No announcement yet.

E30 #2: 1990 Delphin: RHD ITB M20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An air box was the only excuse I had for not buying a set before but plans need to wait as I need a real daily driver. With the kit already assembled how long do you think it took you to install and have everything buttoned up?

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
      An air box was the only excuse I had for not buying a set before but plans need to wait as I need a real daily driver. With the kit already assembled how long do you think it took you to install and have everything buttoned up?
      It's a purchase I've been very happy with.

Outside of the megasquirt stuff, I probably have about 8 hours in EVERYTHING associated with the install: Making the brackets for harness relocation/catch can, swapping the throttle cable, pulling the manifold, getting everything on and synced, etc. I also work a few hours at a time, and at a very slow pace ;).
      sigpic

Comment

it's always a bummer to find a great build thread and then reach the end of it... everything looks great. The picture of your car at the gas station made me a little wet.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
          it's always a bummer to find a great build thread and then reach the end of it... everything looks great. The picture of your car at the gas station made me a little wet.
          Hopefully there will be more to come.

Please don't be wet.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 318aye View Post
            Hopefully there will be more to come.

Please don't be wet.

Lol

Comment

SUB'D

heard from Rama that an airbox is finally available for the RHDs. Can't wait to see them installed on your ride. I bought a dbilas setup a while ago and am finally installing it now. Doing things in stages.. down the road I'll either leave the dbilas and FI the motor or possibly switch to an RHD setup.

had the RHD airbox been available I definitely would have gone that route.
              I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
              DB vert plastic bumpers
              OEM Keys
              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
              91 ic Calypso 3.1
              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
              TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
              e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

I don't know how I've missed this 2 yo build especially for a local car. I'll save my 2 years worth of commentary and just say that I thought I was anal about details but this....lol

Hope to see you around town.
                Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                Alice the Time Capsule
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                  SUB'D

heard from Rama that an airbox is finally available for the RHDs. Can't wait to see them installed on your ride. I bought a dbilas setup a while ago and am finally installing it now. Doing things in stages.. down the road I'll either leave the dbilas and FI the motor or possibly switch to an RHD setup.

Stages is usually best. Maybe digger has some ideas for squeezing more out of that dbilas setup?

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                  I don't know how I've missed this 2 yo build especially for a local car. I'll save my 2 years worth of commentary and just say that I thought I was anal about details but this....lol

Hope to see you around town.
                  Details are fun! The car will usually be out if the weather is nice. You have quite the find! Lachs is sweet.
                  sigpic

Comment

I like the cluster - but think it would take some getting use to after so many years of being use to seeing the normal tach position when driving.. Kudos for trying something different!
                    91 DS S52 Slicktop, 91 Calypso M42, 89 Royalblau M20, 84 Bahama Beige 323i, M535, Euro e24, ap1

www.RenownUSA.com
                    ig @RenownUSA / @rude.scott

Comment

Details are fun! The car will usually be out if the weather is nice. You have quite the find! Lachs is sweet.
                      Ditto. I'm usually in the Cabrio though which is notable for its matching red bbs center caps :)

I'm also at carsncoffee every so often.
                      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                      Alice the Time Capsule
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Stages is usually best. Maybe digger has some ideas for squeezing more out of that dbilas setup?
                        funny you ask that.. his writeups are amazing. the consensus seems to be loss of midrange torque compared to stock due to runners being too short and 45mm throttle bodies being too big for a stock motor. he also wrote this:

Originally posted by digger View Post
                        SUB'D.. still haven't installed my dbilas yet.
                        please sell it and use something better in that case.
                        anyway I got them running now and they sound fantastic. I want to stroke and FI anyway so I can probably flatten the torque curve out and get the power I want when I do that. If I started it now though I'd go your route with the new RHD airbox.

Can't wait to see it!

HOWTOs:
                        DB vert plastic bumpers
                        OEM Keys
                        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                        91 ic Calypso 3.1
                        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by animal View Post
                          I like the cluster - but think it would take some getting use to after so many years of being use to seeing the normal tach position when driving.. Kudos for trying something different!
                          Haha it did. I mostly wanted to clean up the speedo and get rid of the econometer. I like the tach more than the stock one now.

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                          Ditto. I'm usually in the Cabrio though which is notable for its matching red bbs center caps :)

I'm also at carsncoffee every so often.
                          I'll keep an eye out.

funny you ask that.. his writeups are amazing. the consensus seems to be loss of midrange torque compared to stock due to runners being too short and 45mm throttle bodies being too big for a stock motor. he also wrote this:

anyway I got them running now and they sound fantastic. I want to stroke and FI anyway so I can probably flatten the torque curve out and get the power I want when I do that. If I started it now though I'd go your route with the new RHD airbox.

Can't wait to see it!
                          I'll post details and my impressions when it gets done. Digger is a phenomenal resource. FI will certainly fix any curve issues you may have had:devil:
                          sigpic

Comment

I mostly wanted to clean up the speedo and get rid of the econometer. I like the tach more than the stock one now.
                            FI will certainly fix any curve issues you may have had:devil:
                            Hell yes lol. I'm not looking for kamotors power. just an as wide and flat a torque curve I can get without vanos. also plan to get the boost gauge that replaces the econometer. so I love your tach ALOT but really hope I can get the aftermarket boost gauge in there.

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Hell yes lol. I'm not looking for kamotors power. just an as wide and flat a torque curve I can get without vanos. also plan to get the boost gauge that replaces the econometer. so I love your tach ALOT but really hope I can get the aftermarket boost gauge in there.
                              I've always coveted that econometer boost gauge, that guy does good work. Do you know what flavor of FI you're after?
                              sigpic

Comment

going with a vortech supercharger after the motor is stroked and headers added. whodwho tried a serpentine m20 setup a while back. that's my target.

check out whodwho's serpentine+SC M20 incredible work. serpentine makes a lot of sense with this application since you'd have the SC, AC, PS and alt all hanging off the crank.

EDIT: found this pic too later in the thread. Man this really looks terrific. He mentioned having to swap out the intake boot (or at least heavily reinforce it so it doesn't balloon or split).

updated setup with boot replaced
                                Last edited by bradnic; 04-17-2016, 08:03 AM.

HOWTOs:
                                DB vert plastic bumpers
                                OEM Keys
                                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Working...
                                X