Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boosty 30... track day, fun car (Now with a new owner)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm waiting on the right size bushing for my front sway bar from IE. They sent me the 22mm not the 25mm. Oh well, they are shipping new ones up for free :) In the mean time I started my face lift on the car. Got the front bumper on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	New bumper.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	7172137

Eventually I'll paint the bumper to match the car or black to match the trim. Haven't decided. Also, I've been painting things ;D Figured while they were off, I painted the metal rings around my headlights. Thoughts?

Name:	Orange rings.jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	7172136

And to match the new spoiler and ring color, I took off my front lip and painted it orange too. Also I picked up a RyanG splitter. Super fast shipping and quality product.

Name:	Attaching splitter.jpg
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	7172134

I like the look of the splitters when they aren't the same color as the IS lip. I also got a free german plate with my euro headlight trim. Everything back together.

Name:	Front of car.jpg
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	7172135

Hopefully the bushings come tomorrow so I can get her rolling again and see how stiff everything is. Then it'll be time to put in the new diff.
    sigpic
    Project: 87' 325iS... 325iS
    88 Alpine 325i
    1/2 88 325iX

Comment

Well, still no bushings from IE. Really would like to get the front strut bar in. I got it in the car before I new I had the wrong size bushings. So it's just floating in the car waiting. Oh well.

Name:	Condor Bushings.jpg
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	7172153

I've had some Condor bushings so I put in the motor mounts. I want to see the difference with just the motor mounts and then put in the tranny mounts.

Name:	Bushings in car.jpg
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	7172154

Got them in. Getting the old bushings out was kind of a pain. When raising the engine it would start lifting the car off the stands before it would get high enough. Getting in the Condor ones was super easy. One bolt from the top. Shweet!! And While I was working on that I decided to paint my mirrors orange. Because why not.

Name:	Painting mirrors.jpg
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	7172155

Haven't gotten a picture of them on the car because it is just sitting in the garage on stands. But hopefully I'll get it on the ground tomorrow.
      sigpic
      88 Alpine 325i
      1/2 88 325iX

Comment

Also, since the new front bumper was blue and didn't match the car, I took it off and started painting it. I'm starting by painting black to match the grills and splitter. Way cheaper than taking it to get painted to match the white.

Name:	Bumper taped.jpg
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	7172156

Taped up. Figured I would tape the trim so there might be a little contrast between it and the bumper after I paint it black.

Name:	Bumper sanded.jpg
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	7172157

Got it sanded. Since I'm just spray painting it, I didn't have to sand it too much.

But then it got dark and cold so I only got a quick layer of paint on it. More to come tomorrow.
        sigpic
        88 Alpine 325i
        1/2 88 325iX

Comment

Looks great! Coming along very nicely bro! already looks a ton better since the day you bought it so i know its only going to get better! Keep up the good work:D

Comment

So I have a confession. I'm definitely a noob when it comes to e30s. So I went to change my timing belt. Drained the coolant, took out the ignition stuff, and got the top cover off. Then I went to turn the engine to get it to TDC. I could get it to turn 90 degrees or so then nothing. Took the spark plugs out, but no change. Got really confused and I couldn't find anything on the internet about what to do. But the belt wasn't bad, I was just replacing it so I have peace of mind. So I put everything back together. Talked to my buddy who works on 2002s and e30s and the first thing he said was "I don't want to make you feel bad, but was it out of gear?" :hitler: :hitler: :hitler: "Son of a bitch!" How could I not think of that? God I was pissed. :down: Oh well, I'll never make that mistake again.

As for the actual update. The power was out at my house all day. Which made it a lot more difficult to work on stuff when all you have is candle light, a flash light and the light coming in the windows. (It was like 40 degrees today so I didn't want to open the garage.) But my garage is small enough that I've learned that if I light a candle and let it sit in there for 30 mins before I head down, it warms the room enough to work in jeans and a tee shirt :D and some photos for show:

Heres my garage with the light from windows and tiny candle for warmth

Name:	Natural Light Garage.jpg
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	7172187

And here is my reading/work station (by candle light)

Name:	Candle Light.jpg
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	7172188

And with the flash on so you can actually see what it looks like.

