Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

85 323i grey market euro - M tech 1 build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mmm painty

how are you planning to mount the foglights to that apron?
    cars beep boop

Comment

Took me 9 months to get my car painted. Worth the wait but man it was FOREVER

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
        mmm painty

how are you planning to mount the foglights to that apron?
        As I understand it...i tear down the foglights from the old housings to the point were they have protruding pegs on the sides. Then drill holes in the foglight ears on the M tech 1 airdam where the pegs will sit on each side. Apparently they no longer mount to the valance but to the M tech airdam itself from what I've been told. I'll figure it out when the time comes.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Test fitting the air dam proved to be very telling. My euro car has slightly bent bumper centers that I thought wouldn't be a big deal once the m tech kit was fitted...I was wrong. Once I saw how the air dam fit it became apparent that the fit of the air dam and trim relied on the condition of the bumper. Looks like I will be ordering a new center.
          Last edited by reelizmpro; 10-29-2016, 04:17 PM.
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

I have two dents on the front of my euro bumper and I'm planning on getting a CEP mTech 1 also... what was wrong with your fitting ?

Comment

If you look closely, the right side of center bumper is bent and slightly twisted. It's just a matter of twisting it back without damaging it. I did my best to straighten out the center piece and I got it aligned much better now. Most of it is hidden behind the airdam and trim so it isn't visible and since the CEP kit has no holes you can make your own. This is good and bad. The bad is you don't know exactly how to mount it or where exactly to drill the foglight mount holes. The good is, you can make your own holes and use whatever hardware you have on hand.

Here's the test fit, which is acceptable so I will go forward and mount the side trims. The front is taking long because while I have the hardware, I couldn't find much info on where it goes exactly. I had to read through the M tech 1 thread to find a link to the installation instructions. All 3 trim pieces must be modified to work with the M tech airdam. You need to grind off tabs and webbing mostly. Then use special bolts on the side trim instead of the clips.

I noticed that the CEP front spoiler isn't an exact 1:1 copy where it mounts to the bumper. It doesn't use the nut for the main bumper mount. There is no material there. CEP also doesn't extend up onto the fender arch.

This is an original ...

This is the CEP version...

Also there's no stop for the foglight adjuster. I plan on making my own with a small L bracket. Ahhh the little things they neglect to mention but there's always a catch with aftermarket repros.

So far the only differences I've seen are some of the mounting locations have been removed on the CEP kit.
              Last edited by reelizmpro; 11-05-2016, 05:28 AM.

Comment

For some reason none of the pictures show up. appreciate the help though and if you could post the link on how to install the front air dam that be great. awesome car, awesome build

Comment

Originally posted by Mixedbyjairo View Post
                  For some reason none of the pictures show up. appreciate the help though and if you could post the link on how to install the front air dam that be great. awesome car, awesome build
                  Photobucket server was down. Here's installation instructions for front skirt:

Last edited by Skarpa; 11-05-2016, 07:25 AM.
                  E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

Here the clips are replaced by special T screws and nuts. This had me stumped for a bit because I had seen that some people installed these not to hold the trim on but to secure the spoiler itself but after looking at the instructions carefully, it became clear what they were intended for. I also installed an extra bolt/nut to secure the airdam on the side.

All bolted up... the bumper center doesn't look too bad after I managed to bend it back into form.

Can't wait to clean up the car and get fresh headlights, emblems and grills on it.
                    Last edited by reelizmpro; 11-05-2016, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Installed the rear decklid spoiler today. I got the bolt on version but discovered that the 2 left bolt holes do not line up. I either drill the holes in the trunk bigger or not use them. I opted to use the other bolt holes along with 3M double sided trim tape. The spoiler isn't going anywhere. The edge was painted satin black to mimic the original black rubber.

Not bad at all except for the two misaligned bolt holes. Fits as good as the original.

The rear bumper is off but I spent most of the time taking out a large wave in the middle.

If you look closely you can see the 30lb reinforcement brace that they installed inside the bumper to have the car federalized. Although they look nice, Euro bumpers really do nothing to protect the body. They are more ornamental than anything. I always thought they at least used bumper shocks to absorb some of the impact but they do not. They just bolt right onto the body.

Tomorrow, I install the rear apron which seems pretty straightforward. I read that the rear trim is too short with the apron and there is an M tech part $130 that is a bit longer. Being that the CEP material is very thin I don't see this being an issue but I'll find out tomorrow. I know the end caps can be modified to work so it shouldn't be too bad.
                      Last edited by reelizmpro; 11-08-2016, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Looks good bud. Love all the pictures you are posting. Going to pick up my Mtech1 kit this Thursday.

Mr. Wolfe
                        sigpic

Comment

Project is coming along nicely! Can't wait to see the finished product.
                          Continuous For Sale Thread
                          323i s50

Comment

Looks great! I've got a 323i as well, and I think I've seen your car in the facebook group but it was pre-Mtech conversion. Glad to see you're putting in work. I am too.. but mostly boring mechanical stuff that isn't quite as pretty.
                            '86 Burgundrot 325 2.8 stroker.

Build thread

Other cars:
                            2000 Porsche Boxster
                            2006 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
                            1972 Porsche 914

Comment

the endcap modification is a pain in the ass.. I used a box cutter but if you have a small reciprocating saw it might be a little easier.

mounting the rear is a pain in the ass unless you have two people

protip, put the mounts on the bumper first, then slide the whole thing onto the car

unless you have baby arms, there's no easy way to get to the nut that holds the mounts to the bumper with it on the car.
                              cars beep boop

Comment

Speaking of end caps...my reciprocating saw made quick work of it. Seriously, it took seconds to lop the ends off.

I would have had the rear end back together but I misplaced one of the bumper bolts.

Kronus, thanks for the tip. I figured 2 people would be the way to go. Don't want to scratch the fresh paint.
                                Last edited by reelizmpro; 11-08-2016, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X