No announcement yet.

Build Thread: 325iC Turbo - Total Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you sure about that 5" alternator pulley? Think about it.

circumference = 2*pi*radius
    stock circumference = 2*3.14*1.25 = 7.85"
    new circumference = 2*3.14*2.5 = 15.7"

Meaning your alternator is underdriven by 50%. Unless you plan on removing 50% of the electric systems in your car, I highly advise against it. You won't notice the 1/2hp anyway.

Comment

More for cosmetics than performance. Besides, how much current does an E30 with a stock stereo & lighting need?

Comment

I'd be scared to drive this car once it's finished. So much time invested in cleaning and coating, etc. Looks great!
        sigpic

Comment

Maybe we'll just hire it out as a model car for advertising E30 parts for catalogs, pics, etc.

Comment

Just bought one of these for when we go wasted spark (the plate, not the red velvet blanket)...

Comment

Originally posted by E34DIYer View Post
              No, but we didn't want anything moving around and messing up our torque reading. I'll start hunting for a 323i timing cover.

Got a 320 timing cover same as a 323 let me know if you want it

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Appreciate it! But just pulled the trigger on the shiny thingy above. Now I need to find someone to laser-etch a BMW roundel onto it.

Comment

More for cosmetics than performance. Besides, how much current does an E30 with a stock stereo & lighting need?
                  It needs the stock amount. From the stock pulley...

srsly though, if you're concerned about the cosmetics of your alternator pulley over the functionality of your car, you might want to reconsider. You clearly know what you're doing mechanically, so don't screw it up in the name of shiny bits no one gives a f**k about.

Comment

Would like to know if this will be for sale. This is a lesson in doing the job right the first time. Can't wait to see the final product.

Have to agree with Corvallis on the alt pulley, wouldn't an oversize work out better on the PS instead if you really need that 1/2 hp?
                    sigpic
                    Streetable poly mounts, trans mounts are here!
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ght=streetable
                    '94 318i
                    '07 335i
                    '11 X5
                    '89 325ic m30b35

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                      It needs the stock amount. From the stock pulley...

srsly though, if you're concerned about the cosmetics of your alternator pulley over the functionality of your car, you might want to reconsider. You clearly know what you're doing mechanically, so don't screw it up in the name of shiny bits no one gives a f**k about.

Comment

Like you said, we're confident in the mechanical functionality. Upsizing the pulley won't hurt the car's functionality. But... if we do have charging issues, I promise to swap it out, ok?

Comment

Like you said, we're confident in the mechanical functionality. Upsizing the pulley won't hurt the car's functionality. But... if we do have charging issues, I promise to swap it out, ok?
                          Ya, it's not like it'll be a hard thing to do. You may only have issues when running AC and lights at the same time. No biggie. Nonetheless, great work!
                          sigpic
                          Streetable poly mounts, trans mounts are here!
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ght=streetable
                          '94 318i
                          '07 335i
                          '11 X5
                          '89 325ic m30b35

Comment

Thanks! And yes, we'd love to find an underdrive PS pulley, but I wasn't able to locate one. I'm hoping in a year or two to swap over to an EZPowersteering electric assist steering column anyway, but that's $1700 away. Again, not desperate for HP, just liked the alternator as a dress-up piece. Same reason we're having the throttle body's exterior polished.

As a side note... it doesn't "need" the stock amount. There's plenty of excess capacity available from the alternator.

Regarding selling... pretty sure it won't be for sale (at least not under $30k!). :-) But I am hoping to one day do something similar to an E30 M3.
                            Last edited by E34DIYer; 12-16-2014, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Just curious how come you want to add electric steering? Most people swap over to the manual steering column and delete the power steering using a e36 rack

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

We thought it would be an interesting and unique upgrade. Plus it'd get rid of the potentially messy hydraulic PS system. We'd like to build in some high-tech upgrades, especially if they're low-visibility and/or tasteful.

Along those lines, I'd love to get one of those econometer-to-boost ("Econoboost?") gauge retrofit pieces if I could find one.
                                Last edited by E34DIYer; 12-16-2014, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X