Schmidtye30's M52 Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schmidtye30's M52 Build Thread

So, last fall, I snapped the timing belt on my e30. I had pretty much decided that I would at some point do some kind of motor swap on my car, likely either M52 or a Ford V8.
    It was never really much of a priority but I would occasionally search CL, FB and other forums for motors or donor cars. A few months back I found a V8 out of an explorer but the deal fell through... but a couple weeks later a 96 328i popped up for $1k so I decided to jump on it.

Two weeks ago I started the process of ripping the m20 out of my car so I guess it's time to officially start my build thread :p

The thread will document my progress along the way and hopefully it will be a place I can get some questions answered along the way and and a place where some future swappers can get their questions answered as well!

Donor Car & first weekend of work

So this is the donor car. 1996 automatic 328i with ~170K miles
    I drove it home about 200 miles without much a hiccup! Engine seems to pull pretty strong and looks clean!

And here's the M20 coming out of my e30

Last edited by schmidty; 08-24-2015, 06:29 AM.

Comment

That m20 looks happy to be removed, good luck on the swap!

Comment

Here are my rough plans for the swap... nothing crazy really, just putting in the stock m52 for now

1. Engine
        M52b28, OBDII, ECU flash from MMW

2. Engine Wiring
        Not sure yet but plan on tackling this myself

3. Drivetrain
        Again, will stay stock for now until something breaks
        Getrag 260, shaved m20 flywheel, Condor Solid transmission mounts and brace

4. Shift Lever and Linkage
        Already had z4 shifter, will be keeping that after the swap

5. Motor Mounts
        Condor ounts

6. Brake Booster, Master Cylinder, and External Reservoir
        Plan on trying to run stock booster, and modifying clevis... and shaving the intake manifold if needed.

7. Steering System
        haven't thought that far ahead yet... would like to use e36 rack if possible

8. Cooling System
        again, haven't though this far ahead yet... stock M20 or M52 radiator with a Spal or IE fan?

9. Exhaust System
        Will either try to use stock e36 headers or ebay shorty headers to a Y-pipe and single exhaust the rest of the way

Comment

pics weren't working... fixed the links

Comment

Nice to see the old car still lives! Keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by Thatguy_JZ View Post
              Nice to see the old car still lives! Keep up the good work!
              I've been out of the r3v world for a while so forgive me if i dont remember who you are. Are you who I bought the car from? :o

Comment

Well, only about 6 months later and I finally bought an oil pan for the swap. Maybe now that we have moved into our house I can find some time to get the engine torn out of the e36 and ready for the e30

Comment

I'm finally getting around to pulling the engine out my donor e36 this weekend. Any pointers or gotchas to look out for?

Comment

Engine almost out

Having a hard time finding a rear mount point

Comment

I believe there is one right under the intake manifold. I can't quite remember where we hooked mine up at.

For putting the motor in, drop the front as much as possible and lift the rear as much as possible. I'm actually surprised you took the M20 out with the fan intact.
                      1989 325i S50 swapped
                      2007 4Runner Sport V8

Comment

Originally posted by bumada View Post
                        I believe there is one right under the intake manifold. I can't quite remember where we hooked mine up at.

For putting the motor in, drop the front as much as possible and lift the rear as much as possible. I'm actually surprised you took the M20 out with the fan intact.
                        Do u need to take the intake manifold off to get to it.

I did have the rear end up in the air pretty high to get the m20 out!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by schmidty View Post
                          Do u need to take the intake manifold off to get to it.

I did have the rear end up in the air pretty high to get the m20 out!!

Attach to the front of the motor, drop it on a jack and try to pull it out enough until you can reach the hook on the back. I didn't have to take the intake manifold off but I was worried the chain was going to crack it when it was coming out.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                          1989 325i S50 swapped
                          2007 4Runner Sport V8

Comment

Maybe hook up a strap under the bell housing and up to the cherry picker

-
                            Project
                            Parts for Sale
                            Feedback
                            YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by iwantspeed View Post
                              Maybe hook up a strap under the bell housing and up to the cherry picker
                              Yeah, someone else mentioned using s seatbelt for the back of the engine, we'll see, hopefully ill have some time to try and get it out this sunday

Comment

Working...
                              X