Clear All

• kid325e
    replied
    Which transmission you running? Mounts?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• LJ851
    replied
    Whatcha doing for diff/halfshafts/etc. ?

Leave a comment:

• 88SuperETABD
    replied
    1970 BMW Gruppe 2 2002 (M20B29 Turbo) Build

Originally posted by kid325e View Post
    Subscribed. I have a feeling this is going to be epic!

I'm trying. I'm letting all my skills out on this one. And praying I have some tricks up my sleeve to pull this build off. First time doing a lot of things. But I have a vision and a plan for everything. I've been thinking about this build for years.

Hope to learn to TIG weld well enough to build a half cage for it. I taught myself how to MIG and successfully built this quadricycle with coilovers all around, custom a-arms and 4 link for my senior project. Nothing broke and it went 17mph with 4 people in it.

I found a new skill I LOVE doing. So plan to buy a Miller Diversion 180. May get a MIG down the road too. But the TIG looks so therapeutic and is more universal than the MIG for car projects I feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 88SuperETABD; 08-28-2017, 10:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kid325e
    replied
    Subscribed. I have a feeling this is going to be epic!

Leave a comment:

• TroyShark
    replied
    I wish I got to drive the ring but at least I got to see a 24h race which was awesome to experience. Nice build looking forward to seeing more.

Leave a comment:

• elcoy
    replied
    Sounds like a sweet set-up. I think I will go with Ground Control on my 02 eventually as well. We run it on a couple of our E30's and are super happy with it

Leave a comment:

• 88SuperETABD
    replied
    Originally posted by elcoy View Post
    Sweet build! I can't wait to see where it goes. What are you going to run for suspension?

Thanks,
    I have rear Ground control springs and adjusters. (450lb) Going to get the IE sleeve kit and run Koni's. I was very happy with my e30 on ground control/koni's.

IE big sway bars, roll center spacers, etc, will also be used. I have new poly bushings for the front as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• elcoy
    replied
    Sweet build! I can't wait to see where it goes. What are you going to run for suspension?

Leave a comment:

• 88SuperETABD
    replied

Received my 84mm IJ Crank scraper, this thing is pretty intricate. It has flap doors and beveled edges. Only complaint is i have to grind off quite a bit because the counterweights interfere by atleast 2-3mm.

Ended up returning it...

Also still need to weld my oil drain bung in the oil pain and rivet in the oil pan baffle.

I disassembled the oil pump and inspected everything and found the gears were worn so I ordered new ones from Blunt and "rebuilt" it. I have a new shaft and stoppers/seals.

So, through work I was lucky enough to go to Germany to pick up a part for one of our projects. I got to have 2 days to myself so you know for sure 1 day was devoted to going to the Nurburgring. I flew in to Frankfurt and drove to Landau to pick up the part, got lost, found the place finally and my work was done in Germany. I was now a tourist :)

I was so jet-lagged form the 11 hr flight that I didn't end up sleeping for the past like 28 hrs, so I passed out for a few hours just in time for a night in downtown Frankfurt. That was fun...then the next day got to go visit a very nice R3v'er Mike in Bamberg. He was AWESOME! He showed me around his town and basically made me want to move to Germany. I still want to. We drove to the Ring early in the morning and it was raining. Was kinda sketchy having your very first track day on the "the most dangerous track in the world" in the rain in a rented caged race car that is on Ohlin's with R888's. It was probably the best day of my life.

Here's the car I rented. It was the cheapest. I didn't get to plan for this trip. It literally was a Friday they asked me if I had a passport. Monday I was told to book a flight for Wednesday.

It doesn't look like much and it was FWD, which was weird, but it honestly had so much grip when it dried up and cornered nicely. Just had no balls whatsoever for getting up the elevation changes.

I'm so mad at myself because I didn't check to see if my SD card was empty. And low and behold it was full. So no footage of my laps :( Now I have to go back.

A pic of Mike and I in his daily e39. This was my first lap on the Nordschleiffe, and my first lap on a track.

One photographer got me on the carousel. Super stoked about that! Gotta find it and buy it!

I tried so hard to find some euro turn signals in Germany, but it was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. But Mike was nice enough to trade me his for my US spec ones.

Thanks again Mike! Big shoutout to you for being so cool and showing me around Germany and having me at your home.

Now that the motor is pretty much built I started to prep the 02 for the motor.

Have to take off this hideous fender. It was so scary cutting a car you intend to keep and use and hopefully make pretty haha.

But I succeeded

I have a real mess here. Anyone say roast beef headlight?

Just placed it there to see what she looks like without a giant dent and 1/2" thick of bondo.

I took it back off because I have more work to do before it can be mounted. I had some buddies come over and we took down my front suspension. This was fun. And pretty easy. Came down with 6 bolts on the subframe, 6 bolts on the struts and a couple bolts on the coupler and it came right down.

I finally caught up :) Were at present day with the build. I will disassemble the front suspension next.

Last edited by 88SuperETABD; 08-28-2017, 10:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 88SuperETABD
    replied
    Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
    Awesome build! This thing is going to be killer. Following this one
    Haha. Thanks, but Nothing compared to yours! I read every page of your build. Sad to see you sold it...I read yours so many times. Loved it.

