86 325es|Cammed 2.5 Daily Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

86 325es|Cammed 2.5 Daily Driver

I've shamefully been M.I.A. ever since the R3v facebook page took off and consequentially forgot to document a lot of the early stages...

That said, I hope to update this thread continuously and re-pledge my allegiance to the one, the only, r3vlimited.com if you will kindly have me back

This is going to be a pretty extensive picture dump of what I've done in the last couple of years. Hopefully you like what you see.

Comments and criticisms are welcome.

As well as recommendations. I am horribly indecisive.

Background:

The car is a 1986 325es
    -5 speed
    -Alpine White
    -Black Interior
    -Salvaged Twice :dot:

When I picked it up

Not a bad for living such a hard life in the hands of a college chick lol

From what I gather the car was hit pretty hard on the passenger side. The car had rear subframe damage which caused it to pull hard to one side. The accident damage along with the shot rear bushings meant that my car would go through a set of rear tires every month...

I ended up replacing it with a good subframe from an ex-track car that had some goodies
    • Stainless steel rear brake lines
    • Stud conversion
    • Ireland Engineering polyurethane bushings all around

I'll have to do some digging on my old computer to find pictures I took during the swap. The passenger side trailing arm tabs were bent pretty badly and the subframe itself was twisted.

[*Insert pics here]

At some point I swapped in ellipsoids and installed my roof rack and drove it around like that for a while.

Adventures

My friend took this pic at school

I also picked up some TSW Hockenheim R's but they went on a small haitus to a friend of mine when I was strapped for cash

Static ride height

After one summer of driving to Long Beach and Orange County for work, the car started showing signs of weakness in the cooling system. The registration was also due in November and being a broke college student, I decided to park it while I waited to find another job. In the mean time I drove my brother's Camry since he ended up going out of state for school.

He eventually came back for Christmas break so my buddy let me borrow his spare e30

The 8 weeks I spent with the unassuming '88 were heavenly

IE3 springs, Falken Azenis, e36 rack, Hawk pads, 3.73 LSD

This car was so much fun. When I finally dropped it back off to him I decide to bring my car out of hibernation (it was stashed away at his house)

Parked next to his euro Zender 320i

*Just before I parked it my good friend Jose (jp_slick) gifted me the front bumper from an 88 parts car. It had the smoked turn signals and plate delete already installed and really cleaned up the front end.

I immediately got it down to my friend's smog shop since the tags were now very passed due (April 3rd)

That same month I got Hired as a driver at Oreilly Right down the street from my house

Now that I was making decent cash with the awesome hours I was getting, I started gearing up to do a B25 swap

Literally :rofl:

My buddy Moe needed longer gears for his turbo M30 beast and I needed shorter gears after experiencing the 3.73 in the white '88 .

Ended up trading my 2.93 LSD straight across for his 3.73LSD

Pressure washing

Lifts make life so much easier

Moe hooked it up with a dope shift knob

I seriously considered leaving the car as it was. A Dinan chip and 3.73 completely transform a normal eta. I highly recommend it

Will resume tomorrow in the next post, this took a lot longer than I thought it would haha
    Last edited by nickflic3; 10-01-2015, 08:19 AM.
    Bronzit 4-door Swap Drifting somewhere
    Cammed B25 Swap Daily Driver
    Updated 10/1

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
    Maybe 300 CANADIAN HP, thats like 225 US HP.

In May, quite a few things happened.

So as I said, my car was having cooling issues but was somewhat manageable since I had the camry as a daily driver.

During this time I considered my favorable financial situation and started contemplating an M30 swap. However, one day while bullshitting at Jose's house, we reached an agreement that he would get me an m20 AND do all the work to install it.

In return all I had to give him was my beloved set of AC Schnitzer reps...

Good bye old friends...

I got this lump

Came out of the late model

I also ended up buying my wheels back from my friend who enjoyed them for a while

On may 23rd I made it to my first ever Bimmer Fest!

Payed 20 bucks to park literally a mile away from all the action -__-

But I managed to make some friends from Texas

Notable sights

The whole time I was driving with expired tags since I didn't have money to pay for the back fees + parking tickets (stupid street sweeper)

When I finally saved up enough money and went to go have the car registered, I discovered that the smog check I passed back in April had expired by just a couple of days and as per California law there were to be no exceptions :evil:

I paid the fines off, received a moving permit, and drove straight to a local smog shop

Where it failed

I decided that I would make it pass later and we decided to proceeded with the tear-down of the replacement engine.

Ordered many, many parts. (gaskets, timing belt kit, valve seals etc.)

In the middle of the tear-down a funny conversation happened in which I lamented the fact that I probably couldn't afford any power mods... Like a cam.

Jose then proceeded to point me in the direction of a mutual friend who just so happened to be parting out his cammed b25 setup.

When I messaged him to see if the parts were still available, he quoted me a deal that I just couldn't pass up. It included a Bimmerheads 272 cam, Bimmerheads chip, and a stock fuel rail with 17lb injectors.

Jose took his time with it for the next few weeks making everything look superb

In the midst of it all I bit the bullet and bought a crank scraper. The head was sent to the machine shop where they lapped the valves and installed the new valve seals. They also checked and cleaned the head. The cam was installed during this process.

All done

You can see some cool photos, builds and videos including my first start on our Instagram @slick_works

Miley what are you doing

Patiently waiting

And installed

The car started up first try and sounded like a beast (video is on out Instagram page)

Minor issues:

The machine shop did not tighten the valve adjusters (eccentrics?) and after driving it for a week a couple of rockers became loose enough to make it tick loudly.

Jose remedied that with a quick valve adjustment.

The second issue was more my fault; I guess I was "banging gears" too hard and broke my selector rod for the 3rd time

Thanks to my buddy Austin for coming in clutch with the free replacement, delivering it to my house, and helping me to install it

Last edited by nickflic3; 10-01-2015, 08:15 AM.
    Updated 10/1

Comment

Great story so far, subscribed!

RICHTER MOTOREN

1987 e30 325is Zinno - Restoring
      2004 e46 325xi Alpine - Daily
      2003 e46 330ci Topaz - Sold
      1988 e30 325is Zinno - RIP
      2007 Honda Ody - Family Truckster

'87 325is Restoration Build

Comment

Originally posted by pcrbmw View Post
        Great story so far, subscribed!
        Thanks!

I failed to deliver yesterday but I'll fix that now lol
        Updated 10/1

Comment

More recently my beloved shift knob tried to imprint an H patter in my arm

The pain of flesh injuries is easily overpowered by the feeling of pride and joy when I start up my car and hear that lumpy idle :)

(This is a video; click the picture)
          IMG_2577[1] by nickflic3, on Flickr

When your e30 sounds more beast than a Hemi

We threw on a random straight-through exhaust but it's a bit too droney and loud. This Spintech system will be going in soon, thanks to Arda.

Need to lower it badly...

Should I run these Mercury Sable skirts?

Last edited by nickflic3; 10-01-2015, 08:21 AM.
          Updated 10/1

Comment

ahhh the joys of being a broke college student. you're doing well for yourself though. keep it up. I think I saw a cheap set of front ie3 springs on the socal e30 FB page. I love my IE3s
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Nice build. Needs to be lowered ASAP lol

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                ahhh the joys of being a broke college student. you're doing well for yourself though. keep it up. I think I saw a cheap set of front ie3 springs on the socal e30 FB page. I love my IE3s
                Originally posted by efficient View Post
                Nice build. Needs to be lowered ASAP lol
                Thanks guys

That was actually me commenting back and forth about the IE3s haha Hopefully I can pick them up tonight
                Updated 10/1

Comment

Working...
                X