No announcement yet.

I guess it time to start a build thread on the touring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know it been a long time on this but I am finally getting some time to start working on it again. The engine is in just need time to finish wiring it. Will be updating soon. But I am back and forth on susp/brake set up. Should I go with coil overs with missive's big brake kit, 5 lug coil overs with e36m brakes, or h&r with billy's and a big brake kit. It won't be on a track so I feel coil overs are to much but then I feel like I'm not doing the project justice just throwing on some lowering springs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A few updates. Rear suspension is all most done. Ground control 5 lug swap coilovers. Rear caliper adapters for the z4 hub and e46 calipers and rotors. New brake lines, wheel bearings, new parking brakes, UUC sway bars, revshift diff bushing, new axles, poly sub bushings, garagistic alignment adjusters, and everything undercoated. I also picked up a set of rotiform wheels

Comment

Also switching to a S54 instead of the S52 and just ordered my Z3M harness and andrews swap harness yesterday.

Comment

Damn, goin' all out on this! Threads like this make me wish I made more money for myself haha, the envy is strong on this one. Keep up the good work, this will be one bitchin' Touring when you're done with it!

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
          --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

It helps when you have time to wait around for all the parts to slowly come around. The S54 engine that I got came from another shop as a core motor from a 02 M3. It ran just fine but needs the rings replaced. I got everything with it from the intake manifold to the exhaust manifolds as well as a/c comp, starter, p/s pump, wiring, TB's, etc etc and I payed $400. Its nice to have friends in this business. The coilovers I bought off here for $1500 brand new and the wheels I got local for $1500 too and they have never had tires on them. retailed for $2700

Comment

Got the s54 almost torn down.

And the Z3M harness showed up today

Comment

This is looking to be an epic Touring build, you Sir have my subscription

Comment

Anyone ever use Grant piston rings? They seem to be the only one besides BMW ($1200!) that carries rings for the S54

Comment

How has this thread slid under the radar?
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Sweet. No advice to offer on the s54 though.

Comment

They seem good. For a company that only makes piston rings and have been around for a long time I dont think they can be that bad for a stock motor. And im not spending $1200 on OEM rings.

Comment

Ebay headers showed up today. Not bad for $125. Didnt really want to cut up nice headers to go around the steering shaft

Comment

Finally got the piston and rods out and found this [emoji17] 5 out of the 6 Pistons

Comment

Ouch. Common s54 thing? I bet you weren't expecting broken ring lands on a stock motor

Comment

It came out of a stage one Supercharged M3. but it did run and drive just smoked so I was expecting just bad rings.

Now my next question. Someone local has a set of stock pistons for $175 or a bored block with 1 size over JE pistons (stock comp). Brand new never been put together for $1200. Would it be that much of a upgrade over stock?

Comment

Working...
                                X