Originally posted by mbonder View Post
    What are your goals for boost, HP, TQ?
    Whatever 15psi brings. I'm guessing 370whp/tq? Just want to build a fun car.

Leave a comment:

• mbonder
    replied
    What are your goals for boost, HP, TQ?

Leave a comment:

• CubbyChowder
    replied
    Awesome build! This thing is going to be killer. Following this one

Leave a comment:

• 88SuperETABD
    replied

That was as far as I got before the build took a stop because I was moving. But its for the good because now I have been doing some decent progress finally.

Picked up a steering wheel. I've always loved this wheel and it seems to be right at home in a 2002.

Momo Prototipo

Got a replacement drivers fender. Since mine had a giant dent and tons of bondo.

Jasco Paint stripper works wonders.

Went to my dads storage and pulled out my 02 to be towed to my new place with a garage!

And in her new home that she won't be moving from for a while.

And the first modification!

Battery belongs in the back in a bimmer.

I really like this brace. Battery relocation, battery disconnect, and rear brace in 1!

New aux shaft gear to replace the old stamped piece

Put some modeling clay to check the piston to valve clearance.

Torqued the head

Timing belt on

Gave her a couple rotations and checked the clearances. Whats minimum clearance?

Got the belt back on and tensioned

Got the T4 adapter bolted up for mock up. I forgot to order exhaust gaskets, But couldnt wait to see what it looked like with a turbo next to it :)

I'm slowly re-orginizing the garage. Eventually I want to equip it with an Air Compressor, Air Tools, Press, and a TIG welder. But started cheap so...

Got some more light for the garage!

Installed the 60# injectors

Last edited by 88SuperETABD; 08-28-2017, 10:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 88SuperETABD
    replied

In order to use the m52 crank it needs a spacer for the oil seal to ride on.

This was my first time doing an interference fit, get it blue hot.

Unloading the block...

The workshop lol.

Is a paperclip clearance good enough??

ARP Torqued

Installed wrist pins/pistons onto rods.

All 6 of them.

Can't use pistons to push rings down when theyre dished...just used a locked caliper to push down evenly to do piston ring gaps

Then push all of them in their holes :P

Threw down some aluminum paint for that weight savings ;)

ARP head studs threaded in.

Gonna try the HX35 for a budget turbo for now just to get the car on the road.

eBay special, seems to be in good condition. no shaft play, spins smooth.

Had to get rid of the internal wastegate tho and I figured might as well add some bling to the compressor. I regretted taking this on but once i started i couldn't stop.

Hours Later

Some More Hours Later

And a final shining. Never again. I will pay for a polished housing next time...

Got new seals pressed in to the covers.

I was planning on doing Turbo Flares until these popped up locally.

Gruppe 2 Fender Flare kit. This one is from Belgium according to the PO.

Theyre pretty wide :)

He wanted to sell me these Jongbloed wheels, 15x10 with 275 hoosiers. I didn't like the fact they were redrilled and also didn't have the cash at the time for them. But i will have a set made for me.

Goetze Gasket on.

Put the head on, and started assembling front of the motor

Installed water pump

Covers on, even though they had to come back off for the Tbelt

Love how it turned out

Last edited by 88SuperETABD; 08-28-2017, 10:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 88SuperETABD
    replied

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
    Good to see you make a thread. Also, belated congrats on graduating!

Thanks, I graduated in May, So I have some catching up to do on the thread. As you know we've talked months ago about the crank spacer stuff.

Originally posted by mbonder View Post
    Nice work so far, I love the amount of detail, weighing every component to maximize savings.
    Its all in the details in my opinion what makes a car reliable. Can't just keep putting gas, oil, and water and expect everything to last for ever.

And for the weights. I just want to document these kinds of things. For everyones knowledge.

Originally posted by Steven View Post
    Brandon. Happy to see you're finally posting up about your 2002!
    Yeah about time right? Hah. And its BrandEn

So here is the completed head. Had to source used rocker shafts because they are NLA and I damaged the ones hammering off the rockers with no spring compressor.

Also got a single mass flywheel lightened form 18 to 15 lbs by Felix. Here is the backside where he took off some meat.

I ended up selling that one to my friend in need of a flywheel. It ended up working in my favor because my friend had a 323i flywheel. Which is 13 lbs. This is BMW's lightest flywheel for the m20. You can see how much less material there is on back of flywheel.

Since I'm going turbo, I needed some tuning capabilities. So I chose to go Megasquirt because it seemed to be successful on a lot of peoples turbo set ups and for the DIY portion it was only $400. I want to learn as much as I can with this build and collect valuable skills I can use in my future.

Plus I never use my soldering iron haha. So here it is.

Was happy that DIYAutotune had good instructions and a nice printed board because it was pretty easy.

Piece by piece was soldered in

I had soldered the 55-pin adapter upside down...that was a huge mistake. Luckily my buddy helped me undo my F**k up with some heatguns he had at work.

Started the jumpers

And Finished!

Plug n Play...atleast I hope. I have KAMotors base tune for 60lb injectors, which he also sent me.

Next post will be of the block assembly.
    Last edited by 88SuperETABD; 08-28-2017, 02:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X