FreE21 Cleaning/Resto Project

The Car:

1978 320i
    Fjord Blue(Repainted) on Navy Blue?
    158,000 miles
    4 speed, m10
    Spider infected.

The Plan:

Clean, clean, clean and clean. 10 years of dirt is more than I've ever seen on a car. I hope to get the car to run so I can potentially use as a DD while I swap my m60 in my e30. That, or I clean and restore it enough to sell for funding for the m60 swap. I'll know more as time continues.

The Backstory:

I was driving around one winter day, and saw this e21 sitting in someone's yard. Dirt and snow covered the car, and the hood was popped open. I drove away with a picture on my phone, and over the next two months, the thought of getting an e21 was burning a hole in my head. I mean its blue (favorite color) and OEM gold wheels, what’s not to love.

A month ago I went back to the house to see if it was still there and to show my friend it, and we decided to go talk to the owners.

The wife answered the door, and we told her we were fans of old BMW’s and wanted to know if we could look at the car a little. Soon after she told us that she wanted to get rid of it for a while, and I responded with “well if you want to get rid of it, we’d be happy to take it for free!” And she said “Yeah! Just let me talk it over with my husband.”

We went back next weekend and knocked on the door again. The wife said her husband wanted to get $1000 for it, but she’d like it gone. She also told us that the husband went to get a part for it ten years ago, never got the part, and it sat in the same spot until yesterday (3-29). We talked the husband out of his insanity and got the e21 for free!

So long story short we towed it to my house, and started to dig into the car. 10 years does a lot of wear on a car. Thankfully the car sat under a tree so the paint was in pretty good condition.

The car has no key. BMW cannot get me a key. I will be going to a friend with e21's all over the place to get a key and tumblers/ignition from him this weekend (4-11)

There are spiders everywhere. Spider count is 27 so far. We haven’t removed any panels or opened the trunk yet.

I don’t like spiders much.

Spiders live in between the rear wheels and the drum brakes.

There is moss growing all over the rear (or was I should say because I cleaned most of it off).

The interior is in shambles. The rear seat back is disintegrated, and the front seats are headed that way.

The tires are probably all shot, and the engine needs a whole refresh. All the rubber hoses need to be replaced and probably all the fuel lines and tank for all I know.

Pictures are below so you can see for yourself what I’ve gotten myself into.

I'm interested to see where this goes.

Cleaned up way nicer than I expected!

You might want to close your eyes for this next part

One wheel "clean" haha

After wash number one!

Semi-vaccumed as I was still too scared to get in it because of the spiders

One seat removed

Cleaned a door panel. They are pristine except for the aftermarket stereo install.

Cleaned seat.

I love the blue sooo much!

After I found out BMW couldn't get me a key (The trunk was locked) my brother decided to drill out the rear lock to get into the trunk, since it had to be opened anyways to install the new set of locks. My suspicions were proved correct when we got it open that there used to be subs in the trunk! Too bad someone removed them before I got to it.

There was a whip, interior bits, a bunch of tapes, and an oem hood bra!

Disappointing sub box

Most junk removed

Clean trunk! I was pleasantly surprised to find very little rust in the trunk.

More updates to come as I question my sanity!

Nice find mate! So clean :)
    5-lug Kit | E36 & E46 Hub & Brake Adaptor for E30!
    Leave feedback about my transactions!
    sigpic

Comment

Love the Whip!

CRAAAACK!!!

CAPP..... :-)

Comment

Am glad you went and kept it. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Comment

BURN IT TO THE GROUND!!!

Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Too many spiders.

Comment

Old and new trunk lock

Before

Painted:

Took the grills off

Might as well take the bumper off too

Still needs work

Comment

serious potential here.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
              Ig:ryno_pzk
              I like the tuna here.
              Originally posted by lambo
              Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

e21s are what got me started on BMWs years ago. I was the local "e21 guy". Your car is very similar to one I drove for quite awhile, brings back some good memories. If you ever get it to the point of "mods" I still have a euro HVAC panel from an early model 323i that is all in German, $50.

1989 325i Alpine s52 coupe
                2003 540i M-Sport 6 speed
                2003 X5 3.0

Comment

awesome project. local pick n pull just got an identical car with a truly mint interior, blown headgasket though.

keep up the good work!

Comment

Much better shape than my free e21!! Prepare to drop the tank for rust. Also do you know why it was parked 10 years ago?

-NICK

Comment

Awesome, there's no price better than free! IMO leave the bumper off, looks better :)

Comment

Originally posted by corvallisbmw View Post
                        awesome, there's no price better than free! Imo leave the bumper off, looks better :)
                        ^^^this
                        Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

It runs!!! and drives!!!

Comment

Sweet looks like this thing cleaned up pretty nice.

Paint that chrome trim tho

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                              Sweet looks like this thing cleaned up pretty nice.

Paint that chrome trim tho
                              Thats coming shortly!

Sidenote: I was born in sunnyvale.

Comment

Working...
                              X