No announcement yet.

Porsche smorche - I have a car habbit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought about it. It would fit. I measured them and they be the same length block…
    Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Porsche guys have successfully rebored alusil stuff. Sunnen sells a paste for $50 that you rub on a certain way (not normal honing but with a certain pad over the hone). There are success stories on pelican parts and rennlist I think. You just dab it on until it has a specific dullish finish according to someone I read on there, I'll find my bookmark if y'all want.

Comment

^Nah, I'm not gonna mess with it. It's just a tiny scratch. Thanks for the info though.
        Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
        ~~~~~~~~~~
        I was born on 3/25…
        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I pressure washed the motor this morning. It was so greasy that your fingernails would turn black just looking at it. It's not completely clean, but it's a helluva lot better.

before:

after:

I pulled the balance shaft end caps and resealed and cleaned them. After that I replaced the oil pump main seal and o-ring. Then I painted the intake manifold and a metal coolant pipe that runs above the exhaust manifold.

The head is at the machine shop getting it's going over. I reckon I'll get to some heavy reassembly around mid week.
          ~~~~~~~~~~
          I was born on 3/25…
          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Hard deadline: 9/25/2015
            Originally posted by kronus
            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

I feel like it's possible brah. It's gonna be a good week for progress I think.

Now for an opinion question. Which one looks nicer and won't look weird in a green engine bay?

This one?

or this one?

I'm leaning toward the classic black.
              ~~~~~~~~~~
              I was born on 3/25…
              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post

Now for an opinion question. Which one looks nicer and won't look weird in a green engine bay?

The one with the turbo, obviously.

... with a black valve cover. Or gold valve cover.
                Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

I'm thinking black. But minus the turbo. And what's it doing over on that side anyway?
                  ~~~~~~~~~~
                  I was born on 3/25…
                  ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                    The one with the turbo, obviously.
                    potstir
                    Originally posted by kronus
                    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Rebuilt and resealed cam tower. I gave it the classic treatment.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~
                      I was born on 3/25…
                      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I finally finagled the oil pan out. That was… irritating… to say it nicely. Pressure washed it and wire-wheeled it. So much better. I don't mind my own grease, but someone else's grease gives me the creeps. Anyway, that allowed me to remove the oil pump and clean and reseal it. I know it's sacrilegious, but I used some Versachem type 2 sealant to seal the oil pump to the block. I promise to let you know if it works, but if kittens and little girl babies start dying all over, you'll know it was because I didn't buy the $50 special sealant. Now, the pan is back in and hanging from it's bolts because I need to look up the tightening sequence.

Pics for posterity:

~~~~~~~~~~
                        I was born on 3/25…
                        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Awesome! Cool to see someone working on this. I was so close to buying one of these at one point in my life, but my mechanic said it was a "bush" to work on so I avoided it b

Comment

I can see it being a bit of a pain if it was your only car. But as a project on the side, it's fun. No pressure to "finish today or I can't make it to work tomorrow" kinda thing. If I lose patience with it, I can just walk away for a minute.
                            ~~~~~~~~~~
                            I was born on 3/25…
                            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Pan is all torqued down in the proper sequence.
                              I wire-wheeled the exhaust manifolds and wiped them down with some grease and wax remover (aka gasoline). Then I put a nice coat of VHT 2000º header paint and baked it on for durability during installation. Anywho, I'm hoping to get the head back tomorrow so I can put this thing back together. If he doesn't end up finishing it this week, I guess I can go on to cleaning out the fuel lines and tank. Which sounds a little boring. I guess it can't all be subframes and oil pans… 8-)
                              ~~~~~~~~~~
                              I was born on 3/25…
                              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

hi
                                welcome to this site
                                --------------------
                                abcd

Comment

Working...
                                X