Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made quick work of the remaining disassembly

Finished painting the subframe. The SEM rust-seal seemdd to have done it's job. It left a very thin but extremely hard surface to wich I sprayed rustoleum professional enamel. I've been searching for a while to find a really strong durable rattle can paint. I read a bunch of reviews saying this stuff is very good, but limited in colors.

This is flat black. We'll see how it holds up.

Sawzalled as close to the frame/body as I could to make it easier to drill out the spot welds.

Trimmed a little more. This view makes me very excited thinking about how damn easy it will be to pull the engine in the future with the removable core support.

An odd spot collecting dirt/dust. Maybe oil leaking past that bolt?

Here's a little bit of the "coolant" (I only filled it with distilled water last time) that drained from the radiator. I collected some into the clear jug to see what it looked like. Is this any cause for concern? I am thinking it's just more residue coming from the heater core. When I drained the system ages ago for this first time with the m20 it was a soupy mess and considering the rest of the system was brand new when the s52 went in, I don't know what else it could be.

'89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Comment

This was a nerve wrecking job lol

Also like AK said, I envy your work area; beats the shit outta what I'm dealing with lol.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DIIRTY-30 View Post
          This was a nerve wrecking job lol
          Also like AK said, I envy your work area; beats the shit outta what I'm dealing with lol.
          Honestly, it wasn't really. There was nothing in the way so I just went to town.

Also thanks for the garage tent envy :D makes me feel better about it

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
          it's ALWAYS happening :devil:
          Shadetree30

Comment

Looking good! I gotta pay you a visit in the future.
            Singer Vehicle Design.
            Quan@singervehicledesign.com

Comment

I got a little bit done last night, only had an hour in the garage.

Drilled out the spot welds to remove the remaining traces of the old core support

Then I realized that I forgot to mark or make notes of the positioning... noob. So I checked the pile of pieces I just cut up and found 2 of the rear spot welded flanges and tacked them back in place to get the lateral positioning. Then, since I have no vertical reference (besides the passenger side inner fender - driver side was smashed in the accident), I scratched my head for a bit and started poking around for ideas.

This part may not make sense without pictures or recent intimate experience with a core support... Looking at where the core support mounts under the frame rail, the bracket where the radiator sits continues all the way around the underside of the frame rail. Long story short, it just so happens that I cut that bracket in the same place while removing the old support from the car, and while I was preparing the donor unit. So I can use that bracket as vertical reference :D hope that made sense.

Horizontal references spot welded back in place

Stuck the new core support in place for fun, and then closed shop. I think I'll order a rivnut tool so I can easily place bolts for the bottom mount of the core support. Also I can already think of dozens of applications for this tool.

Last edited by Sh3rpak!ng; 02-18-2016, 01:50 PM.
              Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by cali_e30 View Post
                Looking good! I gotta pay you a visit in the future.
                Thanks man, absolutely!
                Shadetree30

Comment

Yesterday's pics are not working.
                  How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                    Transaction feedback
                    - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                      I was literally half asleep yesterday, forgot to move the pictures from the private folder over to the public "cars folder". Please forgive me. I'd promise it won't happen again but that'd be lies.

Working now?
                      Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                        I was literally half asleep yesterday, forgot to move the pictures from the private folder over to the public "cars folder". Please forgive me. I'd promise it won't happen again but that'd be lies.

Working now?
                        Hah no worries dude, just couldn't resist posting a Gob gif, pics are working now!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                        Transaction feedback
                        - jpod999

Comment

I just wanted to give you a heads up so you knew. I assumed you would fix them eventually when you were aware they were not working.
                          How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                            Hah no worries dude, just couldn't resist posting a Gob gif, pics are working now!
                            I laughed
                            I just wanted to give you a heads up so you knew. I assumed you would fix them eventually when you were aware they were not working.
                            Thanks, actually when I make that mistake, I don't realize it until someone points it out because even though the photos are linked to a private album, they still work for me since chrome is smart and knows I have a picassa/google gallery (that's where I host my photos). The androiud phone automatically backs them up to my picassa/google thing and then all I have to do each morning is move them to a public folder and link them.
                            Shadetree30

Comment

Little progress last night, but I should have it finished this weekend.

Riv nut tool arrived. It looks cool. The riv nuts that come with the kit are garbage as I expected. I ordered M8 riv nuts from mcmaster in anticipation. Also got a bunch of nuts and washers to restock my collection.

Took me quite a bit longer to sort out the positioning of the core support than I thought it would, but having a spare brand new on helped quite a bit. I got the plates sized and tacked into place. Also decided that I'll go the riv nut route to mount them to the frame rails after tossing some ideas in my head.

Set in place now

Anyone know how to tell via the gauge on the c25 tank when it's getting low? I'm not sure at what point I should have it refilled, but I seem to remember it was pegged at 80 bar when I first got it and only very recently started to drop. I haven't had the tank refilled as of yet, and I don't want to run out while I'm in the middle of a project.

Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                                Made quick work of the remaining disassembly

Finished painting the subframe. The SEM rust-seal seemdd to have done it's job. It left a very thin but extremely hard surface to wich I sprayed rustoleum professional enamel. I've been searching for a while to find a really strong durable rattle can paint. I read a bunch of reviews saying this stuff is very good, but limited in colors.

This is flat black. We'll see how it holds up.

Sawzalled as close to the frame/body as I could to make it easier to drill out the spot welds.

Trimmed a little more. This view makes me very excited thinking about how damn easy it will be to pull the engine in the future with the removable core support.

An odd spot collecting dirt/dust. Maybe oil leaking past that bolt?

Here's a little bit of the "coolant" (I only filled it with distilled water last time) that drained from the radiator. I collected some into the clear jug to see what it looked like. Is this any cause for concern? I am thinking it's just more residue coming from the heater core. When I drained the system ages ago for this first time with the m20 it was a soupy mess and considering the rest of the system was brand new when the s52 went in, I don't know what else it could be.

You are all good just run a coolant flush in it. Dump it then distilled water then dump it and do it until it's clear add coolant and throw in a bottle of water wetter while you're at it it seriously works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X