Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
    Though I kinda feel like the seats need to be tilted back a little bit more. Right now the brackets are maxed out. The front of the seat is mounted to the top hole in the bracket, and the rear is mounted to the bottom hole. I might pickup a sparco slider and universal seat mount and see if that'll give me all the adjustment and solid mounting that I want.
    Make another hole in the sidemount below the one you're using now?

Comment

Inspiring build wow. Did you use a mig welder on your exhaust setup? If so what wire, wire size and gas are you running for the stainless? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
        Are you going to do anything with you dash before you put in the cage? Flock it or a new one? That is the only thing I think you really need right now aesthetic wise . Personally I would do black carpet too but that is just my opinion.
        Honestly the state of the dash has never really bothered me. Never felt the need to replace it with a crack free one, especially at the goign rates. I'd like to flock it at some point but that is pretty low on the to do list. I've been planning a black carpet for a long time, or maybe anthracite/dark grey. That will definitely be done at the same time as the cage. Probably will just duplicolor spray die it.
        Originally posted by Jaker View Post
        Make another hole in the sidemount below the one you're using now?
        I would but I can't. There is a design pattern cut into the bracket right below the bottom most hole on the rear so there's no space unfortunately.
        Originally posted by scarecrow View Post
        Inspiring build wow. Did you use a mig welder on your exhaust setup? If so what wire, wire size and gas are you running for the stainless? Thanks
        Thanks! Initially I used a cheap harbor freight inverter stick welder on the exhaust; not recommended. Now I use a hobart mig which is worth its money 1000x. I've never actually welded any stainless, though I have the wire and gas for it. Shielding gas for mig welding stainless steel is called "tri mix" - 90% helium, 7.5% argon, and 2.5% carbon dioxide. The wire I have is .025" 308LSi which I recall after some researching was a good versatile stainless wire. Welding mild steel I also use .025" wire. Most of the welding you do on a car is really thin gauge where you want to be using the thinnest wire you can get so as not to blow holes through your material. Mig welding exhaust is easiest with .025 since the tube is so thin.
        '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
        Shadetree30

Comment

I always love updates on your car (because they are awesome and your projects are always top notch) and I always hate updates on you car (because my car is not awesome and my projects are lame.)

Love the idea of the nylon stock for spacers for the seats, why didn't I think of that!

Keep up the great work.

Comment

Originally posted by kts View Post
            I always love updates on your car (because they are awesome and your projects are always top notch) and I always hate updates on you car (because my car is not awesome and my projects are lame.)

Love the idea of the nylon stock for spacers for the seats, why didn't I think of that!

Keep up the great work.
            Thanks man! It sure took me long enough to get the car to this stage and i have a feeling it will never end :p

Replaced the trunk seal since I've been noticing the the battery tray and jack storage have been wet/damp after rain. The e36 is now sitting in the garage so I can finally start fixing it and bringing it back to its former glory (and beyond). So the e30 will be sitting outside for the next couple months.

I looked up some rubber edge seals like this on mcmaster to see if i could find a match that was cheaper than buying a bmw part. Pretty sure there are a few that would've worked but I got worried at the last second that they wouldn't be "right".

Saw a UUC dssr for sale on FB cheap so I grabbed it. It was cheap because the guy "modified" it to fit the newer style selector knuckle The original style knuckle looked like the one pictured below (albeit with a plastic bushing). The new style has a little extra plastic sticking out the edges instead of using plastic washers. So rather than just shaving down the plastic edges of the selector knuckle, the guy smacked one end of the dssr with a hammer with the other end over something to bend the forks apart I bent them back. Not perfect but totally functional.

Also pulled the bronze bushinged selector knuckle out of the parts bin and got it to fit the DSSR quite snug. These parts will be making up shifter v4 . Hopefully the last.

Last edited by Sh3rpak!ng; 02-17-2017, 10:29 AM.
            Shadetree30

Comment

Aww pictures not working for me :(
              sigpic
              Project: 87' 325iS... 325iS
              88 Alpine 325i
              1/2 88 325iX

Comment

Originally posted by dugly52 View Post
                Aww pictures not working for me :(
                working now?
                Shadetree30

Comment

Yup, good to go!

I'll be curious how the DSSR install is. I have one on my "to-do" list, but haven't wanted to drop exhaust, driveshaft etc
                  sigpic
                  Project: 87' 325iS... 325iS
                  88 Alpine 325i
                  1/2 88 325iX

Comment

Originally posted by dugly52 View Post
                    Yup, good to go!

I'll be curious how the DSSR install is. I have one on my "to-do" list, but haven't wanted to drop exhaust, driveshaft etc
                    It's pretty easy. You might be able to do it without taking too much stuff apart. I think you can at least avoid pulling the DS.

For me it's super easy. Since I've removed the exhaust shilding, and have a trans tunnel mounted shifter I can do it without disassembling anything :p Last time I actually did it all from the top, sticking my hand down through the shifter hole.
                    Shadetree30

Comment

How have you bolted in your tunnel mounted shifter? I'd have a look, but there's over 60 pages... despite how many times I have read this thread I have no idea where it is.

Comment

Originally posted by mila325 View Post
                        How have you bolted in your tunnel mounted shifter? I'd have a look, but there's over 60 pages... despite how many times I have read this thread I have no idea where it is.
                        Lol I really need to make some sort of index. I can't even navigate my own build thread... I'll find it

Found it. Using an early model shift carrier that's been trimmed so it sits flat. This eliminates the "floating" shifter carrier and 2 joints which really tightens up the shifter, especially when everything else is fresh as well. This is an early picture. I've since replaced the shifter with an IE short shift lever. I also have parts for v4 on the way so all this will be up for sale soon.

Last edited by Sh3rpak!ng; 02-21-2017, 10:02 AM.
                        Shadetree30

Comment

I've been trying to figure out a tow hook setup that is affordable, functional and looks clean but was frustrated with lack of options until I saw AKG makes model specific hooks for a reasonable price. Immediately ordered one and it looks great! I really liked the turner tow strap but couldn't justify the $100 price. It's also pretty funny how many cheap ones are available on amazon/ebay but all have little disclaimers cautioning that they cannot support the vehicle's weight

I added stickers as well..

Painted the rear hook to match

Went for a drive up in angeles national forest. It was a great drive despite the patches of fog and wet road. Nice to meet another local enthusiast and lure glen out of hiding/winter hibernation.

Since there was traffic on the road and conditions prohibited fast driving, I was able to snap a few photos.

Shadetree30

Comment

you forgot to mention that the speedhunters guys were jocking your car. i hope they do a write up on you and the bronzit.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
                              you forgot to mention that the speedhunters guys were jocking your car. i hope they do a write up on you and the bronzit.
                              HA! I did forget. That was pretty cool! Yea I hope to see some photos or something soon. Maybe I can turn that encounter into a more comprehensive article :D We'll see!
                              Shadetree30

Comment

post the link here if they do
                                1990 325is
                                m52b28
                                3.73lsd
                                g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Working...
                                X