Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matracer's project: BRONZIT S52 - DYNO RESULTS P.8

Hi all,

This is my second project thread for the « same project ». It has been a long way since the beginning, about 7 years ago…

Phase one: The beginning

I first bought an unfinished project, a 87 325es. It was not in good shape, but had a ton of nice parts, including strong S50 (well, supposedly, you’ll see later ). Sorted the car a bit and used it a summer. Wanted to add flare and refresh the body but it was too rusted…

Here are fews pics

Last edited by MatRacer; 09-20-2017, 05:09 PM.
    E30 now S52
    2008 Suburban LTZ (Family and TT hauler)
    325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Phase two: fooling around

Bought 89 325i with a blown engine and a not so bad body for 250$. The plan was to completely rebuilt the car with the parts acquired in the phase one. The rebuild included a complete disassembly to repair all the rust. Time flew and about two years later, had acquired a nice little 220v welding machine and other tools, the body was still totally naked, and a lot of work was still required before even thinking about paint. I also got a first kid and the second one was in our plans.

Realised that this would be a never ending project so started looking at a clean body I could just swap in it all the parts I had.

Few pics of the process

I also worked on the engine, cleaned it, painted it, replaced the valve spring retainer and seal...welded the oil pump nut, etc...

Last edited by MatRacer; 06-17-2015, 05:35 PM.
    E30 now S52
    325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

Phase three: This is it (That's what I thought)

Found a very clean 89 325i. It was a Bronzit beige and auto so got it for relatively cheap. It had been own by an old lady that bought it in Florida and imported it in Canada. She sold it to an around 50 years old guy that used it as his summer fun car. Never seen a winter. This is very hard to find locally in the province of Quebec!

Few pics of its first summer with me

Ran it as is for the first summer and started the swapping all the goodies I had. S50 and zf320 went in. Finished in October 2014 and did about 300 miles to shake it a bit and see what would need more work. The exhaust had to be reworked and the 3,73 diff I had was way too short with the ZF (knew I would have to work it out).

Pics of the process

Pics of its first real ride with the S50, God it was nice

During 2014-2015 winter, rebuilt the rear end with Revshift green TAB and TMS solid subframe and diff mounts. Also swapped the 3.73 for a 3.15. I kept the diff itself cause it was a Diffs online unit. Also bought nice 15x8 et20 wheel + 225 RS3. Installed gauges and I was ready for my first track day with it!

I did three 15min runs and it was running very strong! The 225/45/15 RS3 were just insane! I was faster than a chipped 135i and a 2014 370z.

Until this -->

So I worked hard for like 6 years and I end up with a broken rod and exploded block…Just don’t understand what happened. Absolutely no sign…
      Last edited by MatRacer; 06-17-2015, 05:36 PM.
      E30 now S52
      325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

Phase four: The revival! (now)

The car is sitting in the garage waiting its autopsy… I’m a bit discouraged and exhausted. I rushed to finish it for the track day while also rushing at my job on a big development project and still trying to be present with my family… But E30s being what they are, I’m already starting to think about what route will take. In fact can’t stop thinking about it! And looking forward!

Motor options

Since I have an S50, finding a 3l short block is pretty hard (they manufactured it only for one year). The head should still be good by just replacing valves and getting it inspected. I think I may be able to save the e34 oil pan.

I can’t stop thinking about aluminium Block + M54 internals + S50 head and OB1 injection. Found a M52tub25 locally for like 500$. Found M54 internals parts on the web and the guy would be ready to ship it to me. Price still needs to be further defined.

In counterpart, I talked with Jean-Guy Camirand, a BMW engine builder. He has been racing BMW for many years and his shop is well known. He (and his son) mentioned that they are note recommending an aluminium block if the car is going to see track. They highly recommend going to an iron block. They have S52 blocks on the sheft rebuilted by professionals for 2K$... Which is quite expensive...

But If I buy an M50 block + M54 Intenals + all the littles bits, I may end up not that far for this 2k$...

Ready to ear all your suggestion and good ideas!
        Last edited by MatRacer; 06-16-2015, 07:29 PM.
        E30 now S52
        325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

Damn that is a clean bronzit!!!! I'm jealous. That broken engine sure is a bummer. Did you disassemble yet? I am very curious as to how the hell a stock s50 could throw a rod like that. Crazy.

Looking forward - don't let this snafu get you down. It's all part of the game. I would trust the wisdom of those engine builders you mentioned. A rebuilt s52 for 2k is not bad at all. You'd probably be in for ~1500 to get all the parts + machine work needed to rebuild it yourself, so for another $500 it might not be a bad investment for peace of mind and support.

Subbed for progress :) you won't regret it
          '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
          Shadetree30

Comment

Yeah, thanks for the support! I just need to take a step back and restart with a peace of mind.

Also, I neglected my truck... I need to work on it before starting the disassembly on the E30.

Will keep this thread updated!
            E30 now S52
            325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MatRacer View Post
              Yeah, thanks for the support! I just need to take a step back and restart with a peace of mind.

Also, I neglected my truck... I need to work on it before starting the disassembly on the E30.

Will keep this thread updated!
              Yup. I know the feeling. Been there. Just keep moving forward!
              '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
              Shadetree30

Comment

I have an m50tub25 block that has been collecting dust for a few years I know shipping would suck I bet it's less than $500

Comment

thanks for the offer! but...

There is one complete Z3 2.5 engine I could get locally for like 600$, but i'm sure that if I get there with 500$ cash, he'll just let it go!
                  E30 now S52
                  325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

Damn can't even give this thing away lol

Comment

lol!

I found a S52 "locally". for 2k. Same price as the rebuilt block. THe compression is said to be good and it has been sitting for 3 years... The engine is sold by a shop, not by an individual, so if something is wrong, I could at least get a little support form the shop...

Debating on rebuilt s52 block vs 100k miles complete s52 with 195 psi +-1 of compression.
                      E30 now S52
                      325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

Long time without update! Crazy winter...

Bought the S52 for 2K. The rebuilt engine with all the required stuff was like 4-5K! THe week after I bought the engine fould out that my shower was leaking!:( So worked on a complete bath room rebuild. Also, I was on a pretty big and crazy RnD project a my job so I was just having no time for the E30...

But now this is all done and I'm starting again on the E30! Started on S52 cleaning! pics in the next post.
                        Last edited by MatRacer; 03-18-2016, 08:48 AM.
                        E30 now S52
                        325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

E30 now S52
                          325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

Nice, glad to see you have made some progress. Keep us updated!
                            sigpic

Comment

Trying to decide if I will replace the valve seals while the engine is on the stand. I will probably do it. Had it done on my last S50 and they were all dryed and cracked...
                              E30 now S52
                              325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X