X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blake B
    replied
    Originally posted by aegul44 View Post
    this thread just had 2002 views. Do I get any reward for this accomplishment ?
    Yes sir, yes you do!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• aegul44
    replied
    this thread just had 2002 views. Do I get any reward for this accomplishment ?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Blake B
    replied
    Originally posted by 88SuperETABD View Post
    Buy it! you wont regret it! I love working on this thing!
    Only thing is I want another Datsun 240z.. I'd love to grab some gruppe 2 flares and have at it with an 02 but I just don't know which way I'd really be happy.

Might also feel that way because I've never been in a mobile 02

Leave a comment:

• 88SuperETABD
    replied
    Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
    A lift :)

Haha. That's on the list when I buy a house. I'm renting. So can only do so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• CorvallisBMW
    replied
    A lift :)

Leave a comment:

• 88SuperETABD
    replied
    Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
    Time/money spent on garage organization is never wasted. Looks good :up:
    Thanks. This is the first time I've had a real garage and want to set it up nice. Plan to make a metal welding work bench with a mounted vice and grinder/polisher, air compressor, air tools and a hydraulic press. I hope to have everything I'd possibly need to do a car job. I already have mostly everything except mentioned above. What else am I missing?

Leave a comment:

• CorvallisBMW
    replied
    Time/money spent on garage organization is never wasted. Looks good :up:

Leave a comment:

• 88SuperETABD
    replied
    1970 BMW Gruppe 2 2002 (M20B29 Turbo) Build

Did some things Sunday...

My friend Oliver came over to help me fit the gruppe 2 kit and see how screwed I was for fitment because I know body kits could be nightmares.

Rocker panel sideskirt cover thing had to come off and then the flare fit perfect!

After the front, we added the rear flare

And finally the front apron.

This didn't fit well because my front nose was hit and pushed in. But if the car was straight it looks like this kit fits very well. Nothing a rivet can't pull into place.

I wanted to mock these up because I will be bringing these to a very well known 2002 shop and they will be creating a mold from these flares. I'll let them announce themselves once they have them in production. But this is great! Because I can get a replacement flare if I mess one up here in CA instead of paying shipping from Europe

I made marks on where to cut in case they have my flares still when I'm ready to cut.

I then rented a spring compressor from Kragen and popped the springs off and removed the struts from the housings.

I will be prepping these for the IE sleeve kit that is in the mail. My TIG welder is supposed to show up today as well according to UPS Tracking. I still need to buy a tank/helmet/gloves/filler rod and a cart to start welding, but I have ran out of money with the holidays.

I stopped here because I was lazy. I'll do more this week.
    Last edited by 88SuperETABD; 08-29-2017, 10:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    What he said. I love working on mine its so simple I love it.

Leave a comment:

• 88SuperETABD
    replied
    Originally posted by Blake B View Post
    Builds like this are making it soo hard not to buy the 02 I drive past every day to work.

Leave a comment:

• Blake B
    replied
    Builds like this are making it soo hard not to buy the 02 I drive past every day to work.

Leave a comment:

• 88SuperETABD
    replied
    Originally posted by TroyShark View Post
    I always liked the way diamond racing steelies looked on 02s.

Cool the hear that you'll be modeling some stuff of the 02. Off topic but how do you like NX compared to Solidworks?

Well I actually am not as fluent on NX as I am on Solidworks. I self taught myself Solidworks in school, and we use NX at work. I took a NX 8 to 9 delta training for 2 days which got me familiar where stuff is but from what I got from NX is it's much more powerful and can model assemblies much faster/better than Solidworks. It's got lots of little tools/addons that Solidworks doesn't have. I take a new users training in January which is a 40 hr class. That should get me up to speed. Will be my first official training on CAD

Leave a comment:

• TroyShark
    replied
    I found them on Google. Don't know source so I want to verify them with my car/subframe. If they match I'll feel better. At work I have NX9 and Solidworks 2015. Not sure the rules on me using it for personally but I figured if I take my computer home and in my time model, I don't think they'll care.

I'm far from a vintage race so that's out the window. I'm more excited about building the car and enhancing my skill sets and seeing what I'm capable of than actually driving the car. I'm more excited about taking the vette to the track than the 2002. I'm a builder and I just love building/working on this car.

If anyone has any info or know where I can retrieve info like subframe dimensions/locating pts. It would be greatly appreciated :)

I always liked the way diamond racing steelies looked on 02s.

Cool the hear that you'll be modeling some stuff of the 02. Off topic but how do you like NX compared to Solidworks?

Leave a comment:

• 88SuperETABD
    replied
    Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
    The entire rear drive on the 2002 is roughly the same strength, most people don't use fresh rebuilt diffs so they tend to be the fuse.

If you are doing your own subframe, I would recommend using all E30 parts, trailing arms, CVs, diff, etc. I don't see much point in keeping the the small 2002 wheel bearings, stub axles, hubs, etc.

The medium case diff is taller on top than the small case, that is one area where clearance will need to be considered.

I thought about that too, and wanted to use an e30 trailing arm. But then you gotta consider the geometry change, camber curve, wheel rates for spring rates, etc. I already bought wheels and coils for the 2002 trailing arm. I think the 2002 hubs/bearings will be fine, there's tons of guys running wide rcomps and 15s, shoot, even 17s. E30 trailing arms give a 2" wider track width. Which isn't a bad thing as long as your flared like I'm going to, but it's also more unsprung weight that I can't justify making the switch, plus I hope this subframe is successful and it could be offered to the public and not everyone wants to run flares, but may want a LSD that works and medium case diffs are very easy to find and still have decent lock in used condition. And a bigger pumpkin in the back would help F/R weight distribution too. Or if they had their m10 turbo's or they can have a plug n play m20 drivetrain subframe available.

Will the wheel bearings last forever? Probably not, probably fail sooner than having a stock wheel too, but wheel bearings last a long time and this car isn't gonna be driven 100k miles anytime soon.

I don't plan to use the same axles and from
    What I read I can't. Catuned has someone make axles for this already. I think 2002 is 8mm bolts e30 diff is 10mm. I have to confirm this. I've yet to mess with the rear. I'm still learning about this car and its suspension. It's quite different than an e30s even though it's still McPherson/semi trailing.

Who knows. E30 TA's aren't completely out of the question down the road. We'll see where this welder takes me. But for now. Plan is to make a simple subframe with camber/toe adjustment and house the medium case diff. Don't need to reinvent the wheel here I feel.

Leave a comment:

• LJ851
    replied
    The entire rear drive on the 2002 is roughly the same strength, most people don't use fresh rebuilt diffs so they tend to be the fuse.

If you are doing your own subframe, I would recommend using all E30 parts, trailing arms, CVs, diff, etc. I don't see much point in keeping the the small 2002 wheel bearings, stub axles, hubs, etc.

The medium case diff is taller on top than the small case, that is one area where clearance will need to be considered.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X