No announcement yet.

Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed the last of the accident damage. Welded in a section of the support arm to replace the section that was damaged.

Found a crack at the corner of the "battery tray" and the top passenger corner of the trans tunnel. Common?

Got the new 19mm/19mm master cylinder for the boosterless brake conversion.

Application:
    1967-77 VW Standard Bug
    1967-74 VW Karmann Ghia
    1973-74 VW Thing
    P/N 113611015BD

Made some really really cool giant hood vents. These are the best hood vents because I only do the best things and these are the biggest hood vents you can fit. Bigger is better. I'm gonna make some vents out of carbon fiber because carbon fiber goes on racecars and this is a racecar. Racecars are the best cars because they were made for racing so they'll do everything better than a normal car. And if it rains, I can just drive really fast so the water will blow over the vents and not leak inside. It'll be easy to drive fast because racecars are made to go fast and this is a racecar.

Just kidding. I was harvesting the usable sheet metal before I chopped it up and got rid of it.

Soon the last remaining evidence of an accident will be gone. This makes me feel good. A symbolic step in recovering my sanity.

That shock tower is up for grabs if anyone wants it for some random reason before I toss it - brand new oem (minus the section I cut).

Test fitted the rx7 calipers and 280mm discs. I measured at least a 25mm spacer needed to get my wheels to clear the calipers. So that means the rx7 calipers stick out ~25mm more than the oem calipers since the oem calipers cleared my wheels by like 0.5mm with no spacer. Well shit I'm not sure what to do.

Pretty much any spacer with these wheels will put them past the fender - they fit flush already with a slight fender roll. So a 25mm (bolt-on) spacer would necessitate flares. The wilwood calipers I think are better on clearance, but might still require a spacer which would require flares - not much better. Different wheels could definitely solve the issue, but I REALLY like these wheels and I don't really have the budget for a new set of wheels/tires. I guess ideally I'd like a different set of wheels maybe 16x9, flares and bbk, but that's the most expensive solution haha. I'm stumped.

Picked up preliminary paint supplies. This shit is expensive. If anyone can comment on the quality of these brands/product lines I'd appreciate it. They were recommended to me by the auto paint store as high quality. And that I can use this primer on both the bay and exterior.

Cut out sections to close up some holes.

Used some of the harvested hood sheet metal to make up the pieces to fill the holes I cut.

Last edited by Sh3rpak!ng; 04-04-2016, 11:55 AM.
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
      Soon the last remaining evidence of an accident will be gone. This makes me feel good. A symbolic step in recovering my sanity.
      this was a big feel-good moment for me too. My hood still has a scar and is basically the last of the accident evidence. Damn good feeling.

btw Ive heard people mill down the mazda logo and the little square nipple on the face of the calipers to get some space back... maybe you'll only need a 20mm spacer
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

You're making me regret not doing it to this level. That seriously looks great. That's some great work you're doing.

Comment

This is what killing it looks like.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
          Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
          Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
          Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post

Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              this was a big feel-good moment for me too. My hood still has a scar and is basically the last of the accident evidence. Damn good feeling.

btw Ive heard people mill down the mazda logo and the little square nipple on the face of the calipers to get some space back... maybe you'll only need a 20mm spacer
              Yea even though I'd fixed most of it before, it still hurt just to see the bent up pieces lying around. Felt good to tear them up with the sawzall.

Yes, I've also seen that bump ground down a little, but I don't know that it would really make enough difference. I'm looking into the wilwood calipers and brackets since I already have the correct rotors... they seem to be significantly narrower.

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
              You're making me regret not doing it to this level. That seriously looks great. That's some great work you're doing.
              Thanks! It's a shitload of work but I'm getting excited visualizing what it will look like. Deadline is May 22, a week ahead of bimmerfest.
              Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post

Originally posted by staysideways View Post
              Agreed
              Thanks guys! Comments like these really help me keep up the motivation.
              Shadetree30

Comment

Looks awesome man great work! Planning on cutting out the battery tray as well or no?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
                ▲ 1991 318is ▲ | Feedback Thread

Comment

I hate that you are making my like bronzit.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                  Transaction feedback
                  - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by The_Lope7 View Post
                    Looks awesome man great work! Planning on cutting out the battery tray as well or no?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
                    Thank you! Yes, kinda. I'm saving it for last in case I get too fed up with seam sealer/welding/grinding haha. Likely I'll trim it down so I can still fit the harness cover.
                    Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                    I hate that you are making my like bronzit.
                    Damn straight, that's the idea.

Though to be honest I never EVER thought I'd own this car in this color, let alone wind up LOVING it!

:finger: :finger: :finger: :finger:
                    Shadetree30

Comment

Bronzit looks great when it's clean!

It helps if the rest of the car is dope too :p
                      -Alex

Comment

Awesome work! Really makes me want to redo my engine bay!

Check out my Alpine's DEAD build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=348571

E36 M3 Build thread http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=597637

Comment

Originally posted by Toodaloo View Post
                          Awesome work! This really makes me want to redo/ clean up my engine bay!

Check out my Alpine's DEAD build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=348571

E36 M3 Build thread http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=597637

Comment

bummer on those brakes. Too bad they only really work with track wheels with a convex wheel spoke.

Comment

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
                              Bronzit looks great when it's clean!

It helps if the rest of the car is dope too :p
                              aww shucks :up: thanks!
                              Originally posted by Toodaloo View Post
                              Awesome work! Really makes me want to redo my engine bay!
                              Thanks!! The results will be worth it, but it's a shitload of work. I don't know if I would have ever gone this far with it if I hadn't had the accident and the clutch problems.
                              Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                              bummer on those brakes. Too bad they only really work with track wheels with a convex wheel spoke.
                              Yea, but on the upside it kinda forced my hand to take it another level up. Placed an order just in the nick of time for a massive wilwood bracket kit. I used the nifty template on his page to see what kinda of clearance I'd have. The wilwood calipers have to be ~1/2" narrower front and back, so I'll only likely need a 5-10mm spacer. I think I can still squeeze my wheels and tires under the fenders. If I need to roll them a bit more I'm okay with that.

Cut some more plates and plugs to fill holes in the bay.

These holes got plugged

Tacked these in place

Found another crack?

Ground down one side

Got the other side welded

Some more brake parts arrived

Shadetree30

Comment

Keep it up! inspiring!!
                                E30 now S52
                                2008 Suburban LTZ (Family and TT hauler)
                                325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X