X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ether-D
    replied
    Speaking of towing..
    I built a trailer from one of those Harbor Freight tiny trailers. I did a leaf spring delete , then I put shocks on it. It should be a nice ride for the cargo. I get to drive the vert from here in middle TN to Orlando and go with my ex-wife and my kids to Disneyworld. Then just me and the kids will zip on up the coast to Seaside, FL for a week. I reckon I'll have plenty of cargo capacity. Anyone in the TN - GA - South FL - Seaside, FL - I-65 corridor got any cool shit for sale? Cause I'll be able to haul it back…

Check it out:

Leave a comment:

• Ether-D
    replied
    Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
    I was out driving the Scout today and passed an old man in a black 944....

...Towing a 6' X 8' garden trailer.

So awesome, gave him a huge thumbs up and immediately thought you Ether.
    haha! I hope to be towing mowers and mulch with mine before too long.

Leave a comment:

• LJ851
    replied
    I was out driving the Scout today and passed an old man in a black 944....

...Towing a 6' X 8' garden trailer.

So awesome, gave him a huge thumbs up and immediately thought you Ether.

Leave a comment:

• Ether-D
    replied
    Teaser:

Leave a comment:

• Ether-D
    replied
    Alright. I got my head back from the machinist! It only took 3 weeks, but you know what they say; "Good, fast, or cheap. Pick two.". I picked good and cheap. I reckon I'll start some reassembly Monday. There are gonna be some real nice before/after shots of this motor.

Leave a comment:

• Ether-D
    replied
    Thanks GG. It pays to be one of your bitches…

Alright then, Today I rebuilt both balance shaft housings(?). That lower one kinda sucks. Especially since I forgot to put this little aluminum disc with the o-ring back in the first time. That may have made for a bit of an oil leak. After that, I reinstalled the water-to-oil cooler. Then it was time for the water pump. The guy who sold the car to me gave me a water pump to go with it so I removed the thermostat (housed within the pump outlet) and tested it in boiling water and it's fine. The only thing was that it didn't have any kind of seal around the thermostat. I found that odd so I looked up the diagram and, sure enough, it's supposed to have a nice little o-ring around it. I didn't have it so I made a nice little gasket for it and put her in the new pump. Snug as a bug now.

Rant:
    Now I know, I'm a bit of a redneck kinda riggy guy, but this car, was at some point owned by the biggest redneck rigging bastard (not the guy I bought it from, he just stored it for a year). There was rtv all over the place in this motor. A heli-coil in the block on one of auxiliary head bolts (not a main head bolt). But he drilled it all the way through into the water jacket, so it has to have rtv in it when I reassemble. No seal on the thermostat and the balance shaft pulley cranked on crooked. Ah, whatever. I'm fixing it all for him… jerk…

Leave a comment:

• george graves
    replied
    Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
    only thing 944s are useful for is engine swaps
    Shut your whore mouth! (1/2 kidding pandaboo911)

I'm seeing movement on this build - and I like it. Keep going OP! Woot!

Leave a comment:

• jameskkkd
    replied
    hi
    welcome to this site
    --------------------
    abcd

Leave a comment:

• Ether-D
    replied
    Pan is all torqued down in the proper sequence.
    I wire-wheeled the exhaust manifolds and wiped them down with some grease and wax remover (aka gasoline). Then I put a nice coat of VHT 2000º header paint and baked it on for durability during installation. Anywho, I'm hoping to get the head back tomorrow so I can put this thing back together. If he doesn't end up finishing it this week, I guess I can go on to cleaning out the fuel lines and tank. Which sounds a little boring. I guess it can't all be subframes and oil pans… 8-)

Leave a comment:

• Ether-D
    replied
    I can see it being a bit of a pain if it was your only car. But as a project on the side, it's fun. No pressure to "finish today or I can't make it to work tomorrow" kinda thing. If I lose patience with it, I can just walk away for a minute.

Leave a comment:

• jeenyus
    replied
    Awesome! Cool to see someone working on this. I was so close to buying one of these at one point in my life, but my mechanic said it was a "bush" to work on so I avoided it b

Leave a comment:

• Ether-D
    replied
    I finally finagled the oil pan out. That was… irritating… to say it nicely. Pressure washed it and wire-wheeled it. So much better. I don't mind my own grease, but someone else's grease gives me the creeps. Anyway, that allowed me to remove the oil pump and clean and reseal it. I know it's sacrilegious, but I used some Versachem type 2 sealant to seal the oil pump to the block. I promise to let you know if it works, but if kittens and little girl babies start dying all over, you'll know it was because I didn't buy the $50 special sealant. Now, the pan is back in and hanging from it's bolts because I need to look up the tightening sequence.

Pics for posterity:

Leave a comment:

• Ether-D
    replied
    Rebuilt and resealed cam tower. I gave it the classic treatment.

Leave a comment:

• agent
    replied
    Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
    The one with the turbo, obviously.
    potstir

Leave a comment:

• Ether-D
    replied
    I'm thinking black. But minus the turbo. And what's it doing over on that side anyway?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X