Not an e30 but still a bmw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not an e30 but still a bmw

heres my project ive been working on for about a year and a half. thought some of you may be interested in seeing its progress. i have a track rat that my wife refuses to ride in and i sourced a low mile s14 recently so i thought id build a driver thats fun yet comfortable so she'd come along on some of these drives that seem to be guys only most the time. when its done it will appear very stock with the only visible mods being lowering springs and a set of 15" panasports.
    powertrain will be a chipped but otherwise stock s14 with a/c. e21 5 speed amd 3.91 lsd. ill have a mixture of oem rubber and poly bushings to make it civilized yet still maintain some handling. its been at the bodyshop since september receiving all new metal. it just got painted yesterday so im started to get excited. heres a few pics along the way
    as i received it from sacramento 2 years ago

not too bad but a lot of rust was in areas i had no idea exsisted. the more i tore it apart the more clear it was id need to spend a lot to get this to the level i wanted it at.

initial cleaning of the s14 before teardown. im basically going thru it and resealing it. i did rod bearings and all new timing components and oil pump and chain while i was in there so i know what i have.

heres some suspension components after i beadblasted everything. i then sent everything off for powdercoating. ive also sent about 3- 5 gallon pails of bolts and assorted fasteners and components off to be yellow cad plated so every bolt on the car will be plated.

initial test fitting of the drivetrain. i assembled the cars driveline and made all the modifications to the nose for oil cooler and a/c components so after its painted i wont have to cut or modify anything. then i dissasembled it all and sent the shell out for work.

miscellaneous items back from the powder coaters

now the body starts to come apart. its receiving all new metal. it didnt start out this way but as i said before,,, the more you remove the more you find and im sinking some serious cash into everything else. i want to know this is truley rust free. its getting new 1/4's, new doors. new rockers, new trunk floor ,new outer wheel housings,new front fenders,nose,hood and trunk and tail section. the roof is however original.

thats kevin , my body guy in the background. hes an artist and doesnt compromise. i was really lucky to get him.

new factory turbo exhaust. i wanted a center exit exhaust and this is a quiet yet decently flowing system. it may be a touch small (2 1/4") depending on who you talk to but it will be quiet and livable. i have one car you cant even talk while inside so i want something mellow. when i get used to the power and do a 2.5 ill change out the exhaust.

a few more of it coming together

trunk floor in.

side exhaust welded shut

the entire car including hood and trunk received standox spray filler. the quality of the mobile traditions panels are less than desirable and in order to get panels like glass it needed quite a bit of work and hours and hours of blocking. here it is receiving the spray filler

i hung the exhaust and had kevin make a cut out in the center for it. he had the idea of cutting slices in the panel then rolling them up and in and then welding those sections together to give it a rolled look. its a small detail but those are the things i like. most everyone else will never notice.

i chose a single angled double wall tip in a 3" diameter. it looks like a bit much now but if you try and picture the bumper mounted i think it will look like it belongs on there.

they painted the trunk , engine bay and jambs and then went on strike. my car sat idle for 4 weeks until they finally settled and got back to work on monday. heres a few of them prepping the outside. i went with colorado and got a ration of shit for my color choice. it was common to hear "you put all that money into that thing and youre going to paint it that color"???
    but once the color went on it they all changed their tune. it now has 4 coats of base color and 2 coats of clear. then they sanded the clear and applied 2 more coats. i havent seen the final product yet but it sure looked good after the first 2 coats of clear.

these pics are shots of the base color only. no clear applied. i didnt have my camera with later in the day.

heres the car getting the initial clear sanded. you can get a general idea of what the colors going to look like on the paper.

and heres karl the painter. hes treating it as if it were his own. i really like the guys at sears imported autos. its my local bmw dealership and ive made a few connections there over the years from selling parts etc.

the interior will consist of a pair of scheel mann front seats i scored on ebay for the unbeliveable price of 300 bucks,,,, thanks to greg lavangie, who knew i was looking for some and told me of a set with a buy it now price. i emailed scheel mann in germany and bought enough of the original cloth to have the rear seat done in matching cloth. i shipped it up to canada and had al at seams perfect make me a rear seat out of it. he also supplied a set of german square weave carpets and a wool headliner for it. im anxious to get it back and start assembling it. all the components are restored and waiting to put back together
    We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
    www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Keep us updated, looks great! Is that your vette?

Comment

Blunt, that thing is amazing. Just dont sell it to some punk kid when you get done with it. ;-)
      Current Cars
      2014 M235i
      2009 R56 Cooper S
      1998 M3
      1997 M3

Comment

holy shit. I love roundie 02's. This car looks like it will be incredible when finished. More pics whenever you get more. I also like the fact that you stack engine parts on mid 70's corvette's!

Comment

Big thumbs up. Nice rebuild.
          /// M3NTAL Kev

Comment

Originally posted by thejimlab
            holy shit. I love roundie 02's. This car looks like it will be incredible when finished. More pics whenever you get more. I also like the fact that you stack engine parts on mid 70's corvette's!
            what else is a early 70's vette good for?? please come and take this thing away. i dont want it near my other cars
            We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
            www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

i think thats a perfect motor for the 02, very hott color aswell.
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-h...wE3UqwjjmaTrXg

Comment

Originally posted by blunt
                what else is a early 70's vette good for?? please come and take this thing away. i dont want it near my other cars
                I will take it away from ya if you want to get rid of it

Comment

fucking awesome.
                  keep updating please.
                  Dan

Comment

jesus tits man that is pratically going to be a brand new 02 when you are done and with all the sealing and blocking it will probably take it 5 times longer to rust again.

A 2.5 s14 should be interesting in a roller stake like that.
                    Im now E30less.
                    sigpic

Comment

I drove the guy's 2.5L s14 2002 back in san francisco few years ago and it fucking insane.
                      The work you are doing is just awesome, love the color choice! I am surprised you didn't go with the wide body, that would be wild... great project, keep us updated and good luck with it! You know you are going to enjoy it when you will be done! ;)

Comment

Looks like it's going to be amazing, thanks for sharing and i'll echo the " keep us updated" part.

Comment

Wow, I can't wait to see the finished project...
                          1991 318is - Picking up May 19th
                          2005 330i ZHP - For Sale

Comment

That is going to be the perfect 2002. I always wonder why there are so many m20 conversions, but I don't see many s14, m42 conversions. It will definitely be a car to be proud of, and pretty well balanced to boot.

Comment

Wow. Thanks for sharing. I love early 02's.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Working...
                              X