• Show
Clear All

• doorman
    replied
    Love your ingenuity brother!!

Leave a comment:

• Ether-D
    replied
    I have oil pressure now. The o-ring on the oil pressure relief valve (or actually the lack of an o-ring) was why it couldn't build pressure. I have my new walbro pump in-hand and a new fuel filter. Things are happening again. Suck it, nerds.

Leave a comment:

• Ether-D
    replied
    Well, I did the obvious thing and bought some ether. Gave it a two-second shot and away she went. Purrrrrrred like a kitty for 3 seconds. Problem is, it didn't build any oil pressure. I hear that they do this, but usually build pressure quick after first start but I'm skeered. Any words of encouragement?

Leave a comment:

• Ether-D
    replied
    I rigged up a walbro pump from Agent's old setup to the 944. Got fuel, spark, and crank, but no fire. The rotor is pointing where it should be pointing, and the firing order and wire placement is correct. New plugs. When I pull out a plug after trying for a minute, it smells gassy. Weak coil?

Leave a comment:

• Ether-D
    replied
    Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
    Or should I just splash some gas in the intake and then try?
    So I did that. It popped a few times and then quit. I'm so happy with that for now. Because I know it's getting the right signals to make it spark, and it's telling the fuel pump to turn on so there's that. I guess I'm gonna order the pump and then see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• Ether-D
    replied
    Or should I just splash some gas in the intake and then try?

Leave a comment:

• Ether-D
    replied
    Could there be any major danger from just dipping a wired up e30 fuel pump into a gas can under the car and pumping from there? I mean, that's pretty much how an e30 is done, but cept for the gas can is a gas tank. Anywho, if I never post again, you'll know what happened…

Leave a comment:

• Ether-D
    replied
    Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
    With a name like Ether-D, i'm surprised you are going through the trouble to rig a fuel pump just to hear her run.
    Well ain't you clever… The "ether-d" is a play on "e30". Nobody gets it.

Originally posted by rcsoundn1 View Post
    Liking the progress, and digging the coil conversion. Did you come up with that or see it done somewhere else? Any more info on the conversion?
    I came up with the coil conversion. But full disclosure, the shocks I purchased were not quite heavy-duty enough, and one disassembled itself in Birmingham, AL at about mile #1500 of a 1700 mile road trip. I wired everything back together with some tie-wire and made it home, but Ima need to spend a little more on the shocks.

Leave a comment:

• rcsoundn1
    replied
    Liking the progress, and digging the coil conversion. Did you come up with that or see it done somewhere else? Any more info on the conversion?

Leave a comment:

• LJ851
    replied
    Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
    I did the hard part: I put oil in it and spun a filter on.

Now I'm in the process of rigging up an old e30 fuel pump so I can get fuel pressure (very desirable if I want it to start). It's classic redneck fabrication. I'll get a pic. It's just a temporary solution so I can see if this thing shows promise before I throw more money at it. I'll try to remember to take an actual "first start attempt" video this time. Hopefully it'll start.

With a name like Ether-D, i'm surprised you are going through the trouble to rig a fuel pump just to hear her run.

Leave a comment:

• Ether-D
    replied
    I did the hard part: I put oil in it and spun a filter on.

Now I'm in the process of rigging up an old e30 fuel pump so I can get fuel pressure (very desirable if I want it to start). It's classic redneck fabrication. I'll get a pic. It's just a temporary solution so I can see if this thing shows promise before I throw more money at it. I'll try to remember to take an actual "first start attempt" video this time. Hopefully it'll start.

Leave a comment:

• Ether-D
    replied
    Aight then. I got the cam tower, intake manifold, timing belt, and balance shaft belt installed on it. Feels good to get out there and do something. I need to do a fuel system flush, fill it with some oil and toss a filter on there, and I might just crank it soon.

Leave a comment:

• Ether-D
    replied
    I have driven around for years with a trailer with leaf springs and it just rode like shit, bouncing all over the place, beating the crap outta my tools. So I thought "what would an e30 feel like with leaf springs and no shocks?". My answer was "shitty.". So I added some dampening and more compliant springs. So far it rides 20 times better and it's even empty for now. With a little weight in there it'll ride like a caddy. I hope.

Leave a comment:

• ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    Haha that is neat. How come you swapped them?

Leave a comment:

• Ether-D
    replied
    Dude, I thought I'd at least get some props for the coil-overs on the trailer…

Leave a comment:

Working...
X