from the inner stop of the area.

2nd TA came out beautiful

Now to drop these off and do all of my suspension. Blasting party this Saturday. Whose coming?! *Crickets*
                          Last edited by eduTechnic; 01-14-2015, 11:15 AM.

Comment

When I do the 24V swap, want to powder coat my front subframe? :) :)

Comment

Oh yeah bring it up and I'll let my kids do it. No cost. Special, for you.

Comment

I'll pay you as long as the kids aren't involved haha

Comment

Working...
                                X