The Adventures of Golden Boy, my Rebound E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oprahhwinfreyy View Post
    Duuuuuuuudeeeee, I can already tell I'm going to love this car based on your plans. Can't wait to see that bumper swap.
    Thanks man! I think the bumper swap will transform the car. It's too bad BMW didn't put lower rear valances on the early models, it makes them look pretty unproportional in my opinion, so I'm aiming to fix that.

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
    --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

I'm very excited to see where this goes. All of these simple, fresh build threads popping up are killing me knowing that my iX is in storage 700 miles away. I want an early model w/euro bumpers in the worst way.
      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Glad you found a new project. Only bad thing those wheels look like boat anchors.
        https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

What happened to the black e30 you had?

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
            I'm very excited to see where this goes. All of these simple, fresh build threads popping up are killing me knowing that my iX is in storage 700 miles away. I want an early model w/euro bumpers in the worst way.
            Believe me, they were killing me too. I've been visiting the project forum frequently for the past 3+ years and would always get anxious to work on something, but didn't have the means to until recently. Very excited to be back at it.

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
            Glad you found a new project. Only bad thing those wheels look like boat anchors.
            Thanks, I'm glad too. The wheels are 17lbs each, I'm not upset about it.

Originally posted by efficient View Post
            What happened to the black e30 you had?
            I had to sell it as soon as I moved into my shop space so I could buy a little shop truck.

Comment

While this update isn't about progress on Golden Boy directly, I consider it part of the build because it's going to make working on it way better and more convenient. I only have so much floor space in my shop and I'm always trying to come up with ways to maximize space efficiency. My lift area as of lately has become more of a storage spot than an actual place to work on cars. This is the only photo I could find which shows how it's been set up for the past few months, you can see that I had a ton of stuff stored under the '02:

With the '02 leaving soon (within the next week or two hopefully), I figured it was the perfect time to build one of my ideas that I've been tossing around in my head for the last year or so. It's not meant to be anything pretty, it just serves a strictly functional purpose so I used some basic cheap materials. Made a Home Depot run and started building out the frame:

added some supports and flipped it over:

Layered it with OSB and then had the idea to wire lights into the bottom, so I made another Home Depot run and got everything I needed. I flipped it on it's side and then started wiring up the lights:

Got it all buttoned up and tested it out. I'm not very experienced with wiring so I'm always slightly nervous that I messed something up, but thankfully everything worked great, this stuff was very straight forward:

Got it on the ground, check out my sick underglow, needs more neon...

Got the '02 on the ground and rolled it out of the shop. This was a weird sight to see, it'll probably never go up on my lift again after this point:

So at this point you're probably wondering what the hell the purpose of this weird transportable stage with underglow lighting is. In the picture above you can see it off to the right packed with finished furniture and other things.

My goal was to be able to get as much stuff off the ground as possible. I had a lot of stuff that was taking up valuable floor space and just getting in the way, it was starting to drive me crazy. I can't work in a cluttered messy environment, it just throws my whole work flow off.

This platform was designed to be placed overhead on the lift while it's not in use and light up the new empty workspace underneath it. When I do want to put Golden Boy up on the lift, all I have to do is simply lower it and roll it out of the way. I still have a lot of tidying up to do but I was super eager to see it in action so I had to snap a pic as soon as I turned the lights on for the first time. I'm amped on how it turned out, it makes such a big difference in workable floor space, plus it only cost about $150 to build which is an added bonus:

Now that I got to try it out, I have a few little things I want to change. Mainly just bigger/stronger casters because it's pretty heavy and the current casters feel maxed out. I'd also like to fashion up some sort of safety feature that would prevent it from squashing me in the event of an earthquake or something like that. It would just be good peace of mind, plus I'd like to stick around for a while longer.

Tucked the '02 under it and called it a night:

Just for fun here's a set of nesting work tables I built out of some free steel I got earlier this year to help save on floor space while having extra workable table space. I'm all about finding weird little ways to make things more efficient:

Getting very excited to start a new chapter at the shop :)
              Last edited by CubbyChowder; 12-13-2015, 03:41 PM.

Comment

That is so cool! Ultra creative and the efficiency is extremely awesome. Nice work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I like the weeble wobble tables. Would be nice to have some lockable wheels like on a tool box. Remember seeing something similar at the Mythbusters workshop. Good luck on the new build!

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                  DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by ginger1340 View Post
                    That is so cool! Ultra creative and the efficiency is extremely awesome. Nice work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Thanks man!

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
                    I like the weeble wobble tables. Would be nice to have some lockable wheels like on a tool box. Remember seeing something similar at the Mythbusters workshop. Good luck on the new build!
                    Thank you, you can't tell in the photo but each table actually has a set of locking casters on it so I can plant it in place. I use that feature all the time, couldn't live without it.

Comment

Very nice buy Mike. Good luck on the E30. Once I have my S50 E30 finished I'll have to come down and visit (maybe lend a helping hand as well). It's also good to know the 2002 is in my back yard.

Comment

Originally posted by zumjosh View Post
                        Very nice buy Mike. Good luck on the E30. Once I have my S50 E30 finished I'll have to come down and visit (maybe lend a helping hand as well). It's also good to know the 2002 is in my back yard.
                        Thanks man and yes you definitely should!

Comment

So I'd like to reach out to everyone following this and gauge interest in content that I post on here. Since this is a build thread for my e30, would you guys prefer that I keep it mostly e30 related? Or would you guys be interested in seeing my weekly shop activities/projects on top of Golden Boy content? I post most of my shop related stuff in my GarageJournal thread but I'd be happy to post it here too if you guys would like to see it.

Would like to hear some feedback!

Comment

Can't speak for anyone else, but I always love seeing other work people do. You never know what kind of ideas you might spark in someone else's head, or what kind of ideas they might spark in yours. Also, it is "the project forum" after all.
                            '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                            Shadetree30

Comment

That's thinking outside the box. What a clever idea with the lights below to glow up your working area benethe you. I personally would love to see your work projects as well, I'm into a lot of custom fabrication for home goods and multiple other things and to see some
                              Of the stuff you build is pretty awesome I must say. Would love for you to come down and make some stuff for my garage to open up some space, lol. Looking forward to much more. Cheers!
                              _keepitgutter
                              88 Alpine white Super Eta

Comment

Wonderful canvas to start with, looking forward to updates!

As for the thread, I'd love to see some of your day to day shop activities as someone who just started working on my first mixed material tv console.

The lift storage/lighting is a brilliant idea!
                                -Todd

Current: 1991 Diamantschwarz Metallic 318is

Gone: 2004 Flame Red Neon SRT-4

Comment

Working...
                                X