No announcement yet.

1986 325iX 3.1L Stroker + Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the feedback. I saw that Provent before but I don't think it warrants the price tag.

I ended up using one of those K&N filters and it worked great.

Here are some pictures from yesterday.

My buddy's 325e rally car that I helped him pick up for $500, the Road Warrior in front of me on the way there.

Somehow the gauges decided to work all day! The car didn't overheat either.

Clean before the event.

I fell into the mod AWD class which meant there were lots of subarus even though I had never done an autocross before.

I mentioned I got the e28 spoiler mounted up.

And the dust at the end of the day.

I did have a couple of problems through the course of the day. On the way to the course, I boosted and popped one of the silicon couplers off the AFM connection. It was upstream of the AFM so it still ran fine on the highway, just no boost. Then my wastegate signal line blew off but it was so hot to try to grab it, I just left it off so my turbo spool suffered. Also at some point in the day, the plug on my throttle body blew off. I didn't notice until I was driving home and it was at 12 AFR at cruise on the highway. I plugged that this morning.

Here is a quick video I made today. Enjoy!

318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Nice!

Any plans for suspension mods?

Comment

Originally posted by wannaBMthree View Post
        Nice!

Any plans for suspension mods?
        Bilstein HD's on the front. I want to see how that rides. I like the current ride over the bumps and stuff but could use some more stiffness up front. There is no point in having a low iX especially when you can't clear snow, mud or bumps so I've got about the widest and tallest rubber i can fit on there to raise it up some more.

Maybe I'll go for this look:

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

If anything, it just makes sense to get rid of the reverse rack they always have. That's my plan. Just to drop it to an even height on all 4 corners. The car is already so damn low being the size that it is.

Comment

1986 325iX in Colorado Springs

I just joined the forum and I think I am the person who has the early Euro 325iX in Colorado Springs. Its red, two doors, BBS trunk spoiler and the side marker lights are mounted on the bumpers, not the fenders and quarters, dark tinted windows and all stock, no mods.:coolphoto:

Comment

Originally posted by brian8603 View Post
              I just joined the forum and I think I am the person who has the early Euro 325iX in Colorado Springs. Its red, two doors, BBS trunk spoiler and the side marker lights are mounted on the bumpers, not the fenders and quarters, dark tinted windows and all stock, no mods.:coolphoto:
              Hey, nice to meet you! I have heard of your car around and need to see it! I'd love to compare. My buddy Jon took this photo and said he gave you a drive 4 corners card about a year and a half ago. (www.drive4corners.com, you should come!) Also, Zach with the e23 told me he was planning to trade you for the iX but that was like 6 months ago! Seems like a runner that just needs a lil love. I'd love to see it though!

Anyway, here are some photos from the meet lately. I have tons of stuff to do before the meet when I leave next week.

I need to silicone the icv elbow in to the throttle, it keeps popping out.
              I need to bleed the brakes
              Rewire the gauges
              wire the running lights
              fix the seat lift, it wont fold forward on the drivers side
              fix a loud valve with a valve adjustment
              work on the tune some more
              repaint front valence
              wash and maybe wax it before the meet.

then after the meet
              add the magnaflow and chrome tips
              install good and tight exhaust manifold
              replace front fenders

That fart can

Comment

This bad boy came, unfortunately I won't get it installed in time before 2015 D4C...

DSC_0229 by downforce22, on Flickr

Comment

Any updates??
                  https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
                  https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

No updates, I started removing the old turbo and exhaust manifold to install the good and tight manifold but I found out my wastegate will not work and I need to buy a 44 mm wastegate.

I plan to remove the old turbo and get the new manifold on this weekend.

Comment

Hey man loving the build so far looking awesome. I do however have a question. The chrome around the headlight grills, is that painted on or is that a trim piece from another bmw? It looks pretty cool.
                      Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmer_man View Post
                        Hey man loving the build so far looking awesome. I do however have a question. The chrome around the headlight grills, is that painted on or is that a trim piece from another bmw? It looks pretty cool.
                        He painted them, but they are euro grilles.
                        http://www.Drive4Corners.com

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
                          Hey, nice to meet you! I have heard of your car around and need to see it! I'd love to compare. My buddy Jon took this photo and said he gave you a drive 4 corners card about a year and a half ago. (www.drive4corners.com, you should come!) Also, Zach with the e23 told me he was planning to trade you for the iX but that was like 6 months ago! Seems like a runner that just needs a lil love. I'd love to see it though!

Anyway, here are some photos from the meet lately. I have tons of stuff to do before the meet when I leave next week.

I need to silicone the icv elbow in to the throttle, it keeps popping out.
                          I need to bleed the brakes
                          Rewire the gauges
                          wire the running lights
                          fix the seat lift, it wont fold forward on the drivers side
                          fix a loud valve with a valve adjustment
                          work on the tune some more
                          repaint front valence
                          wash and maybe wax it before the meet.

then after the meet
                          add the magnaflow and chrome tips
                          install good and tight exhaust manifold
                          replace front fenders

That fart can
                          Nice to hear from you. Yeah the car looks a little worse for wear in that pic. It could use a little more love, thats what happens when its been my daily driver for about 8 years. I lost the card for the 4corners and I haven't seen Jon's car at that shop on 24 in a very long time.
                          About Zach and the e23, the trade is probably going to happen around the beginning of October. It would be cool if we could get together and look at each others rides. Just hit me up with a PM.:coolphoto:

Comment

I was looking back through this build. I saw you were thinking about a Magnaflow exhaust. The Magnaflow muffler is loud AF and drones worse than any muffler i've ever owned. When I switch mine, you want my old one?

Comment

Sub'd for ix goodness
                              My Garage
                              2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                              1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                              1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                              Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

So back from the dead, I had lost my job which slowed down me spending money on this (or even touching it).

But I was able to make some progress on this thing. It had been sitting so long a layer of dust had settled on it.

First thing is first, i decided to swap the decent condition tail lights onto my s38 car to improve that thing, and that left me with a set of aftermarket lights that my buddy suggested I throw on this car. So I did, and had to order a few bulbs to make sure they were red and bright enough to be seen.

Next up I replaced the rusty front federalized fenders with a couple spares I picked up. I got diamond black metallic fenders from a 325ix so hopefully the paint would match and the flares would still fit without any modification. This ended up working as the early model flares fit on the late model fenders! The front looks so much better now without the orange markers and the back looks kind of ricey but kind matches the non conformist build style of the rest of the car.

No pictures of the rust on the old fenders but the driver side was rusted all the way through and looking pretty terrible. The side skirts covered most of it up.

As for the engine, I installed the Good & Tight turbo manifold and wow is this a nice piece. I love the chrome finish and the fitment! I had to get a 44 mm wastegate to run this manifold so I bought a Tial MVR off craigslist. Then I went to install the downpipe and it was hitting the firewall. So i chopped the downpipe so I had it pointing at the ground and could atleast rid the engine bay of exhaust and run an oxygen sensor.

I drove it to a local shop with the open dump. I don't recommend this as it sounded like a diesel truck and I didn't even rev above 3000 rpm. I had them modify the old exhaust to fit, install the magnaflow 12198 3" inlet, dual 2.5" outlet, and install the chrome tips that I bought.

The tune was jacked up so I worked on that a bit today as I drove it around for the first time all year. And man is this thing fast. So much torque and then the turbo kicks in and you're moving. Anyway, still have to work on the tune, buy a new oil pressure sender cause mine broke, fix a ticking coming form the valvetrain, and she is ready to rock and roll.

Here are some pictures.

And a quick video

Comment

Working...
                                X