No announcement yet.

ScottyB's 1987 E30 RallyCross Re-Build for Mod Rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started working on the engine this past weekend. The adapter fitting arrived to allow an oil filter to screw directly into the block. I was about $16 shipped but I didn't have many options. The local parts store had a Wix 51374 and it fits well.

The valve cover had a leak at the bottom front corner so I got a new gasket with an imprinted seal bead. While it was off I decided to check the rocker arm lash. It had a bit too much tick tick for me so I took the opportunity to check them. I didn't check them all to see what they were at before but I know a few were .012 or more. A little bit of searching revealed .010 is the recommended clearance with some suggesting as tight as .006 Intake /.008 Exhaust. I went with .007/.009 since I don't have the spring tool to create consistent tension. This car had more than enough low end power for what we do with it so it won't bother me if it shifts the power band up a bit. Several were at the end of adjustment and one of them wouldn't adjust tight enough. The eccentric just isn't big enough. I don't see any obvious damage and I know its not a factory cam so I will order a few oversize eccentrics from Ireland and give that a try.

I can't say its fun trying to get the feeler gauge down in there.

The next project was to finish up the brake conversion over to manual. I had some scrap pieces of 1/4" aluminum plate and one was just big enough to make a firewall adapter plate. It's roughly 4" square. Some quick rounding on the belt sander followed by some measuring and I was ready to drill the first holes.

To get the correct 6:1 pedal ratio I measured 11.5" from the pedal pivot point to the center of the pedal foot pad. That meant I needed to mount the brake rod roughly 1.9" down.

To do this I had to cut off the factory rod mounting bracket

and grind it down

I found a 3/8" female heim end and a fine thread bolt I could lock into it with a jam nut to make the pushrod.

Here is the finished product

I had to offset the master upward to make the rod align with the hole so it doesn't bind when it goes through its stroke.

From the firewall side

That's it for now. I have a battery cutoff switch, manual water temperature gauge, and a M14x1.5 to 5/8" UNF adapter fitting so I can use it in the factory temp sensor hole.

Comment

A few items came in this week. The water temperature gauge, air filter and dust sock, 90 degree silicone elbow, and the brass fittings to adapt a manual temperature gauge to the BMW water neck all showed up this week. I also found some sheet aluminum from a local place so I can build a panel to mount the Microsquirt, coil, and fuse box. I haven't had the time to get out into the garage lately except for a few hours yesterday.

I had a tough time finding the adapter fitting. Finally found it at CarQuest auto parts.

The manual gauge screwed right in

It took a little trimming of the silicone elbow and I had to fab a quick bracket but I was able to use a piece of intake tubing I had left sitting around and it worked perfectly with the K&N filter, putting it near the headlight hole.

Comment

I thought I'd update Scotty's thread.
        I bought it from Scott last year.
        Car runs and handles great - very light with plenty of power. This is a picture from the last SCCA TVR Region event at Hollytree.

Comment

Awesome! Seems like a great build.

Any other pics of the finished car would be awesome!

Thanks for the update!

Comment

Two from the day I bought it and an AutoX event - I was experimenting with tires and seeing how it would do on pavement. It handled very well and had plenty of torque. I did two AutoX events but no more...bought another E30 for that. No power brakes is okay in the dirt...no so much for quick AutoX stopping. Also, being gutted puts it in FP. I'll find an engine and interior pic so you can see how it turned out. Very minimalistic. Very light. Tidy and roomy engine bay. Now that I have a stock E30 325i I see how much crap was removed - amazing!

Click image for larger version

Name:	12742769_10205373823537342_4256691779848351609_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	7200804

Name:	12745483_10205373823697346_4905526306333195751_n.jpg
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	7200805

Name:	E30-event6.jpg
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	7200803

Comment

RallyX

[ATTACH]126163[/ATTACH]

Switch panel

[ATTACH]126164[/ATTACH]

Electronics - computer, coil, fuses, ..

[ATTACH]126165[/ATTACH]

wasn't much left after Scott built it but to sticker it up...decided to go with a Bitburger Beer theme...

[ATTACH]126166[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]126167[/ATTACH]

Comment

man, I miss my rally e30 being that light. i keep making it heavier and heavier lol..
                Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
                Track/street e21 build
                visit Condor Speed Shop
                visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Working...
                X