Name:	Candle light book.jpg
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	7172189

But I got my bushings in so it should be rolling tomorrow!!!
            sigpic
            88 Alpine 325i
            1/2 88 325iX

Comment

Quick Update

My bushings came!! Aww yeah

Name:	IE Front Bushings.jpg
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	7172194

So I finished installing my front sway bar. Which it hits my RaceSkids front brace when the car is on the ground. :down: So I'll have to add a couple spacers and move the brace down slightly. But either way I was getting it back on its wheels so I can drive it!! I've been waiting long enough.

I forgot to mention that while I was working on my failed attempt at the timing belt, I finished painting my front bumper. I looks great, but I think I need to sand and paint the bumper trim so it matches the bumper.

Quick pic of the bumper on the car.

Name:	Black bumper.jpg
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	7172190

Then I needed to drive the car. 1) to bleed to cooling system. and 2) because I want to feel the difference with the new sway bars and strut braces. So I took a drive out to West Seattle and got some quick pictures at the boat launch looking back at Seattle. Didn't have too much time since I had to go meet my buddy. (The one who informed me of my dumb@ss mistake with the timing belt).

Name:	E30 Alki.jpg
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	7172191

Name:	E30 Alki Close.jpg
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	7172192

Name:	E30 Alki 2.jpg
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	7172193

Lighting wasn't the best since the sun was going down. But I didn't care, I just was happy to be out driving :D
              Last edited by dugly52; 11-14-2014, 12:07 AM.
              sigpic
              88 Alpine 325i
              1/2 88 325iX

Comment

I never posted pictures of the strut bars that I installed on the car. I have a sparco front strut bar and IE rear bar.

Front bar

Name:	Front strut bar.jpg
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	7172195

I had to unhook cruise control to fit it in. But it didn't work anyway, and I would never use it. If I go on long continuous drive I take the Audi. I haven't fully taken it out yet, but its not in the way, so it just sits there.

Rear bar

Name:	Rear strut bar.jpg
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	7172196

I couldn't fit the bar and the reinforcement plates I have, so if anyone wants some, PM me. I'll sell them cheap. And they only have like 50 miles on them. So basically brand new :D

But since I drive an E30, this is how my trunk usually looks.

Name:	Rear toolbox.jpg
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	7172197

Always have a tool box strapped in with the tube of zip ties behind it. And you can't see it but I have a breaker bar and extra oil and power steering fluid in the compartment on the driver's side. You just never know when something is going to happen or you might need to help someone out. I'm also thinking about throwing my used v-belt in. Just in case.
                sigpic
                88 Alpine 325i
                1/2 88 325iX

Comment

Photos

More Pictures!! Had a nice sunset looking at Seattle, so I messed around with some photos. Sorry for cell phone shittiness.

Name:	Car front.jpg
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	7172211

Name:	Closer front.jpg
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	7172212

Washed my car but didn't finish drying it. Thought it would dry driving around but needed pictures while the sunset was good.

Name:	Bumper sun.jpg
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	7172210

Name:	Splitter sun.jpg
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	7172213
                  sigpic
                  88 Alpine 325i
                  1/2 88 325iX

Comment

New LSD Rear Diff

Today I got around to installing the 3.73 LSD I picked up a couple weeks ago. The PO of my car had switch out the diff for a 2.93 open. I'm guessing he wanted the LSD that comes with an iS for his car. The joys of buying old cars. I also installed a new Condor Speed Shop bushing I had.

Here's the diff:

Name:	3.73 diff.jpg
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	7172220

Name:	Diff tag.jpg
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	7172221

Installing a different diff is pretty straight forward. Undo the axle bolts, undo the drive shaft bolts, and undo the bolds holding it to the car. So I didn't take many pictures while I was installing

Putting the new diff in:

Name:	Installing diff.jpg
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	7172222

And to give credit to the great products made by other R3v members, here's the Condor bushing.

Name:	CondorSS Diff.jpg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	7172223

It wasn't quite as big of a difference as I thought it would be, but it makes the car much more rev happy. And now the car actually wants to go into 5th gear when cruising on the freeway.

Also, I ordered the rest of my parts so I can finish up my face lift. Bought the front bumper brackets off Pelican. And picked up late model fog lights, front and rear bumper shocks, and rear bumper brackets from E30partsguy. Once those arrive I get to figure out when I want to tackle cutting and fitting the new bumpers. And I bought a sticker :D Pretty excited for it to get here
                    Last edited by dugly52; 11-18-2014, 07:07 PM.
                    sigpic
                    88 Alpine 325i
                    1/2 88 325iX

Comment

Teaser...

