finishing Gary's '72 Tii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finishing Gary's '72 Tii

A little backround on the project before we begin...

My girlfriend's dad Gary had a 72 Tii he had been restoring for about 10 years. Gary, a longtime resident of the Roaring Fork Valley Colorado was an accomplished woodworker and cabinet maker so every aspect of the restoration was done by himself, at home, in his garage. Gary was the kind of man that would pour himself into a project even if that meant teaching himself how to paint a car, mix the thinner ratio wrong and spend months sanding it all off by hand to redo it to perfection. A true craftsman, a tinkerer and a master of anything mechanical. A man's man.

Rarely in life do things go as planned. Gary was taken from us in January of 2013, he left behind his wife Victoria and his daughter, my girlfriend of nearly 4 years now, Ana. He also left his Chamonix 1972 2002 Tii, nearly completed for Ana to finish. Its been 1 1/2 years since his passing and we have been slowly hatching a plan to drive to Colorado, pick up the Tii, take it to O'Fest in nearby (coincidentally) Beaver Creek in his honor and bring it back to our little shop in Winchester VA.

The man and his car:

Me and Gary:

We have compiled these photos from what we could find on Gary's computer, pictures we have taken of the car and other random images we gathered along the way.

Getrag 245

This is one of his last projects before he passed, a custom center console that he planned on selling copies of.

This is how the car currently sits:

SOME Q&A:

So whats the plan you say?? Well... things never go as planned.

Q: But why not just have the car picked up in Colorado by some transportation company, wait a week or so and meet them at the shop in Winchester? Too easy. Here's why this won't work:

A:

1. The car isn't assembled, it doesn't have doors on it. Or a hood. Or the truck lid.

2. We would still need to fly out and assemble the car before someone could pick it up.

3. Transportation companies always screw a car up, if anyone is going to damage the car during transportation its gonna be me!

Q: But wouldn't you need a truck and trailer if you wanted to do it yourself?

A: I bought a 1992 F350 crew cab and small open deck car trailer a few months back. 444 CI of International excellence. 5 speed manual. No cruise control. A real truck, 7000 lb curb weight. 12 MPG. Impractical? Yes.

Here is the truck with my brothers E30 in tow:

Q: If its not assembled and driveable how is it going to O Fest?

A: Not sure, we are winging this pretty hardcore. We are going to try to get most of it assembled before the trip back anyway to at least make it weatherproof. There is a show and shine in Eagle we would like to drive it to but that depends on how much we get put back together.

So thats about it. Stay tuned for more pictures from the road and if you are headed to O Fest look for the huge Ford pickup with a very special Tii on the trailer. Honk wildly if you see us!!
    Last edited by dirty30; 09-18-2015, 11:22 AM.

We delivered the car to the body shop today and had some time to talk about what it will take to match the paint, fix some small scratches, hang and align the doors etc. It's going to be a big job but our friend that is doing the work is the only person we would trust with the car. Stay tuned!

Last edited by dirty30; 01-18-2015, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Very excited to follow this, and to see this awesome car here on the east coast. Sorry to hear about the death of a close family member. Surely one of the best ways to honor that memory is to see this project completed and enjoyed by those he loved.
      sigpic

4 doors.. so much room for activities!

IG @bluebombr

Transaction Feedback:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=323622

Comment

Subscribed

Comment

I need to know how this turns out. :D
          sigpic

Comment

my favorite build threads on this forum are 2002's
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

best of luck to you
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

He sure did flex his woodworking muscles on that center console.
                I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
                Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

Sub'd.

Follow you two on IG. Keep up the great work!
                  clutchCTRL!
                  Move with a purpose.
                  - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                  - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                  - 2000 323i AT
                  2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by 2man View Post
                    best of luck to you

Comment

At the three week mark and I am ahead of schedule with the preparations to the truck. Replaced everything in the front end, mounted 6 new tires and got it aligned. Still have to change the diff fluid, replace the rear brakes and fix an exhaust hanger. The truck has been quite a project in itself!
                      Last edited by dirty30; 05-22-2014, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Wow. Can't wait to see this progress. I'll wave as you pass through Kansas City.

Comment

Originally posted by kid325e View Post
                          Sub'd.

Follow you two on IG. Keep up the great work!
                          Thank you!

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          best of luck to you
                          Thanks!

Originally posted by JCarp90 View Post
                          Wow. Can't wait to see this progress. I'll wave as you pass through Kansas City.
                          If I see someone from R3V on the road Ill be ecstatic! Thanks!

Comment

Truck is ready to go, picked up a cheap camper top to keep everything protected on the drive there/ back. Had six new tires mounted, replaced all the front end components, alignment and my last project is my onboard air. My tank and pump have been mounted but I wanted to get a new pressure line from the pump to the tank made. I will install it later this week and post pictures.

Comment

Subscribed

Comment

Working...
                              X