Bored for a moment so I thought I post up a teaser. But mostly I've been out and driving the car and taking advantage of the nice weather until it gets shitty. But here is a teaser of the project I'm working on around the other stuff. Seen pictures of a couple cars with them, and I love them so I thought I would give it a try.

Name:	CarryingWood.jpg
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	7172249

And here is a picture from my hike today at Heather Lake. Borrowed my friends dog for the hike :)

Name:	IMAG0881.jpg
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	7172248

Hopefully I'll have an update in the next day or two with the finished product.
                      sigpic
                      88 Alpine 325i
                      1/2 88 325iX

Comment

Little bit of an update. I'm still waiting on some parts from pelican. Specifically the tensioner bracket for my power steering pump. Been driving around without power steering. Nothing terrible, just would be better to have it since I have everything there. But I did get the grill for the lower part of my valence.

Name:	Valence grill.jpg
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	7172277

And on the car

Name:	Valence grill2.jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	7172278

Nothing too special, but it does start to complete the front end. Now I need to install my fog lights and it'll be complete.

And for my side project. If you haven't guessed it, its a roof rack. I like the look of wood racks on e30s so I thought I would give it a try. And I can give it an orange stain to help tie it into the car.

Name:	WoodRack.jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	7172279

Staining

Name:	Woodrack3.jpg
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	7172280

Should finish it up today and I'll post some pictures.

I also, got a BUNCH or random e30 and e34 parts for a screaming deal. So I'll be posting a for sale thread.
                        sigpic
                        88 Alpine 325i
                        1/2 88 325iX

Comment

Little bit of an update. I finished up my new roof rack. I think it turned out good. Little lighter orange, so it isn't too dominating. I might but off some on the extra on the cross bars, but I'm going to drive it around with it for a while and see what I think.

The rack getting assembled.

Name:	Woodrack4.jpg
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	7172344

And finally the rack on the car!!

Name:	roof rack.jpg
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	7172345

What do you guys think?

And here are a couple of other things I got going on in my free time.

I got a sweet sticker. Hit up Zachary Ard on Facebook if you want one. He made them a while ago and is selling what he has left. And I think they are perfect for an early e30.

Name:	Cruising the 80's.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	7172346

And I painted my valve cover too. Went flat black with an orange splatter over the top. Don't know if i'll sand down the "BMW" and stripes, and make them silver. Here is how its sits now.

Name:	painted valve cover.jpg
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	7172347
                          sigpic
                          88 Alpine 325i
                          1/2 88 325iX

Comment

Got another project done today. I removed the sound deadening from the trunk. There is a lot of stuff back there, and it weighs a lot. I don't have a scale, so I don't know exactly how much it weighs, but I'd guess like 40lbs-ish?

Name:	sound deadening.jpg
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	7172348

And it all out.

Name:	Sound deadening3.jpg
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	7172349

Bad picture but this is all of the deadening.

Name:	Sound Deadening Box.jpg
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	7172372

Didn't notice much of a noise difference. My car enough rattles as it is and makes a decent amount of noise already.

Also, I got my fog lights installed, so I don't have big holes in my valence. Although, they aren't wired up because I don't have the plugs. The pig tails that I got for the fog lights, I'm going to use for my turn signals since I need those to be legal to drive.

Got them in.

Name:	foglight.jpg
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	7172350

And now my front is looking complete.

Name:	foglights.jpg
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	7172351
                            Last edited by dugly52; 11-26-2014, 12:05 AM.
                            sigpic
                            88 Alpine 325i
                            1/2 88 325iX

Comment

I removed my RaceSkids X brace, because it was hitting my sway bar. I'm going to try and get some spacers to move the brace down so they don't hit.

Then I took out Amber for a drive to see if I could notice. I don't hear any clunking from them hitting anymore haha :) I drove out to Magnolia and got some quick photos on her.

Name:	Mongolia E30.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	7172352

Name:	Mongolia front E30.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	7172353

I'm really loving Amber right now. She's so nimble!
                              sigpic
                              88 Alpine 325i
                              1/2 88 325iX

Comment

Man very nice progress, I like the way you painted the valve cover, let's see how long that paint lasts. Glad to see you just jumping in and going for it. I'm the same way but I haven't gotten to work on mine as much as I would like but this is really inspiring. Keep up the good work man

Comment

Working...
